1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Secret Garden & Dolphins..worth it?

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by pink_paradise, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pink_paradise

pink_paradise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So many questions - thanks to all of you for the answers!
    I see on the Mirage site that admission is about 20 bucks each to the secret garden and dolphin habitat. It is something we would like to see, but 20 bucks each seems a bit steep..Is it worth that price of admission? Is there a way to get discount tickets?

2. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dont think theres many discount for that, you can get in for free with a high level players club

For me 20 $ is well worth it, i love going to the zoo

3. pink_paradise

pink_paradise Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so it's more than just walk in, walk out? How long would you say you could reasonably spend there? Is it indoors or outdoors?

4. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can earn free passes on the MyVegas facebook game. I think it is one of the cheapest things they offer. I got the free passes in October. Not sure I would have paid $20, but for free it was a nice outside diversion for a few hours.

It is all outside. They have a small dolphin exhibit. You want watch then train and so some tricks. The tigers and lions are beyond that. They are closer than in most zoos, so you can really get up close. Of course they are famous for the white tigers. I was concerned since their cages are so small. I learned from one of the guides that there are acres of land behind there where the animals actually live. They rotate them out for a just about 2-3 each day so there are always animals there when they are open but none of them is there all day. There is also a small snack stand there. We got a a hot dog and watched the dolphins. I thought it was really cool to be outside then and then in at a machine within 10 minutes. Much better than shopping or fighting for a pool chair for a little time away from the floor.

5. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the 4 free tickets with my platinum card if I stop by the mirage and just give them to whoever is next in line. I have never actually been inside but makes me feel good to save someone some money.

6. ihatesnow

ihatesnow Tourist

It depends how interested you are in dolphins, as the cats will most likely be inactive. Is it overpriced? Yes. Is it still a nice change of pace and something every age can enjoy? Yes. I would say half an hour to an hour if you happen to catch a brief show with the dolphin trainers. You can also buy a drink and lounge a bit if you like.

7. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's one of the saddest places on the Strip. The dolphins are OK, although it is just kind of sad. The big cats are just a sad thing. They look like a weary circus act.

8. danjr

danjr Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if I would pay $20, but we used the Myvegas coupons and got in for free. It is pretty cool to see the dolphins up close doing tricks and like others have said you get pretty close to the big cats. I am glad we did it, but would probably only go back if it was free again.

9. jon95616

jon95616 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing to make clear is that the dolphin exhibit part of it isn't like going to an aquarium where the dolphins swim around, jump in the water and do tricks. When you go in there they make you wait until there is so many people gathered up in to a group and then the staff will have a talk with everybody to explain what they are doing there and that the dolphins aren't there to entertain you.

After the little speech is over they let everybody in where you can go up to the pool and watch the dolphins swim around and there is an underground observing area you can use as well. There is a gift shop and a little snack stand there as well.

When you are done watching the dolphins you go down a little path the Secret Garden, which is a path winding between a bunch of big habitat style caged areas where the cats live. Since they are cats, just bigger ones, they will most likely be sleeping so don't expect too much there - its still impressive to see them and how big they are, but like the dolphin habitat they aren't there to entertain you so they just sleep all day.

11. thezue

thezue Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was neat. I got the free tickets through MyVegas so it was definitely worth the redemption. I'd probably pay for it. We spent around 45 minutes in there, decided that we want to do the trainer for a day next time we come.

One thing to note, if you are planning on staying at the mirage and want to bring home a Tiger Stuffie for the kids, the store in the secret garden was the only place I saw them. We probably would have paid for that alone since I promised my son one before we left.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.