1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Please Assess My $5 Slot Play To Comps @ MGM Grand

Discussion in 'Comps' started by FJD, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJD

FJD Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a $5 slot player and on a recent trip to the MGM Grand, I earned about 260,000 Tier over a 3-day stay. My play was rated at the end of my trip and I was given $400 in Freeplay before I left (basically just paid for my flight).

Here's what I'm being offered now to return:

Tower one-bedroom suite (corner), $700 Freeplay, $250 F&B, 2 "Beatles" tickets, and limo--no advance air comp. (This is a general offer good at any LV property, except suites become rooms at Bellagio & Aria.)

I asked my host if I'd qualify for a Sky Loft this time and she said I'd have to be doing about twice as much Tier to qualify--not sure if this is true or just the old carrot and stick routine to get me to double my play.

Anyway, wondered what you all though about this comp level in general, the Sky Loft question, and if there's any other LV MGM property you'd recommend trying instead with my level of play? (Guess Bellagio & Aria are out because of the room downgrade--so that leaves Mandalay Bay, Mirage, Monte Carlo, NYNY, Luxor, and Excalibur.)

Thank you!

2. harrisab

harrisab Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dont Know if this helps
    Our play is less we play slots but not $5 ones, we go once a year for about 2 weeks and get to Platinum so just over 200,000 tier credits, so we probably get 20,000 tier credits a day compared to your 80,000. And you dont seem to be getting much more than us. This time we have booked 5 nights at hotel 32 with $500 Free play $100 F&B nt, 2 show tickets to any MGM resort show and MGM for 2 nts in exec King Suit $100 f&B nt, also doing 5 nights in Caesars.

Last year we had better offers we ended up staying in 6 hotels over 2 and half weeks,
    we got
    2nts Hotel 32 studio £100 F&B nt, 2 show tickets, $600 FP,
    2 nts Four Seasons sunrise/sunset suite, with $600 FP and $100 F&B.
    MGM 4nts exec king $150 F&Bnt, 2 show tickets,
    Mandalay bay suite 3nts $100 nt f&B, $600 FP.
    Also stayed at Planet Hollywood and Caesars - we wouldnt move about as much again but worth it for the offers

I'd say try Monte Carlo or Mandalay Bay and see what they can offer we always get more from them than MGM

3. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go twice a year - I would say I average around 35,000-40,000 tier credits a day (and this was prior to them changing the program on 10/1 which now makes it more difficult to earn points). My trips are usually 3-5 days - so I've earned anywhere from 100,000 to 227,000 on my 3-5 day trips. I play strictly slots - usually in the $3-$4 a spin range.

I stayed at Bellagio last September with 2 days at the Excalibur before that - earned a total of 180,000 tier credits - but that was over the entire 5 days. Here is my recent Bellagio offer:

$500 in FREEPLAY®
    $200 in Birthday FREEPLAY®
    3 Complimentary Nights in a Luxurious Suite
    Complimentary Food & Beverage
    Limo Transportation to & from the Airport
    VIP Check In

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say that is a fair offer. It could be a bit higher next time and bit less another. I do not think it matters much that you are playing $5 slot - but instead matters your total coin through, penny, quarter, dollar, whatever.

Funny you mention MGM. I have play in that range and been offered suites at Aria and Bellagio, MB and Mirage. I tend to still get mailers from Aria, Bellagio, MB. When they started doing citywide offers online, MGM finally showed up, but not before. And never got a specific mailer from MGM.

Sometimes Bellagio and Aria are a downgrade, sometimes not.

5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too am a $5 slot player.

I put $5 in the machine, if it gets down to $3 i cash out, if it gets up to $6 i cash out as well.

Still no comps coming my way for some reason.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, I am guessing you have raised your Express Comp balance up to $.09 this past year.

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as amatter of fact i did and i was pretty stoked to see I actually could get .48 in comps and the Plaza.

Figured i didnt want to spend it all in one shot.

8. FJD

FJD Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the great input thus far from everyone.

Anyone know anything regarding the Sky Loft "requirement" I mentioned in the original post?

Thanks again.

9. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say it is a fair offer. Go more regularly and the comps may improve as your average builds. Remember it is your theoretical loss that matters more than anything else. I don't have any experience with the theo loss rate of slot machines at MGM, but I'd be surprised if they were less than 5%. If your total coin-in is roughly $40k (not sure if those were standard slots or speciality slots, so I'm assuming you earn 6 TC's per $1 wagered), you have roughly $2000 in theo loss. You can expect about 30% of that to be your amount of comp ($600). I'd say a basic suite and food credit is pretty strong for those numbers, you also probably can't expect your host to pickup charges beyond the marketing offer. Your host is probably correct that you'd need to at least double your play to reach SkyLofts.

10. FJD

FJD Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Standard two coin three reels.

RE the 260,000 Tier I accumulated: how much "coin in" does that equate to on the MGM system?

Thanks again.

11. StephGrahamKC

StephGrahamKC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about Hotel 32 @ Monte Carlo? I have heard really good things about it!!!!

12. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would be $26,000 coin-in. On a standard slot, it's 10 tier points for every $1 wagered. This drops your theo, but again I'm no expert in slots (just video poker) so let's use a wide margin of error on the theo loss rate for $5 slots. 4% to 8%. Your theoretical loss would be between $1040 and $2080.

13. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I don't believe that is correct. If we are just looking at regular machines (no VP or specialty), you get 10 tier credits for every $3 wagered, so the coin in is actually around $78,000.

$78,000/3 would get you 26,000 points - 260,000 tier credits.

But there is "accelerated" earning by tier - so you would need to factor that in as well.

14. FJD

FJD Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought that accelerated earning by tier (30% for Platinum, 40% for Noir, etc.) applied to Express Comps only (possibly Point Play too, not sure)--but not to Tier points, that Tier is strictly based on coin in?

15. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct :)

16. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're probably right JosiCat, I'm not a slot player and mlife has done a good job of not posting the tier accrual info in an easy to find spot. So triple my projections, which means $3000-$6000 theo and roughly $1000-$2000 comp value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.