1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

1st class airfare

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bo333, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've noticed over the past few years that prices for first class have come way down (at least from Austin to LV).
    It's now almost cheaper for me to buy first class than to buy an upgrade.

Anybody else notice this?

[and yes I know I'm spoiled, my days of riding in cattle class have long been over! :Þ]

2. MWJ51102

MWJ51102 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. Twice in the past year I have flown first class on Delta IND-LAS because it was cheaper than flying on Southwest.

3. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Found this out on my trip last October. For me, from NE Florida, SW runs about the same price as Delta coach. SW does fly direct, but I'm too tall and too old to spend 5 hrs straight on a SW flight standing in line for the bathroom. I got the round trip in first for about $100 each way over coach. But when you add the free drinks, free HOT food, comfy seats, leg room, luggage priority, easy on easy off it's a no brainer. I don't have to pack entertainment or snacks and have much better choices in times and layover cities.

I was freaking out when I was checking prices for my April trip. The airfare in first had almost doubled! I was persistant and found it last Sunday for the same price I paid in October. You just have to keep checking. By Thurs it was back up to double and yesterday it dropped again, but still more than I paid. I think of my deal in first class my first 'win' of the trip.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, have noticed that. With old age setting in and a heavy drinking habit, we have paid a bit more for first class on a few flights. Just nice to be able to do it without paying an arm and a leg.

5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me first class is like sex

Its ok if they give it you ,but not really worth paying for. Last time I noticed a big drop off in the food quality,(no steaks,just ravioli and some other crap) and cheap liquor also. No hot towells and fresh baked cookies either. This was on Continental right before United merger.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Must clean coffee off my screen, a damn funny line, way to go JG!

7. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also used to see coach/FC prices not being significantly different after factoring in things like food/lounge access/baggage fees. But I've seen bigger differences lately, at least between SEA-LAS.

The coach fares are constantly on sale (currently $88 each way w/ tax, though sometimes I think they've been a little lower). FC *never* goes on sale, and the prices have gone up over the last few years. Currently $414 :eek: each way. A paid FC upgrade (which I haven't seen available on this route in many years) is $50 each way.

8. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to pay about $1500 from Austin to LV.
    Then it dropped to about $1200.
    Last year it was about $900.
    And my 1st trip this year is down to $830.

9. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great!!! A couple times a year I travel across country and I always finagle a first-class ticket into the deal... it's a must. A couple hours or less, I don't care, but the long hauls are just too uncomfortable otherwise.

10. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been watching prices on kayak lately depending on what day the flight is and how far from the travel date, I've found round trip for boston to vegas for around $650. And considering you dont have to pay for luggage it saves another $50. I can definately justify an extra $200-250 for going first class.

11. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you really expect good food in an airplane especially on a US carrier? :confused2:

12. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It has gotten cheaper but the problem is the service has gone way downhill. First class now is what coach used to be several years back. but coach is so bad that I always choose first for flights longer than about 2.5 hours.

13. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well it couldn't last forever. Seems the prices are back up!

14. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The business class rates for Air Canada to Vegas have certainly gone down, but still aren't competitive with the US carriers. I don't mind so much riding in AC cattle class, though, because the seats are normally wider than a lot of the old US planes, and you can often buy the business class meal for $14 or so.

My biggest problem with buying first on the US carriers is that the first/ last leg for me is often on a single class Embraer, so what I do is buy the economy class and hope for a decent last minute upgrade offer for the domestic leg. I've had pretty good luck with United doing that, and in fact the last ticket I bought had a decent offer right after I'd purchased the original economy class for LAS-DEN.

15. CosmoM

CosmoM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kind of what Shifter said about domestic first class service, but leg room and comfort are more important than service IMO. Using airline status I can get economy plus or better after an economy seat purchase for free. This results in a significant cost savings for an equivalent direct purchase.

I also have airport lounge access for most airlines, which adds to the comfort factor.

I have to fly now.

Cheers,

Cosmo

16. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    United uses a 757-200 with lie-flat seats occasionally on the EWR-LAS flight, so I recommend looking for a flight on the 752 and checking the seat-map.

17. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, they came back down this week, almost back to the lows. If you watch 1st class fares they almost never move, they've been moving around like cattle class does. I grabbed some as soon as they went low :evillaugh
    My assistant already thinks I'm crazy with all these vegas trips, she's really going to wonder now (I just got back)!

18. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The steaks, better liquor, hot towels and fresh baked cookies are all standard in United First Class.

19. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always check the seat map, I only like flying certain planes for first class. The A319 and A320's not my favorite for first class, rather do a Boeing jet.

20. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on the airline for me.. if flying UA I prefer their First Class products on the B757 and B738. For AA, I prefer the MD80 since it's pretty quiet in the front.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.