1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown Farmer's Market

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Eldon, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldon

Eldon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Located in the old downtown bus terminal.
    Attended last Friday.
    Great location.
    Not much to see produce or foodwisw.
    Don't see how it can continue much longer.

2. gerry53

gerry53 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not understand a farmer`s market in las vegas.

does a farmer`s market not mean fresh locally grown produce?

what would be locally grown in the desert besides cactus?

3. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    more than likely "local" means from in state or in the southern counties of the state and since the Colorado River runs through part of that there is plenty of irrigated farms

there is also shrimp

http://www.lvrj.com/view/north-las-vegas-shrimp-farm-offers-locavores-fresh-seafood-126159208.html

Grapes in Pahrump (although those are mostly wine grapes) at least one winery had a long history of growing vitis labrusca (table grapes) and then trucking actual juice from the central valley (not illegal at all and commonly done all over the USA called "eye ball grapes") because people want to see the vines....and you can eat vinifera grapes you should just pick them sooner to have less sugars (and more complex flavors in hot climates) and to avoid "vintners tummy"

plenty of other things can be grown just about anywhere like poultry, goats (huge with the Mexican market that still wants a live goat for certain things), flowers, herbs, greenhouse crops, gourds, melons, and bees (honey)

http://nevadagrown.com/

if they struggle they will probably open it up to baked goods and other "home made" foods as well like many markets end up and do

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We lived about 2 blocks away from this place:
    http://www.thegilcreaseorchard.org

5. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can remember back in the 60's when living in CT, we sometimes went to a farmer's market that was daily, I think, like about 4am. As I recall this was where restaurants came to buy produce in bulk. We used to horseback ride and would pick up a sack of carrots, maybe 50 lbs for a few bucks.

Here in NH we have a couple of farmer's markets but prices are usually equal to and more likely higher than the supermarket prices. The benefits are to provide fresher products, additional markets to local farmers and help sustain local small farm operations which in the long run will benefit the public.

I suspect that the market at the old bus station is the same. It offers Nevada farmers a new market, helps support agriculture in NV, and offers customers not only fresher produce, but varieties not often found in supermarkets where varieties are more apt to be chosen for a long self life than good taste and nutrition. I doubt that it could supply the needs of all the hotels downtown and on the strip but can serve the population of the city, as well as what might be appealing to visitors who might be nearby. I hope they remain open.

Jimbo338

6. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to know I can see a few free range melons downtown.

7. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Royal, couldn't agree with you more. I too am a fan of fresh, firm, ripe melons.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.