1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A few quick buses question?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by vegasqc, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know we have some bus expert on here so here are my 2 kinda dumb question

1) If i buy pass on the strip( deuce -sdx) can i also use it on other buses like to go to the pinball hall of fame or do i need another cheaper pass ?

2) If i buy a 3 day pass lets says at noon tuesday is it good for tues-wed-thursday or do they count the days like noon tues to noon wed as 1 day making the pass good till noon friday?

3)Forgot to ask to go to the Riviera deuce or sdx?

2. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1) Can't answer this one.
    2) Good until noon on Friday
    3) Deuce

3. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Duece and SDX passes are also good for all other routes too.

4. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bus information is in a constant state of change so no questions are dumb. The idea in LV is to make a buck if you can on the tourists so if you buy a residential pass for one of the off strip buses, locals can ride the Deuce with a local ID. However with the higher price pass for the Deuce you can ride the residential buses.

There is a 2 hour pass which as it states is good for just 2 hours. the day pass always causes some confusion. It is really a 24 hour pass which starts when the pass is validated by the machine or when you use it for the first time in the bus and it needs validation. Thus, a 3 Day pass is good for 3 24 hour periods of time.

Jimbo

PS the bus Guru is Dewey who could probably tell you the brand and size of their tires!

5. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good to see that you specifically mentioned the pinball hall of fame vegasqc.

have you been there before? if not try to make it as it is fantastic if you like pinball.

there are a dozen or so machines from the hall of fame at the riviera also.

6. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [I1) If i buy pass on the strip( deuce -sdx) can i also use it on other buses like to go to the pinball hall of fame or do I need another cheaper pass ?
    Strip passes are good on all buses.On the way to Pinball Hall of Fame you can get a free lunch for playing VP on a low pay table at the Crown and Anchor bar. Nice ambiance. I did not limit my play to the minimum and lost $100 but you don't have to do that. Just spin through $20 and you qualify. Nice, tasty food and decent beer on tap with a willingness to give you tastes to see what you'd like

http://www.crownandanchorlv.com/specials.html

2) If I buy a 3 day pass lets says at noon tuesday is it good for tues-wed-thursday or do they count the days like noon tues to noon wed as 1 day making the pass good till noon friday?
    When you buy the pass from the machine and validate it, it is dated with a time and you have the full 3 days to travel. Be sure any pass you use on the SDX is validated. Otherwise the inspectors may ask you to get off and validate in a sketchy part of town.

3)Forgot to ask to go to the Riviera deuce or sdx?[/QUOTE]
    The SDX stops are not convenient for the Riviera. Probably the closest walk would be from where it drops at the closed Sahara stop. Late at night the Deuce can be very crowded if going North to the Riviera from the busy strip, but not if coming there from downtown. I'd rather walk from Flamingo than bother with a bus on many busy Vegas nights. North of Flamingo crowded buses empty quickly on a trip to downtown. Go upstairs and you'll find a seat even if some are still standing downstairs.
    http://www.rtcsnv.com/wp-content/themes/rtc/pdf/12/SDX(09-30-12).pdf

Jimbo: The question is probably not how the buses are tired, but how tired the riders are when they want to ride.

7. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone

@survivor Im not a pinball fanatic but i love the old arcade game from the 80's and after checking their list online they have most of my old chilhood favorites

8. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I take the bus from the airport to Paris Las Vegas, it looks like I would take the 109 to the south transit center, then the SDX up the strip. I plan on buying a 24-hour pass, as we will later be going downtown.

However, I can't tell if I can buy the 24-hour SDX pass at the airport to use to get on the 109.

Do I need to pay the 109 fare, then also the $8 24-hour SDX pass, or is there somewhere at McCarran that I can buy the SDX pass?

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  9. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should be able to buy that 24 hour pass from the machines at the McCarren bus stop. If those are not functioning, you can buy the pass at the Transfer Station from machines there so then it costs you another $2 each for the one way residential ride

Sit on the SDX bus so that an exit will be easy. If you have luggage, you may find that exiting at Paris against the flow of a huge crowd is a bit of a hassle.
    Actually, if I were to do this again, I'd probably take the Deuce just to make it one way when I exit so that however long it takes me to get my 85 pound bag off the bus, I would not be fighting the crowds boarding. Since I'd board at the transfer station, I should be able to position myself in one of those side seats facing the exit door. That makes exiting easy.

I now take the 109 to Flamingo and then the 202 to Caesar's partially to avoid the crowded nature of that ride, but I am also always looking for a 15 or 30 day all access pass that I can buy near Flamingo and Maryland at the half price senior rates. That route is longer but less crowded, but you would not then be able to buy the pass for downtown on a strip bus until you had arrived on the strip, so that would cost you $4(two one way) or $5(24 residential pass) for residential passes I go for 23 days, so I have the largest suitcase you can imagine and exiting at Paris from the rear during a crowded time was not easy or pleasant.

Some on the board would just buy a residential 24 hour pass from the driver of the 108/109, use that on the 202 at Flamingo, and then see if they could use it later on the Deuce going downtown without being asked for a local ID. Rarely if ever does the driver ask for a local ID and enforce that technicality. However, on the Deuce you would know immediately after you swiped your pass if the driver was going to ask for anything. On the SDX you would board showing nothing and then show the pass to the inspector who also rarely if ever asks for a local ID, but were he to ask, this might mean being ejected half way to downtown or halfway back in an unpleasant neighborhood.
    Naturally, boarding a strip bus right there at the transfer station with a huge amount of luggage is a clear invitation for the driver to ask for local ID as you look like a tourist and you are in a place where tourists wait with luggage. So buying a 24 hour residential pass from the 109 driver and then taking the Deuce from the transfer station might be riskier than trying to get around the rules when you have no luggage and board at Paris during a busy time to get downtown.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.