1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

It's All About Me

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Trip Reports' started by wroberson, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wroberson

wroberson Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I'm kind of bored the past few days. I work 3 days a week and earn 65-100 delivering Chicken and Waffles. Yeah, yeah, laugh away! I do a lot with my money these days.

My mom had cancer and I quit a job and had moved into the basement so I could drive her to the daily radiation treatments. My sister volenteered for the 9 chemo sessions. Then she had no less than 5 minor strokes and spent 2 weeks in IC. Then she fell again and went back in for another week.

In July, the doctor said she was clear and the cancer was gone and she said I could go back to work. 3 days later I found a job. The above job delivering Chicken and Waffles.

Anyway, back in March, March 18, I made a reservation at the Snow Lodge IN Yellowstone National Park for New Years. 4 nights in a cabin, OTS in/out, food, and a tour of Canyon. The total cost for the reservation was a slight $597.97 of which I paid $298.48 and only need $298.49 to pay for all that.

Since then, I made a reservation at the Rio with my sister for March Madness. That was even cheaper. $140.00 for the suite over the weekend with Wed, Thur, Sun and Mon comped. The airfare was only $229.58. What a deal on any trip.

A few days ago, I got the urge to book another trip. I don't know, I have all this time on my hands and not getting any younger. The problem is, I don't know where I want to go. Vegas is always easy and cheap these days, but there are some other places I would like to see.

Amsterdam
    Hawaii
    Alaska
    Climb of Devil's Tower

These are pricey things that generally require 500-1000 bucks just to book. The climb is 3 days and $1400.00. If a second person joins, the price drops to $900. Room, Board, Training and 2 days on the rock included.

Another thing I've wanted to do is see Washington and Oregon. In fact I still have 15 states I've never been to and would like to waypoint them on my eTrex. Most in the North East. Here all I need is to reserve a rental car and put nothing up front. Lodging would be tent camping, and I would work this baby as a 10-14 day circular tour of the country.

I can't plan anything between now and March. Those two trips are on the top of my list. I've joined Road Trip America to share info on my area(s) of knowledge like campground of the west and a little Vegas and get some pointers and ideas.

So, I guess I'm here looking for ideas. If you have something you've always thought about doing, or trips you have planned. Please share. My credit cards are paid off and I have an itchy trigger finger.

2. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm glad your mother's cancer cleared.

I have done several road trips across America.

For the Northeast, I visited Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire (as well as Quebec and Ontario) in September. It was a bit cool at night (which might impact your decision since you are camping) but the days were clear, the weather perfect and the trees are changing at that time. Spent some time at Bar Harbor NP. I like road trips either just before Memorial Day or just after Labor Day to maximize good weather and sunlight with minimal crowds as kids are back in school.

I've been to Devils Tower but never climbed it. This is a trip for late Spring. Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier NP, Moon Craters NP and Olympic NP were my favorite stops in the Pacific Northwest. Seattle is nice for a big city. Portland is OK. Also hit Roosevelt NP in ND and the Badlands in SD on the return trip.

I've also been to Alaska (used flight vouchers) and really enjoyed it. Went in June and included the Midnight Baseball Game in Fairbanks as well as time in Anchorage and a few days at Mt. McKinley. I really enjoyed this trip as well. There are plenty of camping opportunities but the bugs are insane.

I used to go to Vegas once or possibly twice a year. I've gone 4-6 times the past four years due to the extremely easy comps and multiple vouchers, cheap fares, miles earned on work trips (Nearly all trips are between $0-$100 per day travel expense including airfare, hotel and transportation). Road trips can be more expensive, but you aren't putting money at risk gambling. I plan on a road trip in 2013 hitting the southeast and hitting my 43rd MLB stadium (the new Marlins stadium, the only current stadium I haven't been to).

Anyway, those are the three trips on your wish list and I loved all three.

3. wroberson

wroberson Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the input. I've wanted to see Acadia National Park in Maine. I just have no desire to see New York by car or Atlantic City. I will get all 50 states on my eTrex. It just takes the will to hope in the car and drive off.

On the trip above....

My sister and I have agreed on the Bootleg Canyon Zipline. It sounds fun and a coll way to pass the day.

She also wanted to see Zion National Park. I've been there, but at the time you had to take the bus. In March, I'll be able to drive the canyon road and retain my freedom. Always important to have a sense of control.

Zion is a 2.5 hour drive+ inin park driving. About 50-60 dollars total. I won't need a parks pass because I'll be picking one up in Yellowstone. I have a feeling she's going to want to do Angel's Landing. That's a long steep climb and I don't know if I have the lungs. But I'll give it a go. She'll have to go on ahead.

I've done the Narrows trail, but in March the water course will be 35 degrees. Brrr. For me it's about the scenery and the drive.

4. luvnvegas2

luvnvegas2 Guest

You say its all about you but as you are helping care for your mom i do not see it that way. Havig bewn diqgnosed with cancer my self that metastized to the brai..i hhave had 2 craiotimis to remove 2 tumors twice since may 24 and had to go daily forradiation as well although getting therwas not an issue i have had to dependa lot on myson to take me othervplaces i need to go as well as be close by so i wouldnot be alonealone while recoverin. I a so blessed to hhave him for supportand I am sure your mom feels the sameymom has similar feelings about you. Bless your heart. On a vegas note,note, when I was diagnsed in December I told him my wish was to go to Vegaswith him and he saidif thats what I want he wuld buy rhe plane tickets We havea flight on September 30. God willing al will go well and we will go.being off and on disability proves to limitmy ability to save to feed the machines maybe I should create a website to donate to my cause...LOL.Best of luck to your mom and, on behalf of all moms...tx for being there for her!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.