1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Has anyone here "tweeted" for a cab to skip the McCarran cab line?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by wishman35, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I caught the below articles, sent the guy a tweet and he responded with his phone number, the cab number he would have and to let him know when I land and again when bags are picked up and I guess off you go. I dont know whether to be skeptical or not..skipping that cab line sounds damn nice though..

http://twitter.com/HackingVegas

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2012/5/18/124930/786/vegas-travel/Tweet+A+Cab+To+Meet+You+At+McCarran+Before+You+Even+Get+There

http://www.urbandaddy.com/lv/entertainment/18386/_HackingVegas_A_Discreet_Fleet_of_Vegas_Cabbies_Las_Vegas_LV_Service

2. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a friend that is a cab driver in Vegas he picks me up whenever he is working at the private cab area so I doubt it would be a problem you would just have to go to the private cab lines

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't... and nor would I.

In May 2007 that was the absolute worst I have ever seen the taxi line when I arrived in Las Vegas: all paths in the line were fully opened, full of people and the line went all the way out and past the main doors to the taxi line at baggage claim.

All that said, it only took us 10-15 minutes to get through the line with the only issue really being that it was a lot of walking... all the way down, all the way back, all the way down... etc

We have had 11 trips since then and for every one of them I would say there was less than 20 people ahead of us in the cab line and the total time in line plus wait for cab was less than 5 minutes each time.

A service like this might be handy if you are arriving on the same day that a big convention is arriving or in the afternoon on the Friday for a big weekend (IE: halloween, superbowl, new years eve, etc)... but even then thats a "might be handy" because the cab companies know when its going to be a busy arrival day at the airport or when a big concert/show/event is letting out at a hotel or when a big convention ends for the day and they dispatch extra cabs for that.

And in reading the article it actually sounds like this might just be one cab driver or company basically trying to build their own private cab line at the airport and circumvent normal taxi procedure and protocol (though the article makes it sound like its mainly one driver, I suspect through the indirect wording that its actually a company)

4. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yep - got in late at night and got a cabbie to pick me up - but its one that I'd followed for years with his blog etc.
    got bags, arranged the pickup right outside the doors, skipped the 40 minute cab line and got downtown in record time.. and no tunnel..

$25 from the airport - he got a good tip!

I'd recommend that you don't just do it at random - set it up first..

5. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Iv not used his service but I do follow and interact with him and several others on Twitter. I have a list of drivers I will use when I make the trip west again and he is top of my list. Its not a company but one driver working to build clients and to show not all cabbies are crooks, he will always take you the cheapest way unless you specify differently.

6. Hacking Vegas

Hacking Vegas Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being the driver those and a few other articles are about I can promise I'm not a scam or a company. Much like @LVCabChronicles*which I believe is who Mikenhe is talking about I'm just a driver who has teamed up with other honest drivers to help provide a service to make your stay even better.

Hopefully I'll see you next week and you can come back and have the ability to change Auggie's mind on this. Feel free to check out my blog which hasn't been updated in a while to read more about me. Just google my user name.

I'd also like to invite any of you to ask me anything about this awesome city and fill you in on anything.

7. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It really does seem like a great idea. I just had to throw it out to board of experts here to see if anyone had done anything like this. This place is on top of each and every Vegas update. All of us being Vegas crazed.

8. Hacking Vegas

Hacking Vegas Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't blame you at all. Hope some of these guys can be turned to the darkside of personal VIP airport pickups

9. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yep - spot on - that is who I used. nice guy.

Plus we had a nice chat about his appearance on top gear!

10. winner

winner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how do you contact these guys i don't tweet or facebook i need a cab at the airport tomorrow afternoon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.