1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Using the 20/50/100 dollar sandwich trick @ Bellagio?

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by wranglerspace, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wranglerspace

wranglerspace Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so my soon to be wife and I will be in Vegas next Thursday - Sunday and I have a room @ the Belagio.. Resort Deluxe Room.. Instead of paying an extra couple of hundred books when booking for a lake view I figured I would give the sandwich trick a try.

anyone in the last few weeks had this work. I would really love to get into a suite so was thinking of slipping a 100 and mentioning it was our honeymoon and see where that takes me..

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    first of all, if you're willing to slip the attendent $100, why not pay the extra couple of hundred to guarantee a lakeview? especially on your honeymoon. only a small percentage of B rooms are lakeview and of course everyone wants them because they're the best view in the city. when they're sold out, they're sold out and no amount of tipping can get you one.

the biggest problem you're going to have is thurs-sun is a tough time for any sort of upgrade and next weekend is a HUGE golf tournament at Shadow. the biggest tournament of the year, 2 months ago they were requiring a $150k CL to get in, now it's probably up to $500k or higher. that means most of the suites will be taken by the big players in town for the tournament. so getting a suite upgrade is going to be extra tough.

slipping 100 generally won't be any better than a 20 except your pocket will be $80 lighter. your best bet is just to mention it's your honeymoon and ask if they have any upgrades available, no tip needed. you can tip after the fact if they do something for you.

3. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the risk of sounding like a guy who is close to a rant all I will say is this $20/$50/$100 sandwich thing is ridiculous and there is no need for such "cloak and dagger" behaviour. First of all I agree with Shifter, if you are willing to pay $100 on the chance if an upgrade why not just pay fill price and get it.

However, the best advice I can give you is hold that $20/$50/$100 right out where everyone can see it when you are asking for an upgrade so they know on the spot what's up. Or even flat out tell them, "There's $50 for you if you can make this happen" They will let you know quite clearly if it's a yes or no. If it's a no, you don't have the embarrassing problem of asking for your money back (which you really can't) or wasting that money on a faux upgrade that you probably would have gotten if you had just asked nicely.

Just say NO to the sandwich! Hmmmm...that sounds like a good start to a thread......

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree that if it's important, then just pay for what you want and don't mess around with risking not getting an upgrade. That being said, I was at Bellagio a couple weeks ago on a reservation for whatever their most basic room is; I told the clerk that my girlfriend was meeting me out later that day, and that I was trying to sell her on Vegas as a repeat destination. He gave me a renovated room in the main tower, dead center on the fountains, and he indeed got a nice tip. But like I said, if you really do care about the room and/or view, then just reserve that at the outset.

5. luvvp

luvvp Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't tip at check in but after going up to room and finding it's a suite or a room with a great view (which I really don't care, not one to hang out at the window) I'll use a Hotel envelope with a tip and return to registration thanking them.

6. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like this idea as well.

I Like to Drink and Gamble
  7. wizard950

wizard950 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter is correct. In most cases all you have to do is ask nicely and it doesn't hurt to mention what you're celebrating.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bottom line - if the rooms you want are already gone, no amount of money is going to get it for you.

As a Plat I have asked for lakeview a number of times, and the person at the desk always has to go talk to somebody else - the keeper of the rooms or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.