1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airlines Installing Thinner Seats

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DOUBLE B, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Direct from todays local newspaper. United Airlines plans to install slimmer seats next year on some of its planes, enabling the airline to squeeze in more passengers.

Alaska Airlines and Southwest Airlines this year seperately announced plans to install slimmer, lighter seats to increase passenger capacity. Spirit Airlines has seats that are not only thinner but also non-adjustable, allowing the airlines to fit up to 33 more passengers per plane.

So all you obese-overweight (Uh! Sorry! People of size) better get with the diet you have been talking about for years. If not you may get "squeezed out"! Get it? Squeezed Out!!!!!!!

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta already did this on all their remodels. however, slimmer and lighter doesn't mean smaller, it means that the actual seat is thinner. so they can keep the size the same and still fit more rows per plane. also lighter means they save on fuel so costs go down. there's really no change to the amount of room that you have. you're still just a crunched as you've always been. :thumbsup:

3. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bingo. The media twist on things (far beyond the scope of airline seats) really irks me. SWA is doing the same thing. Lighter seats save fuel and thinner seats increase revenue. Simple business practice. It all makes perfect sense. It sucks that the new seats may not be as comfortable, but the previous editions didn't exactly impress!

Nick:beer:

4. Dark_Mark

Dark_Mark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well I cant blame them! I am a very big guy, all my life, and started my "lifestyle" change and actually just hit 40lbs lost today. I was confronted about the size thing and having to buy 2 tickets on a future flight. many things lead to me getting it done! including being able to fly more freely to vegas!!!:drunk:

5. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats and good for you Dark Mark. Keep your head up and reach your goal.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I've already been on one of the redesigned Southwest planes and the new design seats are actually more comfortable for a "large" person than the old ones... the arm rests are slighty higher than the old ones. Now my butt doesn't keep pressing on the recline button throughout the flight!!!

7. Bernie2

Bernie2 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sounds like less cushy for the tushy !

8. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So it sounds promising for those with a carry on while checking all your bags...:thumbsup:

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is different than the "thinner" seats but I notice that with the new hawaiian airline airbus seats, the seat cushions are incredibly thin. My butt get sore after a couple of hours (hmm, maybe I have a bony butt!, lol). I usually end up sitting on the pillow or blanket for more cushion but with them charging $8 for pillows and blankets I will have to bring my own on future trips.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hey, congrats mark on losing weight. what are you using to lose the weight? I did a google search and many sites are saying that avesil is supposed to make you feel fuller so you don't eat as much. I was checking on that tv product (sensa) but many sites say that avesil is better to take.

I need to lose about 25 or 30 lbs too. even though I use weights and so are bulky I still want to lose weight so I look more refined (hopefully the potbelly stomach will go away too, lol).

11. azhockeyfan

azhockeyfan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats!!

I am also on a life change path towards being healthy. Never felt better in my life.

12. Dark_Mark

Dark_Mark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you guys for the great words! I didnt want to change the topic of the thread but when I had the issue of the buying two seats, it hit that breaking point. It was the best thing that could of happened. I am lucky I live in Arizona and its a short drive to my happy place (vegas, duh) and just to answer the people wondering 3daydiet.com I do it every week and it has changed my life. I am 6'4 and PEAKED at 437. I am now at 397. I want to go to at the highest 300. I want to be able to fly to vegas when ever I want when I see those 39$ air fares!!

13. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    D K--keep your eyes on the goal....and don't stop till you reach it.

14. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been on one of the refitted SW planes, and if anything, there seemed to be even more leg room than before. Was in a window seat and never felt uncomfortable or cramped, and I'm 6 feet tall and athletically built.

15. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just returned from Vegas via the new SWA planes and the seats are definitely smaller (narrower) and from arm rest to arm rest.....several passengers also made that comment.

16. domeboy

domeboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am 6'4, and I definitely dont have enough leg room on a flight unless I get one of those economy plus seats with the extra leg room. One thing I do to help is to take all the magazines out of the seat pocket in front of me and put them in another seat pocket before someone sits in the seat. 2 inches or so of leg room is heaven for a guy 6'4.

Also, sometimes the economy plus seats backfire because quite a few big/tall people get them. Whats worse, being stuck in standard economy with a couple average size people or three across with big and/or tall people.

17. Eldon

Eldon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I, too, frequently complain about the cost, hassle and inconvenience of air travel.

On very rare occasions I think back to those hardy one-way travelers of the Oregon Trail back in the 1850's.

Six months in transit, cost about $400 apiece (not adjusted for inflation), most walked the entire distance from the Missouri River to the Pacific Coast and, in any large group, several deaths along the way.

Make TSA and baggage fees a little easier to bear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.