1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another yard project

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some of you long-timers might recall kitchen, yard and other projects at our last place. Yep, get a joint just like you want it ... and move.

So now we're back doing another yard project. Here are a few starter pics:

It all starts and stops with the view, which means nada is going in along the back fence line.
    [​IMG]

Unlike down south, where we were on a long, narrow half-acre lot, we have minimal depth here. The area being excavated will be a 900 s.f. patio of pavers. We'll have a rectangular cast-in-place concrete fire pit in the middle. Still debating on the built-in grill.
    [​IMG]

These olives went in yesterday.
    [​IMG]

And a shot just for Joe, of his fave golfer.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm, seems to be working now.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  3. richardinbc

richardinbc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    looks good

Nice view Ken, Here in the great northwest a view like would not last. Before long lots of green things with leaves would grow up and block your view.

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Richard, takes me back to when we moved from LA to the Portland burbs when I was a kid. We had this big-ass arroyo behind the house, and what looked to me like a solid wall of redwoods leaping out of it.

Pavers should up today. Here's about half of the 4500:

[​IMG]

5. VegasGarden

VegasGarden Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken that is beautiful. What general area/region is it? Thanks

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    West-central Santa Barbara County. Lompoc/Vandenberg. That's farmland/flower fields below in the Santa Ynez River Valley, and the hills beyond are the start of the Sta Rita Hills AVA (an awesome Pinot/Chardonnay wine area).

7. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very nice Ken

Thats a million dollar view for sure. I put in a built in grill myself many moons ago back when I didnt mind digging trenches,running gas lines ,pouring cement etc.
    The good thing about it was I never ran out of gas,the bad thing was it was a lot of work to remove when it finally got too old.I would have a gas or propane line run out to where the grill goes and hook one up to it and just chuck it and replace when the time comes. You may have to modify it slightly if you use nat. gas.

8. richardinbc

richardinbc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not to far from Guadalupe

Ken you seem to like food. It was about 30yrs ago but the best steak I've ever had was in Guadalupe, at a family run restaurant that raised their own beef.

The restaurant it's self was and old hall type building at the north end of what was then a small town. The walls and double entry doors where all lined with cow hides.

It was a long time ago but I still remember that melt in your mouth steak.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Far Western Tavern. Great spot. They just moved down to Orcutt. Jocko's in Nipomo and Hitching Post (I, II, locals argue about which is better) might even have 'em beat. Weekend brunch at Far Western is out there outstanding.

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jocko's wins. :) I was headed to the Far Western Tavern a couple trips ago and they were in the process of moving, so I have to be sure to get there next time.

My mom and dad's view is alright, but it's blocked by this silly golf course. :wink2:

Attached Files:

11. richardinbc

richardinbc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the name Ken

Thanks for the name of the place Ken, that was it. Love the beaches south of you. Camped at Refugio Beach with kids around 1977 0r 78, might have been when we went to Far Western Tavern.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, those south-facing beaches are great. Ours up here are more turbulent with more wind, but they stretch on seemingly forever. Great whites really seem to like our local beach, unfortunately. Funny you mention this stuff. We've cancelled our weekend trip and are gonna get some days at home before the holiday. We're hoping to hit the tides right so we can do the walk from Jalama down to Point Conception.

13. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was stationed in Oxnard part of 63 and 64

Real culture shock ,people VERY laid back and non confrontational in those days anyway. Remember building a fire on the beach Xmas eve 63 ,something out of a Frankie Avalon,Annette Funicello movie.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A little progress. For scope, the patio is 17' deep. It will be 54' wide.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.