1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

4th suicide from bypass bridge

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't claim to be Nostradamus but after walking the bypass bridge during the grand opening ceremony, I did predict this would be happening. They made it so easy to jump.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada transportation officials are considering ways to curb suicides at the Hoover Dam bypass bridge after a fourth person plunged from the bridge walkway to the Colorado River.
    Full story here:

http://www.rgj.com/viewart/20120727/NEWS/307270046/Hoover-Dam-bridge-suicides-spurring-NDOT-review

On the right is the pedestrian walkway and you can see the railing on the right is not that high. This was the day before the bridge opened. The left side is the actual highway that people were allowed to walk on that day. Just ahead, there is a parking lot, so you can park your car, walk to the center of the bridge and jump.

[​IMG]

2. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many of us who have visited the bypass bridge knew this was bound to happen sooner or later. Surprising that the officials didn't plan for this when the bridge was being built. The GG bridge also was upgraded to try to prevent suicides. Higher walls, safety nets below, suicide boxes throughout the bridge.

When I walked the bypass bridge I also looked straight down and thought how easy it was to get up and jump.

3. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    a dozen call boxes huh...

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Give me a jingle before you jump.:wink2:

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ever been in the 20+ story inside of the Luxor? I am surprised not many jump in there, that would even be easier.

6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah I was trying to figure out the point...are they for pedestrians to call for help if they see someone attempting to jump or are they for the jumpers looking for a last-second voice of reason

after crashing below people might think you were just a prop in Carrot Top's show...no one wants that distinction LOL

7. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Niagara Falls has been around a lot more then any of us....yet not that many folks jump there.......

8. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It does not happen as often as you would think, but it HAS happened. In 1996 a woman jumped from the 26th floor inside the Luxor and landed at the entrance to the buffet:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/1996/sep/26/woman-commits-suicide-inside-luxor/

9. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A pity they can't outfit the bridge with the trick they used in Niven & Pournelle's Oath of Fealty.*

* - The story is set in an archology in central LA 1200 feet high. They knew it would draw suicides from all over the world, so they fenced off the edge except in one place, where the fencing leads you to...

a diving board.

Todos Santos Security keep a pool going as to how many chicken out and how many go through with it. Don't worry -
    diving from the board triggers a net that comes out and grabs the jumper.

10. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah the terror. As a society, we need to accept that suicides will happen, and for some odd reason, high profile locations are demonised. The issue isn't that the bridge is a safety hazard, simply that it becomes an attractive location for folks that have fallen into a darkness that thankfully most of us will never understand. Suicide is a cowardly act. Many of us have reached the point in life where suicide becomes at least a thought. Thankfully, most of us choose inner strength over the path of least resistance.

Nick:beer:

11. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 says the majority of the people in the buffet kept going back for crab legs until the police shooed them out.

13. LV_Bound

LV_Bound Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If someone is jumping off tall buildings and bridges then maybe we should ban building them so tall. :poke::poke::poke::poke: At least that is the logic many people take.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yup, I haven't a clue as to the purpose of the call boxes. I just mentioned it in my post because it doesn't seem like the bypass bridge has any of those things for suicides and I was surprised that it was so easy to take a leap off the bridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.