1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Houston to Las Vegas R/T on Spirit under $60.00!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by squidward, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squidward

squidward Probationary Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just saw that Spirit added Houston to Las Vegas non-stops. Checked their rates and the cost midweek for airfare was free? You are paying for the taxes only? Of course they will charge for bags, seating, etc.

These flights are the red-eye variety, the base airfare was 58.10 round trip! These prices were available from early September through the end of the year.

Don't know how long this will last, act fast!

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, figure out how much it will actually cost out the door with all their fees and then you can compare apples to apples.

3. jackpot22

jackpot22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope you are a small person because their seats are very small.

4. squidward

squidward Probationary Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have seen several posts from fellow Texans complaining about high airfare costs, so I thought this might be helpful. I am fully aware of the additional fees and travelling conditions associated with Spirit. This is a promotion for the recently announced direct flights between Houston and Las Vegas.

Examples (September thorough December):

Spirit R/T w/1 checked bag each way, no seating preference = $114.10
    SWA R/T checked bags free = $366.10 to $412.10

I'm not a small person by any means, but I can put up being cramped for a few hours at this price.

I just booked my January CES trip even without the "free" airfare for $232.08 (Round trip with 1 checked bag each way.)

Flight $109.48
    Bags $56.00
    Unintended Consequences of DOT Regulations (Carrier Fee) $4.00
    Passenger Usage Fee (Carrier Fee) $33.98
    September 11th Security Fee $5.00
    Passenger Facility Fee $7.50
    Segment Fee $7.60
    US Transportation Tax $8.52
    Total $232.08

Red-eye's both ways and I will have to "squeeze" but this is the lowest price I have seen in along time!

Apples to Apples this is a significant discount compared to SWA, United, or Frontier in the Houston market at this time.

So there :Þ

5. LuckyDuckyDan

LuckyDuckyDan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fee Schedule

Still, this sounds ripe for a junket to Vegas. Nothing but the clothes on your back. Travel by cab to the strip. Rock it for 18-24 hours and head back home. Later in Nov/Dec, there seem to be a few weekends where I can fly out at 22:30 on Friday and return at 01:00 on Sunday. That's almost exactly 24-hours on the ground.. 21 of them usable. If you can hit that with a good amount of sleep during the day on Friday, you wouldn't need a hotel room. Just rock it for a day and crash on the plane ride home.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  6. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

The key to travelling with Southwest is to catch one of their frequent sales. I went round trip earlier this month for $206 (all taxes and fees included), in February for $137, and in November for $240.

In total I have made 5 trips in the last year and a quarter, and the most expensive was $260.

7. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you're flying a red-eye, maybe the plane won't be as full? I haven't flown red-eye before on any carrier, so I really have no basis for making a claim, but I would guess that a red-eye flight wouldn't be a full flight typically. So maybe you will get the opportunity to at least have an open seat next to you?

8. shiny

shiny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Greetings to Squidward from Houston! Just FYI --- here are some negative reviews posted by travelers who had bad experiences with Spirit. In addition to hidden fees, their flight tends to get delayed or even cancelled. :eek:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-airlines-las-vegas

By the way, there are 20 traveler photos at Yelp site. Please view this one titled "No leg room for 5'0" tall people"!
    http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/dWFUKB_HPBIE87AFBHEb_w?select=zP72kcRE2k6BvQemv_ITcA#xibQ2bofxdTtMAtsHR7QrA

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  9. shiny

shiny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree. A couple months ago, Southwest popped up the special sale for non-stop flights between HOU and LAS. I immediately jumped on it and booked two trips to Vegas. R/T airfare is only $196.10 including tax and everything (what a steal)! I am going to Vegas again in September and October.

I personally prefer to flying in and out HOB (instead of IAH). Southwest is usually on time and I get A boarding pass most the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.