1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

E cigarettes

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. KnotGillty

KnotGillty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been using electronic cigarettes since January of this year. I Smoked Marlboros for decades and it has been an easy transition. Some of the benefits I've seen have been that I sleep better, the wife says I rarely snore anymore, I actually have lung capacity again and can walk on the treadmill for miles, circulation is much better, I don't smell like cigarettes, kissing the non-smoking wife is fun again, alergies are all but gone, sex life is better than ever, no more smokers cough or phlem in the throat, I vape (use my ecig) in the house because there is no lingering smell (used to smoke marlboros outside), and my sense of smell & taste are out of this world. I've been to Vegas twice since I transitioned to electonic cigs, and even the excessive consumption of alcohol didn't make me want to go back to the old routine.

Most new users will start with the cigarette sized electronic cigarettes, the kind you might see at the mall. While these may start you on the path to e-cigarettes, their battery life is terrible and many users go back to using traditional cigarettes because nothing is worse than running out of battery power when you get the craving. This will only lead to buying a pack of smokes to satisfy the urge. One can buy larger devices (think the size of a small cigar) that will last more than 24 hours before needing to be recharged via PC or wall outlet. Most long term users use the larger batteries, not the cigarette sized ones that only last an hour or two.

If you want more info on the topic, do a google search for 'e-cigarette forum'. It's got hundreds of thousands of users and is the best source of info you'll find anywhere on the web.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  3. JuliaNPete

JuliaNPete Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    testifying

We haven't used tobacco for over 3 years thanks to these handy devices.
    They've saved our lives & tons of money--and many of our friends & family.

4. KnotGillty

KnotGillty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear you on the money thing. I'm under $2 per day. Cigarettes here are more than 3x that for a pack

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I switched about 2 yrs ago in January. I still smoke real cigs in Vegas, but I'm not sure why anymore. I just switched to an Ego and I love it. I use the clearomizers and can go almost all day on one battery and fill. I haven't done the math, but I'm sure that's much less than $2 a day.

6. KnotGillty

KnotGillty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the regular Ego's for awhile. About a month ago, I picked up a several Ego Twists (variable voltage) and am loving how different voltages enhance the flavors of different juices. I like the clearomizers too. The only downside for me is if you lay the clearomizer on its side for too long you get some flooding in the atomizer cup.

7. LTA

LTA Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been using an e-cig for about 1 1/12 years now. Used to be a 2 pack a day smoker, and switching to the e-cig was pretty painless.

I use and love the Ego-T.

8. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used it off and on for a couple of years also. I use the firelight simply because of price. I have had a lot of trouble with atomizers with every brand I have tried, which is why I now just use this cheap one, and have a spare on hand. I really like the one in a box shaped like a cigarette pack. It has a flip top, and prongs that come out so you can plug it in. Battery life has never been an issue for me.

For you people that use an Ego, do you have trouble with the atomizer going bad? I might have to give it a try. Where do you buy yours?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  9. Scahom1

Scahom1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be off the Marlboro's for 2 years this October.

I LOVE my e-cig.

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I started off with the Blu because of the cigarette size, but constantly recharging batteries got old. :)

I've thought about getting an Ego Twist when I need a new battery. or the 1100. Not sure.

I started with the tank system for the Ego, but it was too leaky for me. Maybe it was operator error, but I couldn't ever get a good vape off them. Then I bought a bunch of clearomizers and haven't had problems. Like KnotGuilty said, they have a tendency to flood the atomizer if you leave them laying on their side for a long time. I find that if I'm super careful about making a tight seal with the mouth piece, I'm less likely to get any leaking.

I have bought from a few places. I like Mad Vapes for their liquids, so I get a lot of things there, but it's not the only option. You can find too much info at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ I found it really overwhelming at first. Lots of talk about volts and ohms that made my eyes bleed, but once you get the hang of it, it starts to make sense.

Speaking of Mad Vapes, I just got a new bottle of their raspberry lemonade. Mmmmm.....

11. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Sonya,
    So I would buy an Ego starter kit, and then Clearomizers to put on it? I did check out that forum in the past, and had the same reaction you did. Too much info that didnt really interest me. I just want something that works, dont care about how. I will try again.

Wade

12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand completely. Seriously if you just want something to start with....

Get yourself a couple of batteries like these - http://www.madvapes.com/black-ego-battery-900-mah-3433.html
    Get a charger for those batteries like this one - http://www.madvapes.com/510-usb-charger.html
    Get a couple Clearomizers like these (pick your favorite. I get different colors for different flavors) - http://www.madvapes.com/vision-ego-clearomizer-25-29-ohm-purple.html
    And a couple bottles of the liquid. I like the US made kind - http://www.madvapes.com/e-liquid/topvapor-e-liquid.html

When I started, I bought a selection of 5ml bottles that sounded good. Some were, some were not. Waffle, how could you be so gross?! :) Once I knew what flavors I liked, I experimented with the strengths. I change my mind about whether I prefer 18mg or 24mg. Sometimes the 24mg can make me light headed if I vape too much. Depends on how heavy a smoker you are.

