1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Skin Problems?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by booker, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last 5-6 trips I get a rash on my legs and/or torso that itches like mad. I'm thinking it must be the low humidity or perhaps a reaction to the soap used to wash the sheets. Water?

I just returned from visiting a cousin in Reno, and the same thing happened. I keep hitting the spots with lotion and it seems to help a bit, but if the past is prologue, I'll have this rash for nearly a month.

Does this happen to others?

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same hotel each time?

3. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. Different hotels … well, one repeat, but same results everywhere.

4. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it happens to me every single time and sometimes it's quite red and painful. It's usually between my upper legs. I used to think it was something at the Luxor since we always stayed there and I actually heard another young woman at the hotel talking about the same thing happening to her. But since then we've stayed at numerous hotels and it still happens *and* it has happened to me when we've taken trips to other Western states. I think it is the drier air and my body having to acclimate to it because it sometimes even happens here at home (Orlando area) and it is happening right now (and we're having very dry weather when it's usually so humid here).

5. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could be the bleach they use in the laundry, never know. Try taking your own sheet next time, see what happens.

6. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over the years it's happened to me I tried making sure I slept with pajamas so I never touched the sheets and literally blow drying myself so that I never touched the towels. Never made a bit of difference.

7. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm thinking it's probably the dry air as I live at the coast. Ashton and I are about the same, but it really hits my shins, calves, hips and sides. I'm a pretty fair skinned whit boy. Some might say pasty, but not to my face!

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you tried taking Benadryl?

They say thats what you should take for allergic reactions.They loaded me up with it in the ER when I had a bad reaction to a spider bite.
    I would at least check with my doc,why suffer needlessly?

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just think how many things are happening to your bidy on vacation.

- different laundry soap, drying machines, sheets, foods, soaps, water. all sorts of stuff that can come into play.

the you have to factor in the actual lack of humidity in the desert.

Factor all that stuff in and it really can do number on you if you are sensitive.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sounds like allergies or maybe even eczema to me, but the latter would be something that would flair up even outside of Vegas. There could be something in the Vegas environment that you are allergic that wouldn't be in your regular environment. I would try Benadryl and bathing with Aveeno or baking soda to help ease the discomfort. If it really lasts a month, you should probably see a doctor because you probably would benefit from a shot of something.

11. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try taking a teaspoonful of coconut oil while you are there. You can add the oil to coffee or drink straight up. See if that helps.

12. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a topical lotion, try AmLactin. When I lived in Utah, I bathed in lotion (and hair conditioner). I (and my skin & hair) are so much happier living in the humid east......

13. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have sensitive skin but I noticed that in LV that it is a LOT easier to shave and my beard doesn't grow nearly as fast as at home (NH). Afout 5 years ago I was walking to my hotel and noticed that I was awfully itchy and found that I had quite a case of the hives on my arms and legs. I carry a lot of patent medicines but didn't have anything for that. I was trying to think what they used to perscribe in the ER when I worked there going through college. IT was a prescription back then but an over the counter med now. I was really tired so decided to go to bed and if it got really bad I was a ten minute walk to Walgrens. I fell right to sleep and no hives in the am, just a red rash where the hives were.

I headed to my trade show and went to a seminar 8-9:30 and was fine; but in the next seminar I got a horrible case of hives and walked out and asked Security where the hospital on Paradise was. He told me to check with the nurse on duty at the LVCC. She told me that I'd probably wait 14 hours at the hospital and told me there was a walk in clinic on E. Harmon. I took a cab and was checked, given a shot and a perscription . The hives disappeared and i checked in with my doctor when i returned. This has never happened before or since and he surmised that it was just a freak reaction to something.....said it may have been and indiginous flower, food or whatever and if it doesn't reoccur that it wasn't anything to get concerned about. He gave me a prescription but now Benedryle, Clariton and others and their generics are over the counter meds now.

I bet that you have more sensitive skin and the low humidity is at the root of your problems.

Jimbo338

14. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had similar problems when not bringing my own body wash, wash cloths and skin lotions. Would recommend using the same bath towel several times over, allowing it to air-dry on the rod to minimize irritation from their detergents.

Also experience severe eye redness, throat hoarseness and dry nose. Can't go without eye drops and saline nasal gel. I avoid taking allergy pills because it's no fun to be drowsy or have it counteract with alcohol.

15. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hydrocortisone cream should do the trick and not make you tired like benedryl will. Amlactin is also excellent. Good luck.

16. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only thing to ever hit me there is dry lips. Never here in Minnesota, but last trip in Vegas I had to buy ChapStick

17. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good info, friends. It does indeed sound like others have similar issues. Lots of food for thought. I think I'll talk to my doc. I am a bit better now, but my "patches" are still there.

18. vegasqc

vegasqc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    samething happened to me on my 2010 trip at PH at a few red spots on my sides, legs, arms. Stayed at Ph again in 2011 and nothing happened that time.

The red spots didnt hurt at all but it took a good week for them to go away once i got back home

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am addicted to Chapstick. I have tubes everywhere. Office, car, bedroom, bathroom and I can't leave the house w/o one in my pocket.

There are even several support groups like this one, Lip Balm Anonymous:
    http://www.lipbalmanonymous.com/

20. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Gawd, yes! I think by using them our lips stop making their own oils … or something. Very scientific, eh?

I have one everywhere as well. I lost two or three tubes on my last Vegas trip. Then, at 2:00am I dropped one at the head of my Myrphy bed and damn near killed myself getting it.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.