1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

1st solo trip - call it therapy. Semi-live. 1st TR.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Hoowaa, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoowaa

Hoowaa Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Background:

I'm 42. Married, 2 daughters. I work hard and play hard. My summer was planned for sometime and was full of time off with R&R with my family at a cottage and traveling out west to BC. That all changed when my father fell Ill with me spending the last 5 weeks with him at the hospital til he passed away. The summer of 2012 was not what it was planned to be. I will miss my dad forever - just a fact, not looking for sympathy.

Upon my return, my heart and head were/are not into normal day to day work or much else. Having been away from work for so long an escape of any length of time was out of the question.

Where to go to help heal and get some time to reflect and to just live life to the fullest but with time constraints.

Vegas.

I reviewed 5 weeks of mail and email to see if anything was available. Sept 6-9 yielded what I was interested in. A slot tournament - my 1st, something i've been wanting try since i started getting offers 2 short years ago. Perfect. Huh Minimum $500 just for showing up ?!? More perfect.

I'm going alone for my 1st time. Staying at Mandalay Bay for my third time. The offer is generous for me, Host offered a suite, the tournament, $150 FB daily and a limo t/f the airport.

Plans ? None, save for a meal or two at Craftsteak, smoking some cigars, gambling 10 plus hours per day and meeting others escaping normal life. I may end up at a lounge/bar for drinks and live music - my other main vices.

I will wander the strip, probably put on 4-5 miles daily as well. Sleep will be minimal.

I arrive on Thursday afternoon and if anyone is in Vegas and near MB and up for a cocktai/rum and a cigar, PM me.

I'll do my best to post any big wins and keep you posted on the slot tourney outcome as it happens - not sure if will be entertaining for others or not - that remains to be seen.....

Indulge me and forgive the quality of a virgin TR. It's therapy.

2. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a great time. I'm looking forward to reading your TR about the live music and lounges!

3. Sam in Ut

Sam in Ut High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First, I feel your pain for the loss of your dad. I recently lost my mom and still trying to cope. Please go to our "get away" Mecca and have a blast!
    Good luck at the tournament, hope you win the whole dam thing! Try giving us some heads up on how hoy did.

4. jugdish76

jugdish76 Low-Roller

Go to a strip club, dude. You'll enjoy it.

5. sam_marques

sam_marques Vegas Vlogs Youtube / TeamClareVlogs

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope you have a awesome time, and look forward to the updates:beer:

6. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Win big And have fun:beer:

7. Dpin300

Dpin300 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who says it's a dude ;-) just kidding

@Hoowaa Good luck and hope all goes well for you

8. Hoowaa

Hoowaa Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All man here. :wink2:

Correction on the only concrete plan outside of the slot tourney I have, which is where to eat: Stripsteak at MB - not Craftsteak.

Will be eating solo the entire trip in all likelihood - that's the only part of the solo trip that gives me pause. I plan on eating at the bar with others that I will assume are solo and looking to shoot the breeze. No clue if that will be successful or not. :eek:

I am driving from Winnipeg (2 hours) then flying direct out of Grand Forks on Allegiant due to several factors:
    • Way more attractive itinerary than domestic (arrive early afternoon Thursday).
    • $250 return vs $ 550 return on a domestic carrier.
    • Clearing customs at the border rather than in Vegas which has been historically way quicker if planes arriving from overseas and Latin America have landed.

In 24 hours from now I will be picking up cigars at the border and a bottle of rum.

I like to hit the slots after leaving my room with a drink already in hand, rather than rubbernecking the 1st while looking/waiting for a CW to show - that stresses me out unnecessarily . :beer:

Favorite beverage: Dark n Stormy (Goslings Black Rum and Ginger Beer).

Thanks for the well wishes everyone !

9. btodd

btodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As one Winnipeger to another, have a great trip, forget all your worries, have fun and report back!!
    Looking forward to the rest of the report!!

10. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have made dozens of solo trips. I have no trouble eating alone in a restaurant (except I usually can't use a coupon or split a meal). As a craps player I find it pretty easy to strike up a conversation with the dealers, but the best part is doing what you want to do when you want to do it. A little lonely, perhaps, but a lot of freedom to go around in this town.

11. jugdish76

jugdish76 Low-Roller

Agreed. I've taken three solo trips now, and the only drawback is mealtime. For the most part, I hit up buffets and bars, places where there isn't the usual conversation after you order and before the food arrives.

I don't find meals a good time to mix it up with others. But there's plenty of time to do so at the tables, in the sports book and at the bar.

That said, I almost prefer the solo trips to trips with others. There's no one to try to pull you away from what you want to do.

My first solo trip was nearly two years ago. I think I've been back four times since, and two of them were solo as well.

12. bratkar

bratkar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry for the loss of your father. We just lost my Father in Law in June, we are on our way to Vegas the end of May (literally) on the plane to leave when we got the call. Our Summer changed completely after that too. We are just now getting back to a 'new' normal and headed to the "promise land" tomorrow morning.
    Enjoy your time and weekend away.... Even though we go as a couple, we always sit at the bars at most restaurants because we love meeting new people and chatting. Weve been married 19 years and not that we have nothing to say to each other, but its just fun to talk to new people. We've met a lot of great people everywhere we've done that!
    Hope you do well in the slot tourney! Hope you do well!!!!!!
    My father in law loved Vegas and loved to gamble, so we are taking a great honor in going and having a good time in his name!
    Its the best therapy around!!!

Kelli

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're going to try this anywhere, Vegas is the perfect place. Solo diners are commonplace, so you won't get that "whole place is looking at me and judging me" feeling.

14. mdk63

mdk63 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect Therapy

I'm a fan of "Therapy" trips. Eating alone is never a problem. You can yack it up at a bar, feast alone, or just grab something on the go and never feel bad about it.

Since you're alone you can do one of my favorite things and choose a profession and "life situation" and tell huge stories. Just pick something you're familiar with! Now some wouldn't find that entertaining or tasteful; but I find it helps my bluffing game at poker.

15. craps1

craps1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On dining alone...has anyone felt the urge to bring in the paper with them or have it on their Ipad? I haven't dined alone in awhile on a trip, but if I did, why not simply bring the paper or Ipad? Not a bad way to kill the time waiting for the meal.

16. pokerbucketlist

pokerbucketlist Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow man, I'm in the same situation... i cant believe i found your trip report.

I've spent all summer working hard and at the start of the busy summer season I found out my mom has terminal cancer...

anyway, i've decided to plan a trip to vegas by myself for November. My first ever time travelling alone. This will be a poker/gambling/exploring and drinking trip.

I would love to hear how you made out and any recommendations you have, especially for places to eat at the bar, and any cool clubs you went to.

J

17. LaRae

LaRae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very sorry for your loss. Hope you have a fun time. Who cares if you eat alone or not...odds are you'll never see these same people again. Do what you want, eat where you want. Enjoy!! :beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.