1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Double Booking Comped Rooms?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by north east j, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi all,

I will be down to Vegas in a few weeks...and trying to maximize my free play. Am already booked at 2 separate places that have given me 2 free nights each -1 has $50 FP, one has zero.

Anyways, I also have a mailer for 4 free nights and $70 FP and $40 F&B. I have never double booked but am considering it to clean up all my offers.

Have you ever done this? If so, is it worth it? Is there any 'consequences to doing this if they find out you are not using the room/

Maybe a little paranoid about it...maybe I am a bit of a goody two shoes...ha!

Any input would be appreciated!

2. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's common -- although not necessarily for the amounts you're talking about, as it does take work (and maybe cabs, if the properties aren't close.) The question is, are you going to play at both? If not, do you want to kill off all future offers from one property?

I prefer to save double booking for when I actually need the second room for something...like a friend in town who doesn't have comps. If you're going to kill your offers, do it for something good.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    probably not worth a no-play trip and the likely reduced future comps for fifty bucks.

4. LuckyDuckyDan

LuckyDuckyDan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even without free play or FB credits, I like to have a base downtown and a base on the strip, when possible. I like being able to crash drunk as a skunk wherever I happen to fall. :beer:

In doing some switch-a-roo of my reservations, I have comps at either IP/Rio on the strip and Main Street AND the Plaza downtown. I'm not going to be giving the Plaza any more gaming business and don't expect to see any more comp rooms from them in the future. So the question is - do I just cancel the reservation? Or do I hook somebody up?

I actually just posted in the Plaza thread that if anyone wanted a free room from Oct 14-18, to let me know. Just don't make me regret doing something nice!

5. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've double booked a few times. The last trip I made I had originally booked a hotel/airfare package with a stay at Bally's, but I really wanted to spend my time downtown. I have been playing just enough at Binions/Four Queens to get my room there comped for the two nights, so I checked into Bally's, checked out the view from the room, stuck the do not disturb sign on the door, then headed downtown. Bally's did seem to suggest that they would penalize me if I checked out early, so I checked out of the Four Queens at 1am on my last night and returned to Bally's, slept, checked out, and headed to the airport in the morning. No problem!

Just make sure to get in your usual level of play at any places you are comped and you should be fine.

6. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WHAT?!?!?!?

DOUBLE BOOK?!?!?!?

....for shame.....:nono::nono::nono::nono:

:wink2:

7. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you really like staying in two places, then this makes sense -- it's all about what is of value to you.

8. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two initial thoughts:

1) Can you actually use all these offers at the same time.
    You have two booked already and now you have a third offer, but is that at one of the same resorts as the first two properties? If it is (IE: if you are staying at Flamingo for 2 nights and then Monte Carlo for 2 nights and this four night offer is for Luxor) you likely will be unable to book all three offers at once.
    So you would really need all three offers to come from three different resort families.

2) Are there resort fees? Other costs involved?
    If you have to pay $20, $30 or $40 in resort fees just to get $50 in free play thats not a deal and more just a waste of time.
    For other costs you have to think about things like getting there and back: if you need to shell out $25-30 for round trip cab fare there and back just to get a small token of free play, its again not worth it.

Beyond that, you have probably read reports and posts about people who have double booked to take advantage of free play offers... the thing is that most of them do it for amounts much larger than $50.

The biggest issue is just time and inconvenience: you arrive in Vegas, check in to your hotel, drop your luggage off up in the room, maybe want to rest and relax and start your vacation... but no, you need to go to this other hotel, stand around in their check in line, get checked in, then go stand in line to get your free play.

All that hassle is maybe worth it for three or four hundred dollars or more in extra freeplay... but not for $50.

I'm not saying don't double book, I've done it myself for a bunch of free play and food credit ($250FP+$125F&B), but just that if you look at the bigger picture you are putting a lot extra on your plate, when you are supposed to be on vacation, for just $50.

9. Pinny Long

Pinny Long VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it were just for getting extra Freeplay or dining credit I probably wouldn't bother with the hassle unless it was like $200+ or something. But I've done double-bookings before when I wanted to give a friend somewhere to stay.

I did a triple book using comps last April so that I could set some friends up. My host comped me a room at Tropicana and I use offers for rooms at Bally and Monte Carlo for two of my friends.

But yeah, like someone else said, if you want to keep getting the offers, using them just to get a free buffet or $50 of slot play and not putting any coin back in . . . . you'll see the mailers dry up pretty fast. Personally I'd rather keep getting the mailers so I have more options whenever I want to head out again.

10. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    can you share the hotels you are talking about?

And, not sure what you mean by "cleaning up your offers".

In any event, I would not do it unless you are getting something of value - need room, freeplay, food, etc.

11. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did it a few weeks ago at the Bellagio and Flamingo. I was booked at the Bellagio and then got an offer from the Flamingo for 2 nights and $550 free play. In taking the offer though, I did make the commitment (to myself) to play enough at both places to justify the comps. It kind of took the fun out of it - felt more like work than fun.

I am rather paranoid, so I did mess up the bed each day and leave some stuff in the room so they wouldn't know :)

12. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never double booked, but have always thought it would be a pain in the butt, having to check into two properties. And for what? $50.00, not worth it as others have said. Plus I have always looked at like trying to scam the system.

13. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good points, everyone...just as points of info I am down for work and did not expect this trip at all. SO...the budget reflects that.

Trying to squeeze every free play I can I suppose....

Also - I have a rental car so moving around is not a biggie and I don't plan on ever staying at the place I would hypothetically double book ever again. Wife has banned it.....

14. north east j

north east j Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a $10/night resort fee.....good points!

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:

For $50, I would not bother. We were in a nice Bellagio comp once and CET offered some show tickets,so we booked them. Yea, we checked in, but never used room.

Another time we got room, for ONE reason. To charge meal at Mon Ami to room and then use points. Learned later you could go to TR counter and get voucher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.