Once you know the flavors and strength, you can buy bigger bottles. The only problem I have with the carts is that they can be difficult to fill. You can't get any liquid inside the atomizer. You have to tilt it to the side and slowly let it drip down the side. I know some people buy the needle tips for easier filling, but I didn't bother.

They say there's a new version of the clearomizer coming out that has a removable atomizer that makes it easier to fill and you can replace wicks and atomizers. I'm going to try them eventually, but right now I hate to fix what is working for me.

Hope that helped.

13. KnotGillty

KnotGillty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, I'm a member there. Best info on the web in regards to ecigarette information.

And I agree, the info out there is overwhelming for a new user. Too much terminology to memorize.

Whatever you guys buy, you want a battery with a 510 connection. It's the industry standard and allows the most options. A 510 connection simply refers to the threading. And by far, a 510 threading gives you the most possibilities to attach different components to your e-cig battery (cartomizers, clearomizers, atomizers, and so on). Ego batteries, among others, come with the 510 connection.

Like Sonya said, once you get some batteries & a charger, then all that is left to decide is what you want to attach to the battery to get a good vape. Cartomizers are by far the easiest in regards to maintenance. A single coil cartomizer works better with an Ego style battery than a dual coil cartomizer. Also, a low resistance cartomizer works better with an Ego battery than a standard or high resistance cartomizer. The downside for most cartomizer users is that you have to refill a standard cartomizer with e-liquid often (for me 5 or more times a day). However, some companies are making larger cartomizers that once filled, will last a day or more before needing to be refilled. My favorite XL single coil cartomizer is called a 'SmokTech Ego B' cartomizer. It holds 3ml of liquid, which is more than 60 drops of e-liquid, which lasts most of the day if not longer. It's the next to last option at the bottom of this link (2ohm is a better option than a 3ohm for an Ego battery): http://www.liberty-flights.com/product.asp?id=95

A Clearomizer is like a cartomizer, except that is has no cotton filling on the inside. Plus, because it's clear, you can see how much e-liquid is inside, allowing for easy refills. Clearomizers last longer than Cartomizers and can be cleaned when the drag gets tight to take a puff. I prefer the Vision 510 clearomizers in the 2.5 ml size. Something like this: http://www.liberty-flights.com/product.asp?id=141

And Sonya, my favorite juices are from Ms. T's Bakery. She has her own vendor section on 'ECF'. I have found numerous all day vapes from Ms. T. Highly recommended are Strawberry Shortcake, Strawberry Gum, French Vanilla Capuccinno, Sugar Cookie, Strawberry Pancakes, and Vanilla Caramel Mocha. Her juices are a little more expensive than others, and take about 10 days from order to mailbox, but if you can plan ahead, the cost & wait is worth the effort. http://www.mstsbakery.com/

Sonya, you can't go wrong with an Ego Twist. Once you get one you'll never go back to a regular ego battery. A Twist allows you to adjust the voltage, which enhances whatever liquid you are vaping. E-liquids such as fruit flavors require a lower voltage, while bolder flavors such as coffee require a higher voltage to hit the sweet spot (producing maximum vapor & flavor). I'm using one right now as I blow smoke rings at my PC monitor :)

Whatever you guys decide, best of luck on getting off of regular cigarettes and embracing the vaping possibilities of e-cigarrettes.

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the links. I haven't found a strawberry I like yet so maybe I'll try one of those from Ms T's.

15. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the info. When I was using my Firelight, I only went through about a cartridge of liquid every 2 or 3 days. Same with the battery life. I think I use it lighter than most people. I normally just take one or two hits every couple of hours. Funny, because when I smoke real cigarettes, I go through about 2 packs a day. I never could seem to get a consistent "hit" off of any of the ecigs I have tried. With the firelight, I was refilling the cartridges with an oral syringe, but it was messy, and there was not anyway to cap the cartridges, so they leaked all over. Nothing worse than the regular flavor fluid getting into your mouth, ick.

16. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a great and TIMELY thread! Thanks! Just alot of info to digest.

Sonya, is it hard for you to transition back to Ecigs once you get back home from Vegas? I want to quit in the next couple of weeks, but have a trip planned in October and just wondering how hard that would be.

Any suggestions welcome!

17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really. I actually don't like the taste of cigs anymore. Since you get the nicotine from the vape, you don't have the cravings for them. I hear some people talk about needing that hot throat hit that you get from a real cig, but I don't miss that at all.

