1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Buying A Dishwasher.....Any Comments ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Anybody buy a dishwasher recently ?
    My wife has been searching the web +
    says "It appears to be very hit or miss w/ the quality."
    One person swears by the brand -- the next
    person says the got a "lemon".
    Any comments would be welcome.
    Oh -
    And I read somewhere about not getting rubber hoses
    cause they can leak......not sure what the other option is ?

2. bronx12

bronx12 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best advice I got was be willing to spend a bit extra, don't go cheapo.

We went with a Kenmore Elite for around 1200 bucks and it is the most quiet dishwasher we have ever owned. Friends and family all comment how quiet it is.

It is about 4 years old, and just started leaking a month ago, but the gasket got cut somehow, so a quick fix. Other than that we have been very happy.

Now would I recommend a Kenmore Elite Fridge or stove.....that is a different answer....probably not.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We chose by features - my husband required silence; I required a stainless interior. Ours is 10yrs old - we built our house in 2001-02. It's a Bosch and we love it, despite the problems we've had with it. We've had problems with all our appliances at some point - that's life - but thankfully my husband knows where to order replacement parts and how to fix things. Think we've had to replace the motherboard once and the soap dispenser mechanism twice, and we've retipped the prongs once already as well....

We're contemplating a kitchen "refresh" - less than a remodel, more than a paint job. We'll definitely do counters & backsplash, and probably appliances.....We would definitely consider a Bosch again, though my sister & BIL both work for GE and get great friends & family discounts, so we've been looking at their products as well..... My husband would love to have 4 or 5 Fisher & Paykel dishwasher drawers, but we don't have the space/proper configuration for that....

4. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just bought one in December. I ended up with a Miele. I was going to get a Kitchenaid which got great reviews...until recently. Apparently they got a bad batch of sensors from China and a ton of them had to replaced. Here were my reasons for choosing Miele:

- Still made with all German parts - No 3rd world parts.
    - I wanted something with a drying cycle. Very few have them anymore. I don't like drying dishes after the dishwasher. Read up on how it dries them...very cool.
    - I wanted something that could wash wine glasses. This brand is actually recommened by Riedel.
    - I have hard water and no whole house softener. These actually have salt dispensors in them. Makes a world of difference in getting dishes clean and saving on soap.
    - Has a delay setting. Another thing not found on most.
    - Best safety features on the planet, they will NOT leak.
    - Super quiet

I ended up with the 2nd from the bottom of the line and didn't spring for the cutlery tray. If I had the money I would have. Some of the top of their line will even pop the door open at then of the cycle.

5. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I too, have a Miele. I LOVE it!

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't say enough about Bosch (and not the lower-end shiat sold by Sears). We had our first with the kitchen re-do down south, and it was stellar. I'd turn it on and could stand right next to it talking on the phone to family in Australia, it was that quiet.

Bought this place earlier this year and the first thing that went was the POS five-year-old GE Profile dishwasher (the next POS thing to go is the Profile range top ... Profile is such overrated crap). We bought another Bosch, through Costco again.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have a recommendation for a dishwasher, we've had GE, Maytag, LG & several others and they all did the job.

But I do have a general recommendation for buying appliances.

If you have an American Express card USE IT to purchase the appliance or electronic items. They automatically extend whatever warranty you get by 2 more years.

We bought a big screen at Costco and it had a 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Costco extends that by another year, then AMEX adds two more, for a total of 4 years. 3 years and 11 months after purchase, the TV died. The screen starting getting black lines in it.

We had someone come out and declare the LCD non repairable. Paid him for the service call, sent all the paperwork into AMEX and they paid us the original cost of the TV, plus the service call.

Just remember to keep the original purchase receipt!:poke:

I used to only use the AMEX card at Costco, but now any appliance or electronic items we buy, go on the card.

8. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    According to Consumer reports who I use for whatever I buy--

CR BEST BUY--

Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR7[5]UC--$700 It had overall score of 81

Bosch was top 3 followed by Miele Futura Dimension G5575SCSF Plus at number 4 for around 1500.00 so if ur looking for a dishwasher buy the CR-best buy,,if ur looking for a spaceship by the latter

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 10 year old GE still does the job

Construction grade ,came with the house.I wouldnt put it in a million dollar home in a designer kitchen but it never cost me a penny in 10 years.
    I much prefer dealing with a good established local appliance dealer rather than a big box store. When I upgraded the range,they delivered it ,didnt scratch a thing and they service also.

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with jerseyguy that you should look and see if you can find an established local appliance dealer. We bought appliances from the box stores and from our local place. The small percentage of money I saved at the box store was not worth the PITA in installation and service.

11. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in the boonies and repair is impossible - so we do it ourselves, which voids warranties. PITA. So I just get whatever appliance I want anyway, no matter where I have to buy it (when we furnished the house, 80% of the appliances were floor models, scratch & dent or special order returns - so I could get higher end than my budget.....But it also meant I was shopping constantly, within a 150 mi radius of my house.....) And the Costco wasn't built yet, and the closest big box store was at least 40 miles away.....

12. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife would tell you to buy the same brand as your fridge - she hates mixed appliances.

In a former life I worked as a distributor for white goods and my recommendation on any of them is to not buy the cheapie. Each manufacturer has their "Cadillac" and you should go with it. The nicer version will be quieter and be made with better parts. My personal selection in those days was the Electrolux Icon series. You would see the lights flashing on the dishwasher but couldn't hear it running.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @H2: Kelly, does Costco's free delivery include folks like you who live out in BFE?

@Boone: I know people who buy that way. We' rather buy from who does what best and risk not making the cover of HGTV Magazine.

14. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we have to pay extra for Costco's free delivery, but we've never tried (from the store - we have had no problem with things we've ordered online) I know we're outside of Best Buy's "free delivery" area - found that out with a tv a few years ago. HoyaHubby has a full-size truck for work, though, so it's not an issue.

I buy appliances the way I buy everything else in my kitchen (and my wardrobe, and, well, in everything I guess) - by the features I want and plan to use, and by the best value for those features. That means I have a few very high quality pots & pans that I use every day instead of a mid-priced "set" of things I don't want or need. And it means, gasp, my appliances aren't all the same brand. Or even close :eek: They are the same color - bisque. I am a little scared because when we buy new ones, we'll probably go to stainless, and differences in finishes there would be far more noticeable. But since I'm not buying yet, I'm trying not to worry about it too much....

15. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always go first to an independent store before going to the monster stores.
    Usually it is a easier giong experience.
    They may not have what you want but I find they help you out more then a BB or Sears or BJ Wholesale
    And if you are not subscribed to Consumer Reports magazine subscribe to the on line version!

16. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mrs. Boone isn't trying to make the cover of a magazine - but we recently moved and if the appliances didn't match she instantly hated it. She would just say - if they were too cheap to match up something like that imagine what you can't see.

She is nuts though.

17. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I researched dishwashers when we bought our farm in 1989. CR ranked Maytag as the best which I bought from a local appliance store and I had my plumber install it as a surprise to my wife. It was quieter than most others at the time and has been serving us well since. wATCH for lookalikes at the box stores. They look identical to the box stores in appearence and features but parts differ . you can only tell my comparing model #'s. I love Maytag, have a used maytag dryer that I boucht used 26 years ago, and when our washer died I bought the maytag washer. I also bought a great propane kitchen stove....you guessed it, Maytag. All have served me well and parts were easy to fine. Again I agree with so many here, buy at a good appliance store even if it is a few bucks more.

Jimbo338

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @ Boone: lol! We have friends who outfitted the entire house and outdoor kitchen with Jenn-Air because they just had to have Jenn-Air, even though so much Jenn-Air stuff gets ripped by reviewers and users.

@ Jim: Sadly, Maytag long ago ran its course and it's largely just another cheap brand. We've had several Maytag products the past decade or so, and each just absolutely sucked. It ain't what our parents were buying.

19. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't Electrolux own Maytag, Frigidaire and a ton of other brands?

I own a Jenn-Air down draft stove and it sucks. It cost a bundle too but it was the only one with a downdraft vent.

20. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or go to your local public library and use their issues for free:thumbsup: (well, using the library is a service I pay for in other ways, but still....)

And now you know the flip side to that issue - people who do it on purpose with specific reasons in mind. But at the same time - I built my house for ME and my needs (and those of my husband) not for resale. So I suppose I don't really care what people think:evillaugh [it took us a year to design our house - we literally did it all ourselves, including the blueprints - I had a spreadsheet listing EVERYTHING I use in the kitchen and where it would be stored and where it would be used, etc. Totally OCD but the layout & cabinetry are still ideas for me and my needs....]
    True! We replaced a 25yr old maytag washer (my in-laws- we lived in their lake house while we were building) with a new Maytag (front loader) and it was awful. We ate the money and replaced it within 2 yrs. Our Maytag stove has had a bunch of problems -we had to rewire it among other things - but we still use it.....Bought it from a small local appliance store and had the most miserable experience of my housebuilding shopping period there. What a$$holes they were. Yeah, I still bought the stove, but only because of the price (special order return - no one else was going to match the price and I got a convection oven for less than the cheapo version new, so I guess it's my own fault I put up with their crap....)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.