1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I don't like to be called "Mommie" by service people

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LucyR., Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a retired old grandma senior lady who had a great professional career.
    I support myself and am comfortable in a nice middle-class life-style where I can afford to travel and go on cruise ships and Vegas.

I have noticed a new trend of workers who come to my condo to do plumbing, etc. and think they can call me "Mommie" which I think is unprofessional and just too personal and too familier. I correct them.

I have no idea where workers think they can call us old ladies "Mommies".
    A friend of mine thinks it wouldn't bother her if she was called that name by workers. She has her man living with her. I live alone and think the men are just getting too familier with me which is not right.

I was on a cruise ship recently and the waiter called me "Mommie" when he
    served me my food. I was cruising Solo so he must have thought it was okay to call me that name. I corrected him and told him not to call me that name. He was surprised and embrassed and felt bad.

I think it is demeaning towards senior ladies who are not close or related to the person calling them "Mommie".

Some people may say I am being too sensitive and must have a poor self image. Well....yea....that may be true...but it chaps my hide and I kick hinney. I was born a verbal warrior who doesn't like to be disrespected.
    I try to be respectful of others and I expect the same treatment from service workers.
    I once had a street bum say to me, "hello Mommie". I just got to my car as fast as I could and took off because he started to follow me as I was walking.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. jugdish76

jugdish76 Low-Roller

Uhhhhh ....

3. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Must say I have never heard of this before. I get called "Papi" all the time when I am in Puerto Vallarta, but I take it as a compliment....

4. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never heard anyone call a woman "mommie". That is odd. It should be "ma'am".

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never heard mommie before but I know my 60 year old wife just hates it when someone calls her "young lady".

6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It may be a spanish thing

In their culture it may be a term of respect.

7. char arts

char arts Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    mommie

I think it is rude to call you or any woman that. What happened to "Miss"
    or ma'am. I always like it when someone calls me " YOUNG lady"!!
    makes my day as I am 68 yr old and by no means young. then a happy thank you makes all of our day!

8. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am 50 and haven't been called "miss" for several years. I miss it...no pun attended. Ma'am does make me feel older. Then again, I AM older than many of the employees servicing me.

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have not heard of this happening but will ask my Mom. She lives in a senior facility so i am sure she knows.

On the other hand, I dont mind it one bit if females call me Daddy.

Must be a guy thing.

10. eloisegirl

eloisegirl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if they are not saying "Mami" which is pretty common. I hate when a waitperson says, "What are you guys having?"

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Guys" another one my wife hates, but it is so common almost everywhere we go.
    She is not that particular but "young lady" & "guys" really does annoy her.

12. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just bizarre, I've never heard of such a thing.

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lucy, I agree with jerseyguy, this is a Hispanic term of endearment, just like Papi. With that said, if you are not comfortable with it, just let him know upfront, after all, they are tipped employees.

This is my number one pet peeve when going out to dinner with my wife and daughters. I really want to pull a Robert De Niro and say "are you talking to me? There's only one guy at the table, so you must not be talking to me!", but my wife would probably walk out. Plus, I don't want them to spit in my food.

My second pet peeve is the recitation of the daily specials, if you are too cheap to spend a few cents on paper and ink, don't waste your breath. I will not order a special of the day unless its written, 'cause if I have to ask, it's probably too expensive. The restaurant probably trying to "off" something anyway that will be garbage in two days. Get a chalkboard so I can see it when I walk in.

My third peeve is an out of date beer menu. There are so many great craft brews, I want to try them all, please let me know what you have and don't have!

14. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They aren't calling you "Mommy." They are calling you "mami" which is a Spanish/Hispanic slang and not to be taken literally. Women do refer to other women as "mami" and there are no sexual connotations. People also call their children by those nicknames.It's just like someone from the south calling you "hon" or such.

15. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol I was thinking the same. Never heard of such a thing.

16. Bookoo1

Bookoo1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe they are puerto rican.

17. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They call me MOMMIE! Not Mami...

It is not a Hispanic thing in my personal SINGLE WOMAN situation.
    I have been called MOMMIE by several different culteral groups of men.
    Caucasian, Latino, Phillipinos, African-Americans.

My main point is that if I am with a man having dinner no waiter would have the guts to call me MOMMIE, because my man would tell them off.

Since I live alone the service workers think it is okay to get too familiar with my single woman situation. Some dare to flirt with me and I correct them about that too.
    I don't consider it a term of endearment because these men are total strangers to me and they should act professional.

I don't think that any decent married man would want a man to call their wife MOMMIE while the worker is fixing the plumbing or serving her food at a restaurant when they are together.

It is really hard to express how I feel about being called Mommie by strange men. It just seems uncalled for to address me with that name.

Yes, I plan to correct everybody that calls me Mommie because I am not their mother. It is totally inapropriate sp and disrespectful. It chaps my hide.
    If somebody should call me Mami I will kick their hinney verbally too.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been going to Las Vegas since I was in my 20s (which was back in the 70s, not to admit my real age) and I don't ever remember being called "mommie" by any service people. Usually it's "ma'am", very occasionally "miss", and in that case it often means a better tip. :) :) :)

19. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have NEVER heard of this. The fact that it seems so widespead as it relates to ( apparently )just you is very strange.

20. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sounds like an LA or West Coast thing

Never remember Mrs JG mentioning anything like this happening around here.
    It's usually How are you guys,folks, people tonite ? Places we frequent dont give you the Good Evening Sir and Madam bit ,we're mostly at local Jersey Shore Bar/Restaurants or good Italian BYOB'S.
    I'm gonna ask her about the Mommie thing .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.