1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dirty Dining: America Restaurant @ NYNY

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by westie, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Alwayspackedforadventure

Alwayspackedforadventure Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh wow. My mom used to love that place. She was a huge gambler and loved staying at NY-NY..the only thing that would pull her away from the video poker machine was a quick (very quick) bite to eat at America or Nathan's Hot Dogs. I seriously got so tired of eating at America when I would go on trips with her.

3. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For almost being shut down, it really doesn't sound that bad. How does this work, exactly? Block of cheese past expiry = 1 demerit, Multi-generational cockroach infestation = 1 demerit?

4. Sam D

Sam D Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's an interesting question. I would assume that a heavier penalty would apply to more serious violations such as vermin infestation compared to something like improper storage of food containers.

I looked for more info on the website of the Southern Nevada Health District but I couldn't see any explanation for the number of demerits that are assessed for different types of violations.

5. westie

westie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the Southern Nevada Health District website:

"Risk factors that have the potential to contribute to foodborne illness are more heavily weighted in the inspection demerit process than items related to design, maintenance or general sanitation."

The forum used by the inspectors breaks down the violations into 4 categories:

Imminent Health Hazards (these are the ones that would result in immediate closure)

Critical violations that would be assessed 5 demerits for each violation

Major violations that would be assessed 3 demerits for each violation

Minor violations that would be assessed 1 demerit for each violation

You can see what violations fall into each category by reviewing the form the inspectors use:

http://www.southernnevadahealthdistrict.org/download/eh/fe-inspection-report.pdf

6. Sam D

Sam D Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, westie.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.