1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

GOES (Global Entry Program)

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Turtleman, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got my approval today for the Global Entry and TSA Precheck program. Not that I travel internationally all that much, but I hope it will still be worth the hassles and $100 over the next 5 years. A week and a half ago, I must have spent a half hour in the so-called Frequent Flyer Expedited Line at the Atlanta Airport waiting to get through Security. Meanwhile, Ms. Gecko who was already a member of the TSA Secure Passenger Program, and now GOES, was waiting for me on "the other side." That's 30 minutes we could have spent in Delta's Sky Club adjusting our attitudes.

She's off to Belgium later this week and is looking forward to a much speedier entry back into this country upon her return. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to leaving my shoes and belt on, liquids in my carryon bag, and not being irradiated on my next Vegas trip.

Anyone have any experiences to share regarding this program?

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do you qualify?

3. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was the best $100 I have ever spent with the government......and believe me, they get plenty of my money. I had 9 round trips where I got the pre check every time. Then, United went in and messed with my profile in January, so didn't get picked for pre-check on the way to or from Vegas. :grrr: We called United who claimed it made no difference and it was totally random.

One thing I learned the hard way is that what is on your GOES account needs to be exactly the same as your profile in the airline. I didn't get selected one time for pre-check after I got my GOES account until after I synced up all my info. I saw this tip on a chicago newspaper online.

My drivers license has my maiden name as the middle name, my passport has my middle name as the middle name and my United profile was a mish mash. Make sure you have one profile for everything and I would go with just first and last name.

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After I posted, I Googled. Our home airport isn't on the list and then we would have to do an interview in Vegas, the place we fly the most, or drive to Chicago and schedule an interview.

6. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the many benefits of living in the frozen north! :D

7. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe
    You can save yourself 30-45 minutes in line at LAS if you have TSA Pre-check. There is never a line at McCarran in terminal 1 for the pre-check. The interview process was so very easy....watched a video of what GOES meant and I was in and out within 15 minutes. YMMV

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The entire process at the airport upsets me and no, it doesn't make me feel safer.:nono: But OTH, we always arrive ~2+ hours before departure, so I don't know if it's worth the effort.

Coming back from Tampa on Tuesday, we ran into a TSA **** and she wanted everybody to know she was in charge. Long lines (for a Tues morning) and she was screaming at everyone on how and where to line up. Just being an ass about the entire thing.

9. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it all depends on how much you like standing in line. If you get those three wonderful beeps (meaning you can use the TSA pre-check line), you will find there is rarely anyone in front of you and at LAS, you have a separate screening line. Additionally, you go through the Xray machine rather than the other machine.

I would pay the $100 every single year if I could always go through the pre-check line every time. But, my tolerance for lines is pretty much zero....plus all the folks in those lines who don't know what to do when they are going through the security lines.

10. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's cheaper to buy NEXUS if you live near Canada like Seattle, Detroit, Buffalo, etc. If you get NEXUS you get GE as well, but if you get GE you don't get NEXUS.

11. sailboat310

sailboat310 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the GOES programs, it's breeze getting through the customs/immigration lines. At O'hare there is a bank of machines that you go through. Ironically enough, out of my last 5 trips, twice the machines were out of order. You just walk to the front of the line.....(trying to ignore the hundreds of eyes on your back) and take the next agent. Show em your sticker on the backpage of your passport and voila. You also do not need to fill out a customs form as you can do that at the terminal (if the machine is operating). I guess if you're flying in first or business, the lines are never that long anyway...but for us regular joes, GOES will save you 30-45 min.

As for the TSA pre-approved....with the GOES approval, you get approved for the TSA pre program. However LUVSTP hit it right on the head. Your passport and airlines registration info must be an exact match. Out of 16 flights, I was never approved once. What drives me nuts is that my passport has my full middle name where my drivers license has only an initial. I do not want to carry my passport for domestic flights. Anyway, still the pre-approved line at McCarran will still get you into the same line as first class, but you just get sent into the regular security line which will still save you 30-45 minutes.

12. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    love it. went with GOES about a year ago and Precheck is awesome. not to mention our trip to Europe last summer was a breeze coming back through customs. just go to the kiosk, show them the slip and you're done. no long line whatsoever. but the best part is precheck. just used it today in fact and nothing is better. makes you remember how air travel used to be.

contrary to what's been posted, the precheck line at McCarran is not the same as the first class line. yes it starts in the same place, but if you're precheck they put you through the special line on the far right that's just a regular metal detector and you don't have to take off your shoes, take out your laptop, etc.

13. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter:
    What's your track record for getting precheck? I was on a roll until January.....grrrr

And yes, it is not the same as the first class line as you get your own line. Should have said it is in the same area as first class.

14. sailboat310

sailboat310 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To clarify...I meant the its the same entrance as first class, but since I've been rejected 100% of the time, you don't have to go back and wait in the regular line, but just get sent into the regular security checkpoint. Still shaves 30-45 off the regular line wait.

And yes for you lucky ones with the confirmation beeps, it is the lane to the right where everyone waltzes through in less than 2 minutes....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.