1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best Time To Buy Your Ticket Con't.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jimbo338, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a chronic question and I just noticed an article on Yahoo.com that stated that this was studied by CheapAir.com who tracked 560 million fairs and found that generally the cheapest time to buy a domestic ticket was 49 days before takeoff appromimately and 81 days for international flights with some exceptions such as major holidays.

I always book when something that looks good comes along as soon as the reservation system is extended (I fly Southwest) and rebook it if the price drops keeping the difference in credit. My experience for my 18 trips does not support their findings, and the comments left after the article was quite critical of their findings as well. So there you have it for what it's worth.

Jimbo338

2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    49 days seems a bit early from what I’ve observed, but not too far out of line from my own experiences. Recently (past couple of years), I’ve found that I usually get the best prices in the 3-6 week range. Anything more than 8-10 weeks out is way too early. Anything less than three weeks and you’re really taking your chances.

3. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have found with SW that there is little rhyme or reason. I have gotten great fares way out, on Saturdays and at all hours. The only way to guarantee a good fare is to know what that price is for you airport and jump on it when you see it. I have noticed that after about 6 weeks out the SW fares stop fluctuating so much to the good and steadily increase for what that is worth.

I fly out on Feb 21, I booked my fare in November and it has not gotten any cheaper. I could have booked in late Oct./Early Nov. and saved about 40 bucks, but I was counting on a big drop in late Nov. early Dec. like they did last year. Didnt happen this year!

4. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to agree with Jimbo. Southwest is great for booking and re-booking flights, especially with no fees for re-booking, and the purchase credits that you get to keep in your account (conf. #).

Once we have specific dates picked out for a trip, we will book SWA flights as soon as we come across an attractive price. From that point on, we will check & re-check those SWA prices 3 or 4 times per week, and will often re-book the same flights at least a couple times, as we come across price drops. SWA makes it very easy ... we love to fly SWA !!

*** We're flying SWA out to LV this coming Wednesday, out of Chicago Midway, for $118 each way, p/p.
    *** The April trip below in my "countdown" we have booked at fares of $128.

5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My experience is more along the lines of 60 days out +/- a week so I can see the 49 days. But I mostly fly to one place and the patterns for Vegas specifically may not reflect all the probables. Also, when I book on an airline other than Southwest, I stop tracking fares because I know that I can't get a refund or credit that would justify a change fee. So there are times when I probably could've waited to get a better fare but I chose blissful ignorance instead.

6. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Peter Greenburg, resident media travel expert, and one guy I really respect, says to wait until at least 45 day in. At that point, he says, airline begin to adjust their prices based upon passenger load. Prior to 45 days, there isn't movement downward like there is after that.
    The exception would be if an airline is running a special sale, such as a cyber Monday or whatever.

7. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone please don't think that SW offers the lowest fares... even their CEO said that.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can get lower fares on other airlines - before all the fees! But seriously, some airlines have to be significantly cheaper for me to take them over SW. I know people claim SW isn't budget anymore but I think they real problem is the legacies aren't premium anymore.

9. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Understandable. Personally, I prefer legacy carriers since I can use the miles for more valuable trips than SW.

10. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have checked SW, and although maybe $50 cheaper total roundtrip, there is a stop both ways involved. For $50 I would much rather fly non stop. On the way to Vegas from MPLS the stop is in Chicago. That is way out of the way and adds a ton of time on to the flight. No thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.