1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA charge card points

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked my wife's SWA account today and the 50,000 points for opening the charge card we're deposited.:thumbsup:

Cancelled the card and now we'll wait for another offer. This was her second card and 2nd 50,000 points. The first time there was no annual fee for a year. This time there was a $69 fee up front.

I've also done it twice but haven't received another offer. Maybe two is the max?

It's normally around 9,000+ points non stop Milwaukee to Vegas.

2. jvferg72

jvferg72 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait a minute, you still get to use the points even though you cancelled the credit card?

I have the SWA card now and plan to cancel mine this month. How long do I have to wait to reapply and get the 50k points again? I did not think they would let you do it more than once.

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mine is coming up for renewal, I think I'll pay the $69, they give you 3000 pts I think, which amounts to $50 off a flight(brings the true cost to 19 bucks). I kinda feel guilty getting 3 free flights for so little.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh sure we get the points. As soon as you satisfy the requirements, in this last case it was $1,000 charged in 90 days. We did that the first month, so when the statement closed, the points went into her SWA account. 200,000 points so far between us. 2 cards each over the last 3 years.:thumbsup:
    You have to wait for them to start the offer up again. I cancelled my last card in August, but haven't seen another offer yet to reapply.

5. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holy crap Joe!! Does it come with drink coupons?? I'm IN !!!! May have to take later flights to use the coupons but if so I'M in.....ha

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's an offer out there again and I just applied and got instant approval on line.
    New terms are:
    $2,000 charged within first 3 months, old offer was $1,000.
    $99 annual fee. Old offer was $69.

Still 50,000 points.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/2ffian?RMID=L_121110_IAN&RRID=am9lamFrQHByb2RpZ3kubmV0&src=MAILIANWKND000000121110A

These constant applications and then cancellations do have some affect on your credit score because on my latest car insurance renewal notice it listed several score factors. But the premium rate was the same as last year. Our credit score was in the 800s, before I started all this.

Length of time accounts established
    Number of revolving accounts open
    Balance to (their spelling) high credit on open accounts
    Number of inquiries in last 12 months.

We don't use credit for anything other than credit cards and they are paid in full every month, so I don't think it hurts us.

If this goes through, it will be my 3rd SWA card in 3 years and each one came with the 50,000 points.

EDIT: Just did my wife's application on line and it was also approved even though I just cancelled her old one October. So, we just need to charge $4,000 over the next 3 months to get the 100,000 points.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't feel guilty, the card is issued by JP Morgan Chase, and they are no charity case. They hope that you carry a balance and charge 25% interest.

8. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow Joe - How much did it affect your credit score?

Was that a special promo? all I see is the usual 50,000 point one.

When we Were Young
  9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry my post was confusing I just combined the two offers.
    $2,000 for me in 3 months =50,000 points
    $2,000 for her in 3 months =50,000 points.

As far as credit score, I don't know but we have no debt, so as far as I can tell, it doesn't really matter. Maybe somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

All our cards are paid in full each month. No mortgage, car loans etc, so I don't see how even a crappy credit score would hurt us.

Our home/car insurance agent told me our credit score was in the mid 800s before we started the SWA application/cancellation process.

I guess maybe it could become an issue when we apply for our 4th SWA cards sometime in 2013:evillaugh

10. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but having debt is actually good for your credit score. It shows that you can pay off loans and stuff.

Peronally, I wouldn't worry about your credit score. Especially if it's still over 800. That's a lot of free airline tickets for a minimal hit to your credit score.

And this reminds me, I gotta have my wife call and cancel her SW card...booked the 50,000 points so no need to keep the card.

11. 1BETSY1

1BETSY1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Were you able to put your wifes card points on your
    rapid rewards account or did she have to open her own RR account?

12. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to read the fine print...........

Bonus Points
    Rapid Rewards points can be redeemed for Wanna Get Away?® Fares at a rate of 60 points for each $1 of fare price. To qualify for your bonus points, you must make purchases totaling $2,000 or more during the first 3 months from account opening; please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus points to post to your Rapid Rewards account. Purchases do not include using your account for balance transfers or cash advances, or using any checks that access your account. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards personal Cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards personal Cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many thanks Username:nworthy::nworthy:. I did miss this so I called to cancel the cards before they were activated and was told as long as I didn't have a current account the offer applied. This sounded too good to be true, so I called again and spoke to a different person. Previous cardholders not eligible!

You saved me $198, thanks for catching that! Thanks:thumbsup:

14. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The other catch if I read it correctly is for those 50,000 points to be used you must have a open account with the credit card.......

Back in August I got the SWA card at the Vegas airport....then it was only $1000 to be spent in the first 3 months.....we were each going to get one but thought it might be hard to spend $2k in 3 months....but now that's the required amount......so the wifey signed up a couple of days ago......thinking this over.....if need be I will purchase some gas gift cards, grocery cards and maybe some Walmart and or Sam's Club gift cards to round out to the required $2K......

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment.
    I guess it depends on their definition of fulfillment. Is that when you try and use the points, or when the points get loaded into the account?

I closed my wife's account after the 50,000 were loaded and they are still there. Granted, we haven't try to use them yet.

This is the way we've done it in the past and didn't have a problem using the points w/o an active card. We'll have to wait and see. Maybe they added that to the rules since then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.