1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's next on the "To Do" list

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by jmsvss, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmsvss

jmsvss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We make a 10 day pilgrimage every other year or so in lat Oct/ early Nov. We love the strip, light gambling, shows, exhibits, etc but find we need to get away and balance the abundance. We've been to Red Rock, VAlley of Fire, Grand Canyon, Pahrump Winery, Lake Mead, and Hoover Dam. What are our options. We will be there Nov 2-10 this year. Is hiking Mt Charleston doable that time of year? Other options?

2. bratkar

bratkar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about Zion or Death Valley?

We just returned and actually did two days in Zion, Bryce and Kanab Utah. Wasnt enough time, but decided that we will be spending two weeks out there next year.

We also made the drive up to Mt Charleston, they had gotten their first 'snow' the week after labor day, but it the temps were perfect and it was beautiful up there. I know Joe, will be able to answer on the weather conditions for the time your asking.

This December we are going to make a two day trip to get a taste of Death Valley. Like you we love Vegas, but need to get away from all the over the top of Vegas too.

Kelli

3. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to find a hike every visit regardless of the time of year, so I chose August to do a Mt. Charleston hike. It was 30 degrees cooler than the LV Valley. From the reading I did, some of the trails aren't even passable except during the summer months. I imagine you could find something doable at lower elevations, but to me anyway it doesn't sound like the kind of hiking to do in November.

Although you've been to Hoover Dam, have you hiked to Hoover Dam? Did that in early April recently, so early November would be similar conditions. There's a trail that consists partly of an old rail line that winds around Lake Mead and through tunnels. Different!

You could always do a day trip to Mesquite if you're a golfer. I don't golf anymore and I thought the place was a dud, but I might be the exception.

P.S. I'll be in town the same week as you, so if I come up with something unusual I'll let you know.

4. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

Bryce, Zion and Death Valley are the other biggies that you haven't done. Mt. Charleston may have snow by that date but you could do some hikes at the lower elevations-just check the weather before you go. Some other suggestions are, if youi really want to travel, are Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP's (may also have snow by then), Techatticup Mine, Mojave National Preserve, Arches and Canyonlands NP's and a myriad of other places.

5. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One other I would add that I am considering, Great Basin. I think it's about a four hour drive, so its an all day event, but it looks intriguing

I Need Spa
  6. riverrat44

riverrat44 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me tell you of a neat area that we love. Just past Red Rock Canyon (maybe 2 miles) you will come to a sign that directs you to a right turn into Blue Diamond. This is like a quiet oasis in the desert and a very neat area. The last few times we have been there, there have been wild burros grazing in the school yard and the village green. This is the quietest little community and the sheriff's office is in the village store. We love to get a coke and sit on the porch of the store and just enjoy the absolute stillness. It is also a nice stopover area for bicycle riders as they go back and forth to Red Rock Canyon.

7. jmsvss

jmsvss Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These are all great suggestions - thank you.

8. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I woundnt mind seeing ghost town Rhyolite.

9. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

UK, don't know when you plan to go to Great Basin but it is well worth the trip. However, it snows early there and lasts well into the spring. We were there in Oct. one year and there was already snow on the Mt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.