18. KnotGillty

KnotGillty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya, I'm drooling on my keyboard after hearing you haven't found a strawberry e-liquid you like yet. Ms. T's strawberry is legendary (she has 14 different strawberry variations). As I mentioned above, you can't go wrong with Strawberry Shortcake (her #1 strawberry seller), Strawberry Gum (spot on & reminds me of strawberry bubblelicious gum), or Strawberry Pancakes (you get the buttery pancake on the inhale & strawberries & maple syrup on the exhale). None of these three juices need steeping. These are the kinds of vapes where after your very first drag, you'll actually let out a smile & talk out loud to yourself in amazement. They are that incredible. Ms. T's juices are a little more expensive than others, but the quality justifies the cost. Also, Ms. T (Tammy) is a U.S. supplier with strict quality control measures.

When I first started my vaping journey, I naturally thought I would want a vape that tasted like a cigarette. But I quickly found out it's the nicotine the body craves, not necessarily the smokey tobacco taste of an actual cigarette. I never imagined I would like fruity vapes, bakery vapes, or even coffee vapes (I'm not even a coffee drinker), but I love them. With so many absolutely amazing flavors in the vaping world, The last thing I want to go back to is something that tastes like a marlboro. That might sound odd to a smoker, but for anyone who has vaped for any amount of time, they get my drift.

My goal when I started vaping was to find 5 All Day Vapes. An all day vape is a flavor I can begin using in the morning and not have to switch out all day long because the taste has gotten old. I've reached that goal and happily so, thanks to Ms. T's Bakery.

And regarding throat hit Sonya, if you ever get an Ego Twist, you can manually increase the voltage you are vaping at, which in turn, increases the throat hit, flavor, & vapor production.

Kel, I smoked Marlboro lights since the early 80's. I quit cigarettes this year on January 20th. I went to Vegas in early February for superbowl weekend, less than a month after quitting. I drank my ass off and gambled like a degenerate. My e-cig got me through the weekend without falling off the bandwagon. That was when I knew I was on to something good. I also went to Vegas again last month and partied for 3 days. Again, the e-cig handled any and all cravings like a champ. As long as you have an e-juice flavor you enjoy, with the correct nicotine content, you'll be able to curb any cravings by using the e-cig. You may not be aware, but the juices you vape with the e-cig can be purchased in varying strengths of nicotine. I was a marlboro light smoker and I currently prefer 18mg of nicotine in my e-juice. One can go from 0mg to 30mg of nicotine. Anything over 18mg is a little too strong for me.

Best of luck to any of you looking to get away from the harmful effects of cigarettes and replacing them with a better alternative.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  19. 9wishes

9wishes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At work, we all use Ego-C systems with the tanks. We are just used to them. Started out with others, graduated I guess you would say. I use so much less liquid with the C than any other I have had.

Get mine from Mad Vapes, too. Just ordered French Vanilla Tobacco and Cherry to try. I love their Mad Grapes, Black Licorice and Ultramint. I use the 18mg. I wasn't a big smoker, just half a pack of ultra lights, but I think I just love the "process."

Would have never thought I would like flavors, but I love them. Found a full pack of smokes in a purse I pulled out to sell on eBay, and without a thought, threw them in the trash.

Got my Joytech Ego-C starter kit for $79 plus tax and ship (around $86 total) from Route 66. $10 cheaper than the same thing at The Vapor Pro. I recommend all three of these online businesses, they are quick and stand by their products.

As far as atomizers go, the Ego-C comes with two complete cigs, and 3 extra atomizers. I go through 1 or 2 atomizers a month, less now with the C. You can buy more for about $25 for 5.

I can't imagine every smoking analogs again. Everyone I know that used to smoke now does the ecig. We aren't social criminals anymore...lol.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  20. Jinx

Jinx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoying this discussion. I switched to ecigs last year (briefly) but went 3 months until I reverted back to regular cigs. I'm back on the ecig again for one month after beating myself up for the past couple that I had fallen off the wagon. Las Vegas seems to be my undoing, I just can't get into vaping when I'm drinking I was able to at first, but it's the killer for me, and last year I broke down and went back to real cigs during my vegas trip after the 3 months of being off of them.

Part of the issue for me, is vaping and hydration, I seem to feel extremely dehydrated with ecigs, although less now on the second pass then I did the 1st time around. I decided when going back on the ecig this time, that I'll just drop it again in Vegas in October and go back to vaping when I come back, it's a better plan then switching to real cigs when in Vegas, like I did last time and then not setting it in the ground when I came back to go with the ecig.

My juice provider is Liberty Flights, very solid strawberry from what I've found, although I'll have to try some of the other recommendations on here.

I always thought I would move up to a better class of vaporizer, but have just stuck with the stnadard 510 I get at local tobacco shop, and refill the caromizers. For me it works, and I keep 2 batteries in rotation, until they burn out and switch, charge one use one and typically go through full charges for each once a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.