1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Frontier airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by K-9treatbaker, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone flown Frontier airlines?

Or I should say, Republic airlines DBA Frontier airlines out of Kansas City to Las Vegas.

Are they better/worse than Southwest? Anyone know anything about the air craft?

Thanks,
    K-9treatbaker

2. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Frontier to Vegas a good bit, but not out of Kansas City. They make me stop in Denver every trip. I don't fly Southwest so I can't give any direct comparisons. