1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

question for flying airlines msp to las

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by TheHangover, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHangover

TheHangover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone flew from Minneapolis to Vegas? If so any info or opinions would be great about the airline options..... likes or dislikes, comfy or not so comfy seats, friendly, etc.

So tell me any advice ya got!
    Thanks in advance as I am a new flier all my other Vegas trips were driving road trips!

2. crappie_man

crappie_man Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two words...Sun Country.
    They fly out of Terminal #2. Fairly comfy seats, but a no frills/non-stop option.
    Southwest has some flights, but want to route you through Denver. Delta has non-stops but they are pricey. Connection would probably route you through Chicago.

3. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One word - Delta. Sun Country would be great if they were cheaper - but they never are. I get Kayak updates daily - they are always exactly the same price as Delta. Plus they typically have one flight per day - with Delta you have choices. Also if there is a problem with the plane, with Delta you have other flights to choose from. Spirit has recently started flying out of the Twin Cities - I am considering them for a Spring trip as they are showing $208 and both Delta and Sun Country are both at $390. But they do charge extra for everything.

4. bloom1966

bloom1966 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is also Frontier Airlines, which will stop in Denver for a connection. My wife and I flew Frontier in 2010 on a Classic Plus fare. The stopover in Denver wasn't too long (2 hours if I remember correctly) and gave us the chance to explore DIA a bit. On a negative note....plan on either leaving VERY early in the morning or around dinner time which will land you in Vegas VERY late in the evening.

5. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MSP is a Delta hub, so if you watch for it, you may be able to snag some sale seats. I've flown from my non-hub airport in Ohio to MSP for a connection. My mom flew from Alabama, to MSP, then on to Vegas. I think it's a matter on vigilant monitoring to score the best deals. Yapta, AirFareWatchDog and Kayak are all good tools to help you with that. :peace:

6. TheHangover

TheHangover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies any info on airfare choices, etc. Helps me out 100%!

Like I said I'm a new flier and I've never even booked a flight before so I'm nervous to make the purchase just because I want to make sure I make the right choice.... I'm a flying virgin :angel:
    plus if I go this would be my first ever solo trip too!

7. TheHangover

TheHangover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also I think for my first time flying I would prefer nonstop now that I think about it.

So lets say I choose a nonstop flight delta or sun country flight do I choose a seat or do they assign one for me?
    Also what about luggage is that an add on fee to the flight prices I see online?

8. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can only answer for Delta. You can choose a seat when you book your flight. You can also go back and change it. Delta is notorious with flight changes, so you always want to recheck you seat if your flight changes, i.e. -they change the plane type and your seat isn't "valid" anymore. I had me and my BF sitting together on both flights for our September trip. By the time they were done, we didn't sit anywhere close to each other on either flight.

Delta allows one carry-on to fit in the overhead bin and one personal item to fit under your seat. For free. They charge for checking luggage - I don't check luggage so I'm not sure of the cost.

I don't normally fly Sun Country so can't help you with that.

9. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only non stops are delta and sun country, that's it. Myself I have flown delta(OR northwest) many times and hate them, will never fly them again unless I saved a ton. Other choices are SW and Frontier, connecting through denver would be the easiest and quickest. I took the sw one stops twice this year with no problems, will do again.

10. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown the connecting Delta flight through MSP to Vegas several times, business and coach. I don't like MSP layout at all but you wouldn't have the same problems as I have had since you are flying direct.

I would recommend the Delta flight.

11. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown all the options from MSP- Delta nonstop, Sun Country nonstop, Frontier stopping in Denver, Southwest stopping in Denver -and every time my choice came down to two things: schedule and cost

So since it is your first time flying and you would like nonstop, i'd recommend Sun Country if it fits your schedule. It departs MSP from terminal 2, much much much less hassle for security lines and airport arrival time (I usually head to that terminal 45 mins before my flight). Plus I think Sun Country is using the new terminal @ McCarran?

Delta is the better option if you have a certain schedule requirement. I find that both Sun Country and Delta are very similar in cost when you book far in advance, but Delta is cheaper as you get closer (because they offer more flights each day)

12. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am flying Sun Country next week, 2nd time to Vegas on them and have flown Delta twice. Both good airlines, got a movie once on delta on the way there, kept shutting off on them. Delta has Bisoff cookies but Sun Country has full size cans of soda. Security is a breeze at terminal two

13. djen

djen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have flown MSP to Vegas many times. Lately I prefer, Sun Country or Southwest. Both fly out of Terminal 2 (AKA Humprhey Terminal) which is much more convenient than Terminal 1.

As noted Sun Country is direct while Southwest will typically connect thru St. Louis, Phoenix or Dallas. Layover typically adds 1-2 hours to the flight. I have connected in Denver where I get off the plane and in line to board the next flight.

I have have flown Delta, back when it was still Northwest. They will get you there as well as the others, though I find their service a bit inferior to the others.

As for seating, Sun Country will allow you to pay extra to select a seat when booking. If you wait until you check in (online or airport) there is no charge for selecting any available seats (not including first class). Southwest has no assigned seats, you simply sit down in any available seat on the plain when you board. Delta will allow you to select non preferred seats at no charge when booking the flight, yet typically charges for aisle and/or window seats.

Luggage Fees: Sun Country charges $25 for first bag ($20 if prepaid), more for second bag. Southwest no charge for first 2-bags. Delta also charges though I am unsure how much.

Other Fees: Southwest will allow you to get preferred seating for an additional $10 each way. This will typically give you a boarding number in the A-group in the first 20-40 people onto the plane.

As for airfares, typically airfares from MSP to most destinations is higher than than other locations. This is typically a result of limited competition.

Parking at the MSP. Parking is a couple dollars less at Terminal 2.

14. mickeydfly13

mickeydfly13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit is flying nonstop from msp to las now, too. my buddy just booked a $197 round trip--very good rate.

15. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am with Josie, Blue and Boone. Delta is a very good option if the cost (remember SWA does not charge for bags) is equal. I have flown to Vegas connecting in MSP more than a few times on Delta. On a side note, I think MSP is one of the better airports, even in the winter. They do a great job of de-icing in the winter and don't come to a skidding halt during heavy snow.

16. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Noooooo! I think you might have jinxed us now...

It's like Fight Club, you can't talk about it

17. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone, forget I said anything. Jman is right!

18. hanoscf

hanoscf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last week I booked a flight on Sun Country for $297 travelling 1/15-21.

Also, last week I flew to Boston on Sun Country out of Terminal 2. Because of construction the security lines took a lot longer than normal. I don't know when the construction is supposed to be finished. But I would allow more that 45 minutes like some poster said.

19. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that's the additional checkpoint construction

Bummer that you had to wait in a long line; generally when I leave on leisure its in the evening and maybe I've had to wait 5 mins in a security line at that terminal, hence, I'm not showing up until the very last minute. Business travelers will certainly drive up that line wait during peak times.

20. TheHangover

TheHangover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finally went ahead and booked my flight. I did delta non stop so how early should I get to the airport?
    Is there something online that I can read to know the dos and don'ts of what I can pack in my suitcase and carry on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.