1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Unexpected surprise trip LV trip during Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Buddha, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well ... this upcoming trip was not even on our radar, as we already have an April trip on the drawing board. However, when the mail came a week ago, my wife, Nancy, received a 2-month mailer offer from the SunCoast, completely unexpected, for January & February. For Jan. 1-31, she was offered two free nights, plus two $25 dining coupons, plus two $25 free-play coupons. And, for Feb. 1-28, the mailer offered the same exact repeat of the January offer & coupons.

Nancy was surprised & excited about the possibility of 4 free nights, $100 of dining, and $100 of free-play ... and said, "Maybe we could book two nights on Jan. 30 & 31, and two nights Feb. 1 & 2, and get everything !!". It seemed improbable to me that they would let her book those nights back-to-back, checking out on Feb. 1st, and then checking right back in on the same day .... but I knew she was anxious to look into it, and January is her birthday month. Well, I also had a mailer offer from Main Street Station for February .... so I then proceeded to check out the airfare possibilities for a special birthday trip for my gal (46 years together).

Much to my surprise, the January & February airfare prices at SWA were on a Saturday sale, as low as $118 each way. So then, I logged into the SunCoast page, and booked Nancy's offer for Jan. 30 & 31 (free comp), and printed that. I then logged into her February page for the SunCoast, and booked Feb. 3 & 4 (free comp, including Super Bowl Sunday), without any difficulty at all, and printed that. In between, I logged into my Main Street Station page, and booked my free comp offer for Feb. 1 & 2, plus $35 in free-play. Once those were all booked, I went to the SWA page and booked our flights on Jan. 30 to Vegas, and Feb. 5 back home ... for $118 x 4, for $472 total !!! It was a flurry of activity !!! :thumbsup:

I then started checking out the rental cars ... first booking a "city special" at Dollar for $178 all-in total. However, yesterday I noticed that Alamo was running a new price drop, and that came up with a base price of $99, minus discount offers, plus 1200 SWA - RR points ... for an all-in total of $141, and I booked that, and cancelled the Dollar reservation !!

Now, we only need to hope for peaceful Chicago weather, to get out of town .... :peace:

2. k9dr

k9dr Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent job at maximizing value - have a great time !!

3. JDinTN

JDinTN MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations Buddha-- I'm hoping I can get away from work during that time to make it out for the Superbowl as well.

Quick question- Did you try to book your wife's Suncoast offers back-to-back and then book your MSS offer after it? At least you wouldn't have to move back and forth every two days. I'm assuming you checked or have a good reason of course -- just that you didn't mention any reason for splitting it up.

Thanks and have a blast!

4. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unexpected surprise LV trip during Super Bowl

We talked about it, but did not try it. We have the rental car for the quick moves, and just thought it would be easier to stay under the radar of detection. Plus ... Super Bowl Sunday will probably be crazy & wild downtown at MSS, and more reserved out at the SunCoast.

5. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Looks like we'll be in LV at the same time. We'll be there from 1/30-2/6 and it's been a long time since we've seen you two. Let's try to get together.

Nancy and Jeff
    BTW. How did you get that rental price from Alamo? I just checked and the base price is $202.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  6. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Just lucky, I guess. They had been very high every time I checked, but then last Saturday afternoon, I checked again, and the base price has dropped drastically, down to $99 for a compact, and the mid-size base was only $103. I then used a Contract ID code from SWA, and a $30 coupon code, and with taxes & fees (unavoidable), it all totaled $141.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.