1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Letting a Friend Have Your Comped Room

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by AliGee, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliGee

AliGee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're staying at the Wynn and Bellagio on our next trip, but also had an offer for 3 nights comped at the Venetian/Palazzo. Some friends of ours we'd very much like to meet up with just moved to So. Cal so I booked the "spare" offer at the Palazzo and will let them stay in the room. (I have every intention of playing some at the Palazzo, so I won't completely no-play them.) I know people do this all the time, but having never done so myself I'm getting curious about the details of how it works.

Do I just give them the keys and let them have at it? I know the Palazzo checks room keys as you go to the elevator, but just to see if you have one - there's no way the guard would know if it's in your name or not. Or is it better (or even possible) to have one person of the couple listed on the room account? I'm thinking of them getting back to the room late to find the room key doesn't work, then they have to call me and have me come over to get a new key (not a huge problem, but I might be drunk off my a$$ at the time :evillaugh ). I do trust them not to take a bunch of stuff from the mini-bar. But then, if they wanted to could they order room service? Sorry for being a complete nube on this subject, but I know plenty of VMBers out there have lots of experience with this. :kiss:

2. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're going to get a bunch of different answers, because there are no 'rules' for doing this -- mostly since you're not technically allowed to do it.

When I've done it, I checked them in and just gave them the keys.

What you have to realize is that if you low play the offer at the second hotel, it's going to hurt your future offers. And yeah, the part where they could get locked out and you have to go over-- that's the risk you take.

You could probably put one of them on the room, but you'd likely have to lie to do it. Personally I'm not comfortable with that. But if you were, just take the female of the other couple to the desk with you and put her on the room. If anyone asks, you could tell them that you have your wife in the Wynn and your mistress at Venetian. Not that something like that would ever happen in vegas :wink2:

Edit: If they ordered room service, they'd have to charge it to the room or pay cash. And if they charged it to the room, you'd be on the hook for it at checkout.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  3. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say nothing to worry about at all from a CET standpoint in my experience,but familiar with the V/P as well over the years..asking for extra room keys at check-in cause"I always lose one" etc..(Incase they do lose one!)
    If possible your friends could register to Club Grazie online beforehand or in person before you check in and ad one of them as a possible guest of yours would be my insurance they would be ok..
    And security is no problem and or room service/housekeeping etc.no ID ever needed.
    You have a great plan in order and have a blast!

4. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no problem at all to add 1 of them to your room. rooms are all based on double occupancy so when you check in add 1 of them to the room then if they lose their keys or they dont work ect one of them can go to the desk and get new keys issued it wont be a problem the only issue you might have would be on future offers based on low playing them which your already aware of based on your post.

5. elvis66

elvis66 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I've done it I always have one of them check in with me and get them to put their credit card up for incidentals and have their name on the room. That way they can charge all they want to the room and it will charge their card

6. Happily

Happily High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is what I do.

Also, remind them that the snacks and stuff out in the room at Venetian/Palazzo are part of the minibar, and they can't even pick them up or they will be charged to the room (It's a weighted system). That's always my biggest worry with that place.

7. Happily

Happily High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, double post deleted

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  8. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be your name on the reservation and your credit card on hold for incidentals. Personally I wouldn't do it. Honesty is the best policy.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do it all the time for my brothers at Golden Gate, Plaza & Four Queens. I register and use my CC and also have their names on the room just in case they need an extra key or it stops working etc.
    EDIT: Using free room offers of course, I'm not paying for them!

10. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always have them use their credit card and have them put their name down as staying with me. Never had a problem and I've done it at least 20 times.

11. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done it many times. Book and hold the room under you cc. When you arrive and hopefully check in with them, add one of them onto the reservation and .have them give their cc for incidentals and signing privledges. That's the only way its going to work if you don't want a possible late night call saying they have lost their key or have them charging anything onto your cc.

I know I am a little paranoid, but I only have one person come up with me to check in, not both. Not that they would care in the least, but....

What I always request when I do this for someone, is that if they gamble, then to please use my players card (get extras for them)

Have fun!

:beer::beer::beer:

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As to the suggestion about your guest getting a Grazie card first. There is no need for that at all.

As to getting extra keys. Not a bad idea, but if the first two do not work, the others probably will not work either.

When we do this, we either add a second name so they can charge or get a repalcement key. You can call it your sister, mistress, wife with different last name, whatever makes you feel good. It does not matter. And, they do not ask. They are taught to be discreet.

Our free rooms have been at MGM or CET and we have enough points that we offer to cover some meal expense for them as well.

Yes - make it VERY, VERY clear about mini bar, room service, tips, etc.

We ALWAYS check out the room before their arrival, or with them if checking in at same time. This is important in case there is a key or room issue that needs YOUR attention.

Play and ADT issues always apply of course.

13. lmondun

lmondun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once or twice, at an mLife property, I've actually had a host set up a friend's comped room reservation under my name, knowing that I'm not going to be the one sleeping in the room. Because the host knows my play history and trip frequency, they know I will play enough there anyway to make it worth their while.

But I generally do the "second room for a friend" thing at CET properties, where my play history is less consistent and where I am less likely to want to stay myself. So, the routine there is:

Check in and add the second name to the reservation.

Give the friend the keys, then tell them to charge everything they do in Vegas to the room. (As I do.)

At the end of the trip, go to check out and ask for an itemized bill. Then, I use my TR rewards to cover whatever is left on the folio for the room.

The friend pays me back for their personal expenses after the fact.

14. AliGee

AliGee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the replies, everyone. I knew that I would get good info here. I will take one of the couple with me to check in with me. I didn't know that they could have their CC on the room, but I'll discuss that with them before check in. These are very good friends, and very trustworthy so even if it was my CC on file, I know they wouldn't abuse the situation. Although I do like the V/P, I also like the other two properties we eventually chose to stay with, so the Venetian was getting the chop anyway. I'll play enough there this time to not have to worry about that statement you sign at check in about meeting expected play, but it's been a while since we concentrated our play there anyway so it won't be hard to meet that criteria.

This will be the first time we have hosted (relatively) newbies in Vegas, and they are excited! I think I'll start a thread about slot club offers for new members, and what two art lovers can find on the gaudy Strip, so I haven't finished picking your brains yet!

15. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could also give them your Grazie card & have their slot play get credited to you.

If they hit a JP you might have to hoof it over there - lolz

When we Were Young
  16. Happily

Happily High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To my knowledge, comped rooms at Venetian/Palazzo have never been conditional (have to play so much) to guarantee a current offer (I think that's only an MLife thing). The free room is yours no matter what. Low-playing could only hurt future offers. So only play where you want future offers. No need to waste it there. Have a great trip.

17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is not conditional at Mlfe either. but, as said, it will impact future offers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.