1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anniversary dinner downtown?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Joe, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    October 17th is our 31st anniversary and I need some nice dinner ideas for downtown. Our two favorite places Redwood & Second St Grill turns out are both closed on Wednesdays. We also get comped there.:cry: So I’m going to have blow the cobwebs out of the wallet and actually pay for food downtown. Oh, the shame:cry:

I never knew they both were dark on Wednesdays, we usually fly home on Tuesdays and I never paid attention.

Pasta Pirate would be an option and a comp, but that just doesn't seem nice enough, even though we like the food. Not trying to sound hoity toity, because we like the food there.

Anyway, my thoughts so far were Triple George or Flame. I despise the Nugget and haven’t spent/gambled a dime in there in 10+ years, but I might have to bite the bullet and consider Vic & Anthony, Chart House or Grotto. But I'm open to suggestions.

I do have a Restaurant.com for Triple George and we've never been there.

And please, nobody say Tony Roma's.:evillaugh

2. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Triple George is nice and the food very good, but it's kinda loud in there IIRC.

What about Hugo's Cellar?

4. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

well, joe, i already know that you share my opinion of hugo's, so do not have to worry about you being led there!

michelle and i once went and had drinks and dessert at the bar at triple george, after dinner somewhere else, and got a feel for the place. have had dinner there a couple of times since, and it is good, but i do not know if it really is all that romantic, but after the 31, having the food be good is accomplishing a lot.

leaving out the golden nugget, then, maybe oscar's is worth a shot.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I forgot to exclude Hugo's as a choice.
    And you're right, after 31, atmosphere is nice, but the food & value becomes important.:wink2:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  6. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well never mind on Hugo's Cellar then. It's been a long time since I've been there (7 or 8 years maybe?) :eek:

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is also the chance that we will be winning, enjoying adult beverages and just end up wandering into the 777 at midnight.:drunk:

I did send a list of everybody's PDF menus to the boss and I'll see if anything looks good to her.

8. Indyjaybird

Indyjaybird Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anniversary Dinner

Chart House really is good if you like seafood and especially if you can get a table for two right next to the large aquarium - very cool. We love the Flame and also like Binions - the chicken fried lobster just melts in your mouth and it is a great view up there! Congrats on your anniversary!

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We ate Valentine's dinner at Triple George a few years back (unintentionally - that is, we planned to eat there, and the night we were available happened to be Feb 14) They had a prix fixe we opted for, and we were seated in the 2nd room, which is much quieter than the bar area. I tend to prefer the fun "snugs" in the bar area, personally, but then - I go out to eat for good food, not so much engineered "romance":peace: Since 3G and 2nd St are my faves downtown, and one is closed, Triple George would be my recommendation. Enjoy your meal and congratulations on the anniversary!!

10. weas

weas Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Vegas Deals

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Second vote for the Chart House. My son-in-law had the rib-eye and he said it was the best he ever had and he used to be a butcher.

11. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because you are open to suggestion, I really do put my vote for Vic & Anthony's. Call them, tell them it's your anniversary when you make reservations. We get put upstairs for our anniversary where there are two, maybe three tables, tops. Your own little hideaway. The Bone In Ribeye is the only way to go.

Hugo's is fine, Chart House is fine, too. But nothing beats a good steak.

Congratulations!

12. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, unless you don't actually enjoy beef all that much:ssst:
    (for once, this wasn't a "steakhouse" specific thread - and I really appreciate that, as someone who usually orders seafood...)

13. bu$hman

bu$hman Guppie trying to become a whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True that. I enjoy seafood, as well. I have eaten at Chart House twice and not blown away either time, but enjoyable just the same. I did not mean to infer steak specific. My apologies if I have offended.

14. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, my vote goes for The Flame. I like Hugo's but think it loses a bit of luster after your first dinner. I like Chart House and think it is the most attractive room of all but it is still a chain and I think it is over priced for what you get. Triple George is a great place, great cocktails, very good food but the room is not 100% anniversary meal material.

My vote goes to The Flame not for the room (meh) but for the good service, live piano and I have never had a bad meal at the place. That being said, I have not yet had dinner at Oscar's but do love the view from the room - I have eaten there three times. Nor have I had dinner at Binion's steak place.

15. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my opinion, Binion's has a more romantic atmosphere than Triple George.

I eat alone at each place on every visit.

The food is good at both.

Both are quiet.

There is a certain charm to Binion's Steakhouse that I am unable to describe.

Happy anniversary!

16. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to admit that I was party to a hate thread on The Flame not too long ago. Twice we were trapped for an unbelievable amount of time trying to pay our bill, 45 minutes an actual occurrence. The hostess attributed this to the 'team concept', which seemed to me to be two waiters and a score of food runners to handle the entire restaurant. This time I went in as a solo diner and had already calculated the amount of cash necessary to cover the bill, tax, and tip. I told the server early that I would be in a hurry to leave. Walked in at 5PM, opening, and was seated with about half the restaurant. Server came out, took three tables and ran to the kitchen. Came out again, apologized to me for the wait, took three more orders and ran to the kitchen. Took the last table and me, went to the kitchen. I had my app within twelve minutes of sitting, delivered by my server. Food came out to all of the tables in an orderly fashion, I was ready to bolt after three courses and forty-five minutes. Server was at the table to take my tab before I could stand up. I congratulated him by telling him that The Flame had decided to fix their service problems by hiring professional waiters. They are back on my 'highly recommend'; be sure to get your half-off AGC coupons, restaurant.com deals, and all the comps you can gather. Atmosphere:so-so; food:top rate for the dollar.

17. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like all kinds of food, but those three words should NEVER be used together. *convulse*

18. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, I think my top recommendation would also be the Flame. The food at Triple George is quite good, but the atmosphere isn't quite right for a special occasion. Happy anniversary!

19. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't tried it yet but how about Oscars?

nice easy stumble to 777 afterwards!!

20. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I stated earlier, guess we all have different needs for "romantic" or anniversary occasions. A quiet, dark & solemn restaurant does not top my list of needs (it's not anywhere on it, to be honest), and Joe didn't really say what he wanted either, other than a good place to eat:peace:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.