1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A Case of Road Rage On My Commute

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I drove to work ( usually take the train ) --
    it's still dark.... early a.m.
    I start to pass into my left lane -- but hold up as the
    guy behind me decides to pass, as well.
    He passes me and I move into the left lane behind him.
    He never passes the car in the right lane - I'm now blocked
    by both cars ( right + left lanes ).
    They travel for some time at the same speed.
    I wait...............I finally, give the guy in the passing lane
    a quick "bright lights flick".
    Trust me when i say this...I waited....and I flicked the lights quickly -
    not to annoy anyone.
    The guy in front of me slams on his bracks !
    I slam on my brakes as well...to avoid an accident.
    I'm thinking "this guy is a real jerk !"
    I then, put on my right blinker - and start to go around him in the right
    lane.
    What do think he does ?....at 60 mph....
    He swerves into the right lane + cuts me off :grrr: on purpose.
    I'm driving my new car.....his isn't.
    I jam on the accelerator and pass him on the left.......finally.
    You know.......things could have gone DEADLY.....DEADLY behavior.
    A 2 ton vehicle at 60 mph....and you're cutting people off ?...
    because you don't like a car behind you flicking their lights to
    pass you ?
    Sick.......the person is sick......and I'll bet...just some little sh*t head.
    In my younger days....I would have wanted to BEAT THE CRAP outta
    the weasel......but I just got outta there -- and put it behind me.
    What a jerk !
    Any Road Rage come your way recently ?

2. ttom

ttom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My recent case....

It is early morning. Driving down highway - two lanes each direction. Two cars slow in front of me. Guy right in front of me decides to pass but I dont want to wait so I pass him before he knows what happens. Then I pull up alongside the car in the right lane and drive the same speed as him when the guy who originally wanted to pass - while waiting sometime behind me - flashes his high beams on me! Well you can imagine how the rest of the story went.

3. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

ttom,
    That sounds familiar.... ?...where ?
    Oh,
    Did I mention in MY story.....that the guy was dressed in drag.:evillaugh

4. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I probably wouldn't have slammed on my brakes but I would not have sped up. Flashing lights is highly irresponsible and dangerous. If you are in that much of a hurry, I would recommend leaving sooner. We have too many road accidents in this country as it is.

5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, why follow the rules? There’s certainly no reason to consider others or anything like that. :rolleyes2:

6. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and people like you are part of the reason we have so many accidents

if you don't want to pass someone then stay behind them especially in Houston....I can only imagine how many times you get cut off with that poor attitude in Houston of all places

every defensive instructor out there will tell you that blocking the left lane is dangerous and in many places it is illegal....it is not your job to enforce the speed limits that is for law enforcement to do......get over and get out of the way period

also you have no idea what is going on with the driver that you are rudely blocking...they could have someone with a medical emergency or someone having a baby or it could even be a law enforcement agent in a personal or an unmarked or first responder trying to get somewhere they are needed

get out of the way YOU are as much a part of the issue as anyone....when YOU cause traffic to gaggle up behind you that makes it difficult on everyone else that actually has some place to be to make their exit or to otherwise be able to maintain space between them and others because a couple of lolly gaggers are driving down the road for miles and miles next to each other oblivious to the backup of cars they have stacking up behind them.....then when the one reckless person that YOU seem so fit to control comes along and causes an accident many more people are involved because they were all backed behind YOU instead of able to spread out on the road properly

get out of the way or get off the road

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i seriously hope you're joking ... but i fear that you're not since there's so many people like this on the road these days ... why block the entire road driving at the same speed as the person next to you? if you want to drive the same speed, get in the same lane! as far as flashing lights, how is it dangerous or irresponsible? it's an easy way to communicate with someone and let them know you're there. any courteous person will realize that they are in the way and move over. only an idiot would stay there and not speed up or worse slam on their brakes.

8. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drive the speed limit. I don't recall flashing lights as a "rule". Must be the same as honking obnoxiously and swearing. A guy like you drove my wife off the road. She got his license plate number and the transcam recorded the incident. He got a good set of months in jail. We also don't have a "passing lane" unless posted in Texas. I haven't had an accident or ticket in the 20 years I've been driving.

You won't change my mind.

9. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    State "keep right" laws

State Keep Right? Law Comments
    Texas slower 545.051(b) DOT may post "left lane for passing only", 544.011. Passing on right prohibited except on one-way roadways, 545.057.

Slower traffic should stay on the right.

Edited to say - all my spaces are gone, but in a nutshell, slower traffic should keep to the right, and in some cases, the left lane is for passing only.

10. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I didn't drive your wife off the road.
    I think I'm involved in an arguement ?
    I made no comment about your post,texdan.

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, but if you're driving the speed limit in the left lane of an interstate highway and don't move into the right lane after someone from behind flashes lights, that's just not right. Flashing lights once or twice is an international sign to get out of the passing lane. It's not rude or obnoxious, but "parking" in the passing lane in an attempt to control the behavior or speed of others is.

PS, good of your wife to catch that knucklehead's tag and report it.

12. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow, you're way out of line. this discussion started about the courtesy of not parking in the passing lane and now you're insulting people comparing them to the guy that drove your wife off the road, which has nothing to do with anything. i'm just glad i don't live near you ... we've got too many nut jobs here on the road already.

13. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've closed this thread for obvious reasons, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.