1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I'm feeling like I picked the wrong week

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by allustoms, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allustoms

allustoms Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on the car rental prices, I'm feeling like I have picked a week that is going to be super busy.

I know all the booking code tricks, tried them all. I have never paid over $100a week for a standard car or larger (last year got a premium for $85 taxes in). When I started looking, prices were high, I watch everyday, sometimes a few times through the day, and found one day where SUV's and convertibles went down to about $170 taxes in. Thank goodness I booked at that price because they have done nothing but go up since then.

Maybe it's because we don't go home until Saturday morning of the long weekend, but I have changed the dates on the contracts and not seen the kind of deals I am used to.

I'm ok with the $170, I know last year's deal was crazy, but I can't stop thinking that it is double the price.

2. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you could have picked a worse week. Like mine for example (in on the 25th). The best I could do (using a trick I won't even publisize) is $267 for a full size for a week+1 day. Granted I was only looking at Avis/Hertz/Dollar because I wanted to return it to the hotel rather than the airport but I couldn't get a much better deal unless I went with Fox and I'm not doing that. Dropping off at the hotel only adds like $10 to the price btw.

3. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last 3 trips I've stayed 5 nights instead of 4. When you book 5 days for a rental car - they charge you for a week, which makes it higher than normal. So I have been making two rentals for each five night period, and that saves quite a bit of money. Driving back to the rental center and changing cars has not been that much of a hassle (I use Dollar and use their fast rental program).

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    keep on checking sites like kayak and carrentals.com and costco travel. Since you have about 2 months before your trip the car prices might drop. checking the sites daily would help finding lower prices as they sometimes drop it for a day or even half a day and raise it back up again. Great to guarantee a reservation and then rebook and cancel if you find a lower rate.

I'm going to be in vegas oct 6 - 12. most of the rental prices were over $200 (except for fox and payless) but today I found advantage to be lower. I also booked through costco travel for 6 days an intermediate car for $160 through budget. I checked today and the price went back up again so I guess checking every day might let you score a good price.

I also hope that the prices drop, I usually expect a 6 day rental for an intermediate car to run around $130 at the most but I guess it's a waiting game.

5. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are going the first week in October as well. No luck in finding anything under $200 except for Payless. After reading all the horror stories, I'm trying to steer clear.

6. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your countdown says 57 days....that is about 2 months. I have booked my car about 4-6 weeks out with Alamo past few years. They seem to always have a sale come up close to my dates. Initial rates are always high. Do you belong to any of the rental companies insider clubs? If not sign up now for their emails. I seem to get an Alamo one every couple of weeks. I would check rates every day for the next few weeks.

7. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always book with Alamo the day we book a trip. I check everyday. It goes up and down all the time. I just rebooked again today and moved from compact to midsize and saved another $50. Hopefully it will go down more before then.

Sema Show
    Golden Knights here we come. Go Dallas Stars!
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.