1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wanted: Christmas Spirit

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a nasty case of the Christmas Blahs this year. Yesterday I blamed the malls.

I was full of Christmas fail for the last two days of shopping. I think that I have to be done. Gift Cards for the rest! That mall crawl is soul crushing. I literally had to lay down when I got home last night.

I tried putting on some Christmas music, but that didn't help. Even though we have a pretty awesome playlist (Can you believe we have Joe Pesci singing carols?!), it didn't raise my spirits. All I feel is stress.

What do you do when you have the holiday blues?

2. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The solution to christmas spirit is christmas spirits.

Go do the 12 bars of christmas and there'll be no more humbugs for you.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years ago, we gave up gifts for most people other than homemade stuff. Makes life a lot easier. I don't deal with malls well under ideal conditions, and definitely avoid them in December.

Christmas movies and Christmas music make me happy. Seeing the candles in my windows and my christmas tree lights when I drive home makes me happy. Sugar plus spice tea by Celestial Seasonings makes me VERY happy (I literally bought the store out of it on Tuesday, because it's sold so rarely and in so few places)

If that fails, head down into the eggnog:thumbsup:

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We head to Vegas!:poke:

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You just gotta believe in Santa Claus, that's all! And it's easy. How else can you explain an 8-5 Wisconsin team making it to the Rose Bowl?! :wink2:

Can't really relate to the feeling. Sounds sucky. Have you watched Sandler doing the Hanukkah Song? I know that makes me smile. Or just call Linus, have him explain what Christmas is all about. That ALWAYS does it!!

6. shawn s

shawn s Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lost the Christmas spirit last year. Losing my dad and a dear friend had me really down. I'm not sure it has come back. Preparing treat bags and gift baskets for my co workers has helped because I put great care and thought into it.
    I can't go to malls because it is overwhelming. Around the holidays, malls just seem to embodie the opposite of good holiday cheer.
    Try to remember your loved ones and things that make you happy. Giving gifts should be given with a joyful heart , not out of obligation.
    I hope you find your spirit and have a Merry Christmas, Sonya!

7. Wyo351

Wyo351 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and hot buttered rum...

:thumbsup:

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do get the gift lament. And to take something else from that best of Christmas shows, it is really a big commercial racket. Black Friday, buying stuff because, well, we're supposed to just buy stuff. Yuck. I'm not some Amish purist here, and I'm not really that religious, but when I look around so much "giving" is just done mindlessly, as a Pavlovian reflex; the more coin dropped of course the "better" the gift, the more commercials some toy or product has, the "better" the gift becomes. It's crap.

The holiday season, and I'm not saying that because of bullshit PC, it's because the season starts with Thanksgiving and ends with the new year, anyway, the holiday season is about friends and family, not stuff for stuff's sake.

Sonya, maybe if you push aside the trappings of Christmas, the garbage that is foisted on us by the marketing weenies, and just take in the sights and sounds and smells, maybe that will bring it back to you.

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is your house decorated?

Did you bake cookies?

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ooh! I think we have a winner!

We draw names in Dan's family. I know the pressure all comes from my side. The youngest kid just turned 19 so I'm kind of hoping we can stop soon.

I tried! We planned to do a quick trip just before the holiday weekend. I suggested Vegas, but we're going to Eastern Oregon instead. Maybe that's why I'm grumpy.

Thank you, shawn. I remember it was years before I could get into the holiday crazies after my fiance died. I had friends bring me a tree and decorate it to try to help the first year. Hope you find some wonderful times this year!

More drinking? I'm seeing a trend here.

This is the plan! We're taking a 3 night trip to Eastern Oregon to just hang out and look at snow. There might have to be some visits to Bend for breweries and distilleries too. I'm sure being in the mountains will help.

Cookies! That's it! I need to whip up a batch of my ginger-papillons (gingerbread but with papillon cookie cutters) and things will feel better. Life is always better with gingerbread.

Now that I have the majority of the packages wrapped, I am feeling better. It's all that shopping and shipping that drive me crazy every year. It really brings out the Bah Humbug in me.

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My relatives all decided not to trade gifts for xmas anymore. Many of my aunts and uncles are now in their 80's now and we all agreed (over 10 years ago) that a xmas card would be all right over gifts.

I am in my 50's now and a few years ago I also told my sister and brother and friends that we wouldn't trade gifts anymore. I still give my nephews (now in their 20's) bd money or gift cards but I guess it's hard to get into the xmas spirit with all this commercialization so I just skip the malls for the month of december. we do get together for xmas dinner so that's usually enough to enjoy the holidays with our relatives (uncles and aunts too old to get together lately).

My relatives who have young kids trade gifts with each other but I usually skip the trading thing. but that's just me, wasn't worth it as a number of times the gifts would be returned or never used (or regifted).

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the best thing you can do is reclaim Xmas as your holiday. You're a loved one too. Do what makes you smile. If that means scaling back on things for other people, then scale back.

I don't do "gifts" anymore because everybody has a problem with clutter and people buy what they want/need as they need it. Sometimes something comes up and somebody needs something through the year and I'm grateful to be able to provide it, even if it's just a favour. I do gift cards where I know people shop so they can pick something out for themselves. Maybe it's not personal but won't end up in a yard sale in the summer. I used to go crazy with baking, everybody I know is fighting with their weight. I know I am. I don't want to add to that. Besides everybody is on some kind of diet these days, like me with the gluten free. No more baking. I enjoy a nice tree, which I can't do this year because of Jack the kitten. I enjoy a nice Xmas meal. This year I'm grateful I was able to host my husband's family for Xmas dinner which we did last weekend. It wasn't as fancy meal but we had a nice time.

Reclaim Xmas for yourself Sonya. You deserve it!

13. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We dont go crazy either

We get together with family and friends ,give our kids gifts and each other something nice also. We always at least buy a toy or two for the toy drive ,at least its something to help the less fortunate.

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Lola. I think I'm going to send an email to my sister and my parents after the holidays and propose a change. Especially now that my parents are at the age that they're always trying to get me to take stuff OUT of their house, I feel weird sending more crap. :)

My sister makes wonderful food things like jellies and salsas that I'd love to get a box of every year. Maybe she and I can make an agreement if Mom & I can't.

15. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 :thumbsup:

16. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    BTW, I also think booze would help.

17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booze almost always helps. Now where did I put that giant jug of Captain Morgan?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.