1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Walking from Fremont St. to Neon Boneyard

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by johnvic, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it sketchy? I also may want to visit the Old Mormon Fort too. The walk looks easy and is only a mile, just don't know the area in terms of safety.

2. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only part that would concern me would be going under the interstate.

Take a look on google street view.

What I did was grab a bus from outside Walgreen's to there. Took forever for the bus to come back though.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not the "Better Homes and Gardens" section of Las Vegas that's for sure! I say it depends on your tolerance of "urban life", if you're squeamish every time someone asks you for $$, then you won't like it. But if you do it in the daylight hours and walk with purpose, you'd be fine. Lotta sketchy types just on the other side of the freeway comin' from downtown, they're homeless, beggars for the most part, not Crip members.

4. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beggers are not a problem for me, I live in NYC. More concerned about getting robbed since I don't know the area.

Thanks!

5. xman30

xman30 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about walking from Fremont to The Mob Museum?

xman30

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Mob Museum is a cake walk from Fremont. Once you get past going under the interstate and the 7-11 @ Bonanza you're pretty much home-free to The Neon Museum, but then you gotta come back too. It sure isn't an expensive "proposition" to take a cab there and back and remove any and all concern however, no getting "tunneled" on this route.

7. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love walking when I can, just my nature.

8. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We walked from El Cortez to the Neon Boneyard in April. We didn't encounter anything of note. Didn't feel unsafe at all.

9. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    jonvic:
    I visited the Old Morman settlement which is a state park now. It wasn't too far but I caught a bus (108?) and got off just about in front of the place. I was there for a couple of hours. It struck me as funny that 32 million people visit LV annually and I was there alone the whole time! I enjoy that kind of thing so it was cool. The Natural History and the Children's museum are just up the street as well, if you have an interest.

Jimbo338

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pebbles, which route (and streets) did you take to get to the neon boneyard? I think there is a lot of hesitation when you travel on main street towards that area. Lots of homeless and questionable looking characters all hang out against the fences along main street, many sleep in that area.

I guess it is up to a person's comfort level, some people are afraid to walk in an area with lots of homeless, some for fear of getting mugged or people that may have mental conditions (possibility of getting attacked or harrassed), other people are unafraid and will travel in those areas.

I usually rent a car so I drive past that area, not sure how comfortable I would feel to walk the area (I'm a guy). Maybe during the daytime but certainly not at night for sure.

11. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We walked up Ogden and then North on LVB. This was at around 10 am on a Tuesday morning. There were a couple of people sleeping under the bridge, and someone else walked past us heading South. No one approached us to ask for anything, and I was actually surprised at how few people we saw. I'm female and my companion is male.

I wouldn't dream of walking around there at night, but in the daytime it was pretty quiet.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info pebs. good to know, I guess it is best to avoid main street

13. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the warmer months its way too hot to walk. In fact I drove out to the Neon Boneyard, and they gave us free bottles of water because they were worried people would pass out during the tour.

14. |Whitecapsfan

|Whitecapsfan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I walked from downtown to the Neon Museum earlier this week. I went straight down LVB. It seemed to me just to be a poorer part of town. All the people we ran into were very polite.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.