1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

60 birthday - crazy idea

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by 75VWnut, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 75VWnut

75VWnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In July of 2014, I'll be hitting the 60 year young mark and I want to celebrate by visiting my favorite city. My "crazy" idea is to pedal to Las Vegas on a bicycle from Phoenix. I'm planning on it taking me 5 days to go from the start in Phoenix and ending at my hotel on the strip (averaging 75 miles per day).

Am I crazy to attempt this ride?:vomit:

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In July???? Yes, that's crazy. But I guess if you train in Phoenix in the summer, you'd be used to it/know if you can do it......What about support crew?

3. earth-3

earth-3 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have been keeping yourself in good condition, it's possible. How can you handle the heat and bright sun? You could make it a midnight ride, but with cars and such, this would add a dangerous element. I run a 5k, six times a week, under 10 minute miles; and I'm 71.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I turn 60 in November and I'm not even sure how to reply to this.

OK, living in Phoenix, you know what the brutal summers in July can be like. 75 miles per day in the heat seems overly optimistic.

You going to have someone in a van following you? Have you really thought this entire thing through? I wouldn't want to pedal 1 mile on US 93.

But hey, maybe you're a Lance Armstrong wanna be-so go for it.

5. 75VWnut

75VWnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Re:

I'll be doing my training in and around Phoenix, so I'm hoping the heat will not be a problem. I will not be riding at night, but I'll be starting my daily ride at sunrise (i.e. 6 AM or earlier) to avoid the heat at much as I can.

As for a support crew, I still need to work on that. It would be nice to have a vechile to carry my luggage, instead of carrying it on the bike. The biggest concern I have, is having enough water during the trip. Having a support vechile on the route would solve that problem.:nworthy:

6. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What kind of shape are you in?

How are your knees? I'm 56. I took 30 spinning classes and blew my knees out!
    It's taken almost 2 years to get them back to where they used to be but not 100%.

Ps; What kind of Bike do you have?

7. 75VWnut

75VWnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Re:

Joe. I'll be not riding on 93 except for a few miles. I'll be going through Wickenburg, Salome, Lake Havasu, Laughlin, then LV.

8. 75VWnut

75VWnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Re:

Mdee, the knees are OK, I've been riding on a regular basis since 1972 and know how to spin the pedals, without (hopefully) blowing out he knees.

For me, this ride isn't about me making it to las vegas in the shortest amount of time; it would be all about me finishing a ride to Las Vegas in the worst conditions (i.e. the heat) and doing it at 60 years young.

9. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd opt for splurging on a First Class seat on a flight to celebrate, but that's just me :wave:

Starting early in the day is definitely a good idea.

In the mean time, what sort of training program will you be doing? Something developed by the pros, or will you just be doing your own thing? If it were me, I would want to use a program developed by a professional (i.e. someone who studies physiology and understands biking) customized for me, rather than just going out there and seeing how far I can ride every day.

While you're at it, perhaps see if you can get a charitable cause that is of interest to you on board. This might give you some extra motivation to do the ride.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No I'd do that too!:poke:

11. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would go for it If I were you

Hey,if you dont make it ,so what? you tried and 60 is the new 40 so give it a shot. If I lived out there I'd follow you in my suv until you made it or I had to scrape your ass off the pavement,in either case we'ed end up in Vegas.
    Best of luck!!

12. 75VWnut

75VWnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The training I'll do will be a program I came up with myself. I've done this for every MS150 I've participated in, but will change it to adapt for the heat (i.e. training in the hotter part of the day) like I did when I rode the 'Hotter Then Hell'.

Having a charitable cause to motivate me is a great idea. Thanks for the idea.

13. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:

:thumbsup: I think it's a great idea and not at all crazy. Those of us who stay active like to challenge ourselves. OTOH, if you were a couch potato and decided to do this on a whim without experience or training - now THAT would be crazy!

60 IS the new 40, rock on!

14. 75VWnut

75VWnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you Kelly

15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

actually for me the biggest concern would be the crazy drivers on the road. The problem is that with long distances some drivers get tired and have a tendency to flash out for a minute or two or more. Unfortunately it could get dangerous for bike riders since they don't have anywhere else to ride except on the shoulders.

I used to ride everywhere but it got too dangerous so I only ride for recreation nowadays.

But good luck to you. Best to have a support car/team with you (maybe even a riding partner if possible) to make sure that you stay safe. Would be a bummers to get into a bad accident because of a wayward or inattentive driver.

16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would never think about this without a support team, even if a few miles away. You need to be able to call somebody when your bike fails, or you fail. Laying on the side of a desert road does not sound like a good idea. The vultures might like you, but...

17. 75VWnut

75VWnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Re:

I wanted to give everyone an update on this crazy idea of mine. I'm just in the planning stages at this point and have mapped out the route I'll be taking. I went on Goggle maps (which lets you map out a route if you were traveling by bicycle) and it was the same one I had orignally planned. I then went on mapmyride.com (a mapping program specfic to a certain sport) and they had the same route, but they also showed the elevation gains and losses for each segment; which is very important if you're traveling by bicycle.

I'm planning on going to Vegas this coming spring for a annual family get-together and will ride my Gold Wing there following the whole route. This will give me a lot of information on where to get water along the route, which is my biggest concern.

Also, I am planning on taking Jimboguy's idea and using this ride to raise money for a charitable cause. I am looking at doing it for "Shania Kids Can" organization. I'm headed to LV for Shania's opening show on December 1st and will be going to a fund raiser she is hosting after her first show. This will give me an opportunity to meet with the people that are in charge of her charity; letting them know of my idea/plans and getting their input on the best way to raise the most money.

18. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is kind of awesome

19. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:

That is a great idea :nworthy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.