1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

ZARKANA at Aria

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by GREGRIO, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

I LIKED ZARKANA!

It's a wonderfully colorful, dream like, and surreal Show...CIRQUE is back to it's roots circus
    acts...one after another. That's what I expected/that's what I got.
    I wasn't interested in following a 'story line'...didn't want to figure out this, that and
    the other thing...I just wanted to enjoy the Show for what it is, and ZARKANA delivered.

I swear...I've read so many reviews of ZARKANA, each reporter trying to describe in depth the
    story, the scenes, what works/what doesn't. I say...TOO MUCH INFORMATION! It's not that
    complicated...IT'S CIRQUE DU SOLEIL doing what CIRQUE does best, leave it at that and just
    sit back and enjoy what's put before you.

ZARKANA is no goofier than any of their other Shows in town.
    Yeah, there's a story line (but most won't get it, lol...) It's buried too deep in the mind of it's
    creator...it's too personal for us to 'get' easily. I certainly didn't, nor did I care to. I simply
    didn't need to to enjoy the Show.

It tells the story of 'Zark'...a magician, who seeks to reclaim both his love interest (never got
    who 'she' was really) and his powers (his magic doesn't work too well sometimes)...all set in
    and abandoned theater full of the 'white' ghosts of another circus past, that come back to life.
    Ya see.....ZARKANA used to be in English...explained in song lyric and spoken word, what was
    going on but...folks spent too much time trying to follow the story and missed it's relationship
    to the performers.
    Now....everything is in 'Cirquish'. We still don't understand what going on, but do pay more
    attention to the Artists.
    IT'S ALL CLEAR AS MUD NOW! (but fun) I don't think most folks attend a CIRQUE Show for the story.

ZARKANA is also described and a 'Rock Opera'...(didn't get that feeling either)
    The music is MUCH LOUDER than the other Shows however, and it's good!

ZARKANA is all circus acts: JUGGLING, THE LADDER TRIO, ROPE DUET, FLAGS, RUSSIAN FLYER BAR,
    HIGHWIRE, WHEEL OF DEATH, FLYING TRIPLE TRAPEZE, CIRCULAR WHEELS, HAND BALANCING, and
    the wonderful ACROBATS. (couldn't think of a better combination to better describe a guy loosing his
    girlfriend and jump start his ability to do magic huh...)

There's the snake woman, the spider woman, the pickle woman, the 'plant' woman they grab
    from the audience, and a pretty cool 'sand painting' woman (too bad she goes on, and on, and on, and...)

The costumes and stage sets are VERY COOL.
    Much of the stage is build around LED panels which display images and textures unlike any of the other
    CIRQUE Shows in town, giving it an almost 3-D image during some scenes.

My only problem with the Show is in it's...flow/it's timing between scenes.
    ZARKANA ran over 2 hours with an intermission at Radio City. They cut it to the normal 90min. for
    Las Vegas and are still adjusting to the new running time. There's too many long breaks in between
    acts while they set up the next one. The CLOWNS fill in....and fill in, and fill in and for me, that got
    old real quick. TOO MUCH CLOWNIN' AROUND.

ZARKANA is worth a visit and it's going to b a much better fit for Aria than VIVA ELVIS was.
    The showroom seating has stayed the same. Comfy couch seats in the Front sections, theater
    seats for the other sections.

The sections are...FRONT 100's, MIDDLE 200's, REAR 300's, and the BALCONY 400's.
    For now, I suggest the MIDDLE 200's section.
    MY SEAT was SEC. 202, ROW M, SEAT 11. This was the front row of the middle section and a
    great view. No heads in your way, with nothing but ZARKANA displayed in front of you.

As with any CIRQUE Show (save for ZUMANITY), the UPPER REAR seats provide the best experience.
    Stay as centered as possible. The far Left and Right sections just don't offer very good views.
    I'll see it again in Feb. from center FRONT SEC. 103 just to compare.
    (I bet it looks great from the BALCONY too...)
    Try to avoid SECTIONS 101, 105, 201, 205...(too far on the sides)

ARIA BOX OFFICE 1.855.927.5262
    (i paid the $138.60 preview price...they're higher now)

In Memoriam:
    FRANCOIS DUPUIS was one of the original cast of MYSTERE.
    He wore the diaper and bonnet in his character of 'Big Baby' and would choose a guy
    from the audience he'd call...."PAPA' (remember?)
    FRANCOIS died a short while ago...in his sleep.
    The free, in house program you can pick up, has a feature on him. He will be missed.

2. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. As usual, the definitive word. I think I'm going to go in April.

3. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the review and tips, I will be seeing this show on December 29th.

4. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking forward to seeing it in December!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.