1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Classic Cocktails (eg where to get a good Manhattan?)

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by HoyaHeel, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Starting to plan our Feb 2013 trip to Vegas. Contemplating going for cocktails. I've seen some recommendations in various threads but would love to consolidate in one thread. Not a nightclub. Pre-dinner (probably) cocktails. My husband loves a great Manhattan. No martinis - neither of us drink gin or vodka:peace:

Recommendations I'm remembering right now are Cosmo and Mandarin Oriental but I know there are many more. We'll be staying at TI, in town for a trade show at Sands, so mid to mid-north area would be my preference.

"Romance" not required, view would be nice but also not required. Thanks!!!

2. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was watching north by northwest with Cary Grant. he is on the train and the man asks what he want and he orders a gibson.

Never heard of it so when I was at binions of all places i ordered one and the guy knew right away what it was but said no one had ordered one in about 10 years.

3. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had truly wonderful Manhattans at Sinatra in Wynn. For something a little different, try a Pear-asol at Parasol Up, same hotel.

4. nubia11

nubia11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not exactly north but, we frequent the happy hour at Comme Ca (Cosmopolitan) on a pretty regular basis. They specialize in prohibition style cocktails and everything that I've tried has been quite tasty.

I also love Parasol Down at Wynn. The cocktails are delicious and it's very relaxing to sit out on the terrace and enjoy the Lake of Dreams.

Keeping with the Manhattan them, you may consider checking out The Bourbon Room at Venetian. I haven't been yet but, I'd like to think they can mix a decent bourbon cocktail since that's their thing. Course I don't think Margaritaville makes great margaritas so, I guess that line of thinking doesn't always work out.

http://www.venetian.com/uploadedFiles/Common/Nightlife/Lounges/BourbonRoom_menu.pdf#zoom=100

Happy planning!

5. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did wonder about Parasol at Wynn but never thought of Sinatra. I'll remember Comme Ca if we head South during the trip. Thanks for the ideas!

The Bourbon Room is supposed to be an homage to the bar in Rock of Ages. Doesn't scream "enjoy a leisurely cocktail" to me, more like "let's get wasted and laid".... but.....It's new so I don't know exactly what it is anyway.

My current favorite is a Ward Eight - I mentioned it in a whiskey thread recently. Think I might have to make one tonight.....Will only help my Christmas wrapping, right?

6. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The wife and I have set ourselves a goal of drinking every cocktail on the Parasol Up menu. I know, but somebody has to do it. So far we have worked through every "Specialty" cocktail and none have been less than "stellar."

I've copied down the recipe for a Ward 8. That just may be the thing tomorrow night after the theater (don't worry - it's The Troubies doing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed ReinDoors." I love their Christmas shows!)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Consider the bar at Picasso, inside Bellagio. It's not the most innovative place, but if you're looking for the classics, every cocktail I've had there has been absolutely top-notch. And I can't think of a better view than original Picassos and the Bellagio fountains.

8. elvis66

elvis66 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our faves are
    Parasol up or down at Wynn
    Eastside at Encore
    Mandarin Bar at Mandarin Oriental
    Hyde at Bellagio
    Vesper at Cosmopolitan
    Rouge at MGM Grand
    Mix at Mandalay Bay

Mob Bar
    Downtown Cocktail Room

9. kiwiboy1

kiwiboy1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dude I love that! Just Googled it and am going to order the next chance I get. Thanks for the throw back.

10. kiwiboy1

kiwiboy1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if this counts but Hugo's in the 4Q has a small bar that is sort of cool. They do the best Manhattan's. Each drink comes in a small bucket of ice with a smaller pitcher sitting inside it. With ice it's EASY two drinks plus they are incredibly smooth (I find Manhattan's too alcoholically sometimes).

One of my favorites in an unusual place.

11. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sage and American Fish in Aria serves craft cocktails.

12. elvis66

elvis66 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. Sam D

Sam D Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Barrymore might be what you're looking for. The bar has classic retro styling and they serve vintage cocktails along with contemporary drinks. It's located in the Royal Resort at 99 Convention Center Drive.

14. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

If you head downtown at all, check out the Commonwealth. Swank place specializing in cocktails.

15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't drink Manhattan's any more........but I don't drink them any less either! :evillaugh

It's always a matter of one's personal taste, but a Manhattan should be made with a good Rye Whiskey, the spice of the rye contrasts with the sweet vermouth. Orange bitters are a plus. Fortunately, rye is making a bit of a comeback, but many bartenders will just pour a blended Canadian whisky like VO.

16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a fan of vermouth so I don't typically drink a Manhattan but my husband has tried a few variations - we do have rye and orange bitters at home:thumbsup:

17. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rye Manhattan's are glorious.

My big pet peeve with Manhattan's is when a bartender shakes instead of sirs the drink. Shaking it creates ton of sweet air bubbles that sit on top of the drink that significantly changes the taste. It's ruinous.

18. milehiman

milehiman VIP Whale

I absolutely agree with you PopMegaphone! I insist my Manhattan's (and Vodka Martinis) are stirred and not shaken.

19. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my opinion knowing when to shake or stir a drink is usually good indicator of the quality of the bartender. It means they understand its importance to the composition of the drink and demonstrates their attention to detail.

20. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a few posters have mentioned rye whiskey is key in a Manhattan. My suggestion would the bar at Sage in Aria. They're twist on a Manhattan is called an Empire State and contains the following:

Hudson Rye whiskey
    Root liqueur
    Punt a mes sweet vermouth
    Bitters

I too am a big fan of the drink and have found that the sweetness comes more from the bourbon that is sometimes used in the cocktail. Makers, knob creek and JB are all too sweet when mixed with the vermouth.

Rye whiskey seems to balance this out really well resulting in a well rounded drink.

Anyway, its all in the pallet of the drinker. Just my 2 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.