1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Deliberately choosing a dump hotel

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by sammasseur, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A recent thread on Quad/Imperial Palace and the awful condition of a room actually encouraged me to book a room there after spending the initial night downtown. I got a crazy rate for a fraction of other places when needing to go for an unexpected event at Caesars Palace next week. Despite having stayed there before and knowing the construction chaos, I'm actually looking forward to "roughing it". Not even sure why, but is this any different from going camping and sleeping in dirt with bugs?

I just have to wonder if anyone else has ever felt this way. I'll also note that I'm traveling solo and have lots of free time before the event, so that may influence why I don't mind the potential headaches of staying there.

2. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe you want to "see for yourself" if it's really that bad...?

I've stayed there three times and the rooms were clean and comfortable.

3. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only difference I see is I doubt if you travel with this--
    [​IMG]

And if ya do well enjoy your stay:beer:

4. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Actually, I always travel with a small electronic insect repellent device and a spray bottle of Clorox surface disinfectant.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've just never felt the need to "prove" anything on a Vegas trip, whether it's food or activities or moving up/down in the hotel market. Curiosity is not the same thing as eating sea cucumber because someone said it's awesome and someone said it's horrid, and I'm up for a dare.

I've stayed at IP -- for example -- a number of times, when circumstances dictated, be that it was comped or a group decision or, as often happened, the result of a client. I didn't die. No limbs rotted away. It is what it is, a hole, a no-frill, low-everything hotel. It isn't some festering hovel in deepest darkest Africa. But in most circumstance, no, I'd not go there or suggest it. It's simply not what we want in a getaway experience. And IP isn't alone in that category.

"Clean" is subjective, however. Most of the stuff that should concern us isn't even visible. Sure, if there's a spent condom in the corner it might be a signal that other is not in order. Might. Then again, it could just be a spent condom that's easily remedied. And the "best" hotels do have problems with those nasty-unseens. But day in day out, we choose other. We don't want Kleenex-grade sheets and shitty little towels. Worn carpeting and linoleum. CRTs and small tub/showers with plastic curtains.

Camping is camping. It's fun. But when doing resort or hotel we have no interest in bunking down at Walmart.

6. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yea I used to until my gf said I think your cologne will do the Job:evillaugh:evillaugh

7. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's all fair, Ken, but it's worth noting, also, that I go to Vegas about once a month and wasn't planning to next week. This thing just popped up and the outrageous hotel price helped justify attending. The fact that it's across the street from my event is very novel to me, and since it's a late night event and I have an early morning departure, I can go straight to sleep without worrying about a cab, etc. It's all gonna be quite fun, without the guilt of an unnecessary splurge.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're talking logical expediency, Sam. Pretty much what I was saying.

9. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, what an interesting thread! Sam, I love your posts. My Eden and I, will be in Vegas next week. There is a thread about a meet, and you are high on my list! Along with dewey, Joe, and blueskadoo

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
  10. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gee, thanks Dave! :nworthy:

11. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perhaps that's it. I actually had a dream last night that I was already staying there and enjoying the absurdity of the hallway mazes, crowded elevators, and grandma's bedroom furniture. Time to up my medication..... :poke:

12. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been to vegas dozens of times and never once stayed in any of the fancy places.

I think the fanciest I went of the Orleans.

I did stay at the desert rose but that was an experiment to see if i saved any money making my own meals.

This past trip a few weeks ago it was bills and fremont.

13. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last february for our Super Bowl trip, my brother was comped sat-tue I think it was. I got in on friday, and he came in on sat. For the one night I was solo I stayed at Days Inn at Wild Wild West Gambling Hall. Place really wasn't that bad and I slept really well. Our comped room was at IP, I preferred Wild Wild West after staying at IP actually.

Fast forward a year later, watching Cops one saturday night and they were doing a prostitution sting- right outside the Wild Wild West. Place still wasn't that bad, plus I got free breakfast at Dennys.

14. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget about the jackhammers.

15. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have just booked a Saturday at IP for $6. We were originally going to be at Rio for $179, but the price difference pays for the rental car for a week or more. We have stayed at IP several times, and don't anticipate any problems next time either. $173 difference (profit?) is definitely worth checking out for one night.

The location can't be beat whatever.

16. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes that is very true...(Profit to be used on something else):beer:

17. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This made me laugh out loud. Thanks for sharing. Oh, and good luck.

18. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stayed at IP in early Nov. for $20 bucks a night for 5 nights solely to put points on my TR card because my card was empty as i haven't been to Vegas in 2 years. Now, when i go back in late April early May, i will have 5 nights comped at Bally's......HOWEVER, despite all the horror stories regarding IP, i enjoyed my time there. I was in room # 1047, which apparently all you haters never stayed in.

19. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, you get points on your TR just for booking a hotel with them? Or were you just planning on gambling where you stayed? I'm unclear, as I'm not savvy with the points system. I DID make the reservation using my TR account, so I'm assuming that was wise?

20. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should probably get your tetanus shot before you go

Solo
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.