1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airfare Prices

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by blackjacknut, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Post your good airfares that you have managed to get or post your bad ones. What are you paying on average to get to the promise land? Have you over paid at the last minute just so you could go to Vegas?

2. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    99 nonstop each way bought during Southwest's anniversary sale in June, plus a 20 dollar MyCokeRewards discount covered the Early Bird, so 198 total woo-hoo! From SAT, that's one of the best prices you can find, and really the only nonstops are Southwest. If purchased now for the same flight, 170 each way. :nono: In April I got effectively the same price on United but that was stopping in Houston both ways.

USBC Nationals
  3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good is under 1000, great is under 900. I hate to pay over 1000 but have paid as much as 1200 before on short notice. One time they had a sale and i paid only 600 which was insane. This is for first class obviously. coach has gotten so bad I refuse to fly it over about 2 hours.

4. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best First Class that I can score now is on Delta out of CAK for $1142.00, flying through Atlanta. MD-88 out of CAK First Class, layover in Atlanta for 1.5 hours then hop on a 767-300 First Class to LAS. Return is 767-300 First Class to Atlanta, 1.5 hour layover, hop on an MD-88 to CAK.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best I've done lately is SWA Milwaukee to Las, non-stop for $250 ea next month.

Booked same flights for Dec and it's $321 ea.:cry:

Edit: Just checked the Dec flight prices and now it's up to $490 pp. $321 isn't looking so bad anymore.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  6. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember flying to Las Vegas in the mid-late 1980's and thinking a $200 fare (Kansas City) was not too bad. If I keep track of Southwest, I can still find a fare only slightly higher from Chicago Midway. Not too bad.

Somewhat related, anyone remember a promotion Kellogg's cereal and American ran for quite some time. On the back of boxes were 100 mile frequent flyer certificates. I bought tons of them from eBay at a fraction of the milage value and upgraded to first class on more than a couple of las vegas flights. People were buying pallets of the cereal at places like Costco, selling the certs and donating the cereal to food pantries (tax write-off).

7. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked about 8 weeks out first class on Delta from Florida - through Atlanta for 800. I thought it was a major bargain. Considering the how they nickle and time you for "better" coach seat, baggage, food, movies and all the booze I drink enroute I am saving a ton over the lowest the coach fare - not to mention the comfort on a long flight.

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stay away from the 767-300s. The 757s have 1-2" wider seats in first class. I love the 767-300ER or 400ER but they don't fly those ATL to LAS. When I'm on the 767-300 I feel like I'm sitting in coach.

9. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not proud of this, but I just paid $690 to fly from Houston to LAS a week in advance. :( After reading so many great things about Wicked on this board, I contacted my Aria host to see if we could go. So, leaving on Wednesday night, seeing Wicked on Friday night and flying back Saturday afternoon. And, that is economy plus on United.....I could have upgraded to first class for another $600....... I chose flights with lots of empty first class seats, so am hoping for an upgrade for free given I'm gold on United.

10. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night my dh pulled a "lets go to Vegas the week before xmas" on me. They stop the nonstops in the winter around here on SW to LAS...so SW is running 500+ pp and that is with crappy layovers and times. Alternative right now is United have to stop in Newark or Ohare, red eye coming home (never done a red eye, doesn't sound appealing to me) but it is less than $600 for the both of us. Yes, I know we have to pay for luggage...but for the cost savings we are considering it. A month ago or so SW had some great sales. Now their prices are through the roof...Oct $650 for 1 for a nonstop rt. First class sounds great but we are TOO cheap to pay that kind of money. We don't fly often so no status here.

11. MNVegasgal

MNVegasgal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next Trip (4 weeks from today) was $495 for both tickets Direct from MSP on Delta. We used our annual American Express $99 companion voucher. Paid over $500 a seat last March.. and watched flights for 2 months before we booked as we thought they would go down .. HA HA. Lowest ever paid is $250 a seat and most was $550 a seat. Have been lucky to be bumped to first class a few times due to husbands status on Delta.. but they way they are over booking flights on Delta.. that is not as likely to happen in the future. Always get Exit Row which works out great.

12. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like I"m flying coach on the MD-88 also, I think they are even narrower than the 767-300's. I also like the 757's I can that plane to if I leave 1 hour later.

13. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a ticket in hand for next month from San Antonio R/T for 192.86. Both are non-stop. Got it back in June for October....that is a long time to wait. Looking at Superbowl visitation....from DALLAS (2.5 hour drive) (where there is never a non-stop) 109 $ each way....getting in on Sunday at 10:30 a.m. (game isn't until 3:30 or so) and leaving Friday at 10:30ish....waiting on a friend to return (left today) using the Love Field airport and parking....only thing is weather in Dallas in February....
    love hunting those low fares.....

14. bratkar

bratkar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best price I ever got was at the end of 2008 when southwest had a sale and got tickets for 75 round trip from Cleveland for Feb 2009.... (our first trip) and our most expensive was 480 this past May on a trip we had to cancel, so we've been able to use that credit towards two trips out of Akron this year.

I miss the days of 198 round trips!

Kelli

15. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always fly Southwest non-stop out of St. Louis. We go next month using tickets bought last June ~ $244.00 rt per person. Not bad considering the prices I've seen since. Every time I checked, the price was a lot higher. The few times we've taken a "last minute" trip were due to a very low airfare special. That hasn't happened for quite a while.

16. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $121 each way from BOS for next Feb. Stops in BWI on the way out and MDW on the way back. Paid with points, but that would be the cheapest RT ever.

The flight out leaves later than I really want, so I'll probably switch it to the Jet Blue morning non-stop if I can get it for $180 or less. If so, then the RT will be $336 including baggage, which is still pretty good.

17. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I purchased my January trip tickets in september when SWA extended their reservations. I waited about a week and the price dropped. For the last couple of years prices have not come down substantially from their initial offering. I paid $181. each way. The leg going out New Hampshire to LV dropped twice and I rebooked for a credit making my trip cost RT now at $295. plus EBCI. I think my cheapest trip was back in 2008 too for about $191. RT. The last several have been around $300-325.

This past February I took a last minute package from Southwest to save my sanity and get away. Flight RT and 4 nights at Gold Spike was $525 but stinky flight times and connections.

Jimbo338

18. g-didi

g-didi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a similar booking. I booked Detroit-Las Vegas direct for $129 each way on Southwest and a week later it dropped to $110 - so I have a credit I will need to use up! To me this is an absolute steal. I have paid to fly out of Canada - $700 pp (lets just say US airfares are one of the best deals going for us Canadians). I have paid as much as $400 each out of Detroit. This Southwest nonstop is a new addition to the schedule so lets hope its successful!

I am usually price conscious so look for the best deal, but have raised my standards of late - NO MORE Spirit Airlines for me. That whole bag fee thing just adds the equivalent of another airfare to my bill (and I dont even check a bag!) and on principal I dont want to support this insanity. I also prefer the nonstop flights - so weigh up the price vs route vs time etc.

At $219.40 roundtrip I am pretty :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

19. magic_man12

magic_man12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also from Ontario (Toronto) - I have flown from Buffalo before for a bit cheaper, but not cheap enough to be worth it I'm finding....
    Detroit is 4 hours away, so I wouldn't want to add 4 hours to my commute before and after a flight.
    I'll never take connecting flights anymore either. Last November, spend 10 hours in Denver (missed connection), and instead of getting to vegas at 11am, was there at 11pm or so.....

Average around $600 from Toronto both ways. (can be worse at times... can be better)
    Best I've done - $392 (but that was with connections).

20. redsoxmom5

redsoxmom5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been lucky to snag a flight from OMA to LAS for $250. The norm has been about $350

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.