1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fine dining alone?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by SirSwizzlestick, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirSwizzlestick

SirSwizzlestick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my next Vegas trip I'll be there with some friends who are happy enough eating garbage the whole time. Myself, however, am craving some of that amazing upscale food Vegas has to offer. Is it frowned upon going to the expensive places solo?

2. Doughy

Doughy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not at all, when I go i usually request to sit at the bar...the bartender always have the best stories, fine dining or other.

Have a victorious day!
  3. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard L'atelier de Joel Robuchon is a good choice for the single diner because of their counter-like set up. Although personally we've only eaten at the main JR & not L'atelier, I'm sure being Robuchon that it's likely still a very good choice.

4. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have dined solo several times when my wife was under the weather and I always sit at the bar.

5. lmondun

lmondun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    L'atelier is definitely a great option for a single diner looking for a memorable meal. It's my favorite restaurant in Las Vegas, and we've tried almost all of the celebrity chef options. The food is top-notch, and the counter seating provides an excellent view of the kitchen staff at work. The wait staff is friendly and knowledgeable as well, and they have always been very willing to answer any questions about the menu, ingredients or cooking techniques.

If you prefer to sit at a bar instead, I would suggest Sensi at Bellagio. The food is also great there, and the bar has close proximity to the kitchen area. :peace:

6. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not at all. Vegas is one of the best places to do this.

In addition to L'Atelier (perhaps the best choice) the bar areas at Sage, American Fish, and even Le Cirque are exceptionally well set up for this. They won't blink if you come in and say you want to do the full tasting on your own at the bar. The bartenders at such places are often very knowedgeable/interested in fine dining and you can have some great conversations.

This is just an aside, but in France at the top Michelin 2/3 star places it is also very common to see solo diners. The French staff at L'Atelier/Le Cirque are used to it and will treat you well.

7. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dined at L'Atelier alone and was very comfortable. Also, the meal was ridiculously good. I'm not a true foodie but I enjoy good food and this was insanely good.

8. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's also perfectly acceptable to request a table. I've dined solo at Joel Robuchon, Guy Savoy, Twist and others, and have been treated very well.

9. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Larry, you are right about the table. When I am traveling on business I usually like to sit at the bar and eat because of the chance conversation and having a TV to watch.

10. kidrice

kidrice Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1
    When I used to travel on business, solo fine dining was rare. Not because I was uncomfortable, but it was boring to be at a table alone...waiting for the food. I didn't think it was proper to bring a newspaper with me to read in a nice restaurant.

11. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I travel to Vegas solo frequently and I have never been uncomfortable doing the solo dining at upscale places. I just look for the places with a decent bar to sit at

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  12. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ANY place that gives you any hard time..........MOVE ON! No reason to be at SNOOOOOTY places that have condesending( sp??) attitudes to solo diners. The Bar areas ( esp in LV from the spots where i have gone to dine-- and these range from dives with good food to the upper mid level-- some snooty places-- can be very fun. Just be SURE to care of the staff esp when drinking and you will have a good time.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.