1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Where to see SNOW!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by tamo245, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamo245

tamo245 Tourist

My friend is coming in from Costa Rica in 2 weeks for a 2 week vacation. He is flying into Miami, then we are flying to Vegas for 5 days then he is returning back home and while here he wants to see snow! I know it won't happen in Miami but thought that we could do a (long) day trip somewhere from Las Vegas... but where?

2. Blatz

Blatz Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to try las vegas ski resort. It's probably the closest place to see snow, and since they make it there, you'll have better chances. I believe it's less than 75 miles from Las Vegas.

3. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mt Charleston. But be careful, I think you need chains on your tires there. Not sure though

4. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. tamo245

tamo245 Tourist

Thanks!!!

6. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Learn something new everyday! If someone would have asked me if you could ski close to Vegas I would have thought they were crazy.

7. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been up to Mt. Charleston several times and it is an easy 40 minute drive from the Strip. VERY IMPORTANT : due to the higher elevation, Mt. Charleston is about 30 degrees cooler than the Valley. In the summer it is very comfortable- in the 70's while the Strip is broiling in triple digit temps. Right now Vegas is in a cold snap and I read that temperatures will be between 3 degrees and 20 degrees with a wind chill of 16 below zero:

http://www.lvrj.com/news/hard-freeze-warning-in-effect-for-las-vegas-until-monday-186568921.html

Even when the temperature returns to normal, you will need to dress in warm winter clothing if you plan on doing any exploring. There are a couple of restaurants and a ski lodge but I don't think the hiking trails would be a good idea in the snow. Other than that, there wont be much to do on Mt Charleston but the scenery is beyond breathtaking and definitely worth the trip.

Oh, and definitely bring a camera - you will want to take plenty of photos!

8. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time I was in Vegas I found snow right in front of Ballys.

9. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I visited Mt. Charleston once in the summer, which was quite refreshing compared to the strip. I also visited it once in winter and it was beautiful! I didn't try to ski, not that I'm very good, but I did look at the resort and it was great.

10. ritilinkid

ritilinkid Believe it or not I'm walking on air.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snow!!??

Bring him here to Maine, he can shovel my driveway from the 3 feet we have already had this year. When he's done I'll give him a beer and match play coupon!

We're Goin' Dammit
  11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great thread!!!!!

What is the chances of seeing snow in the mountains at the end of March?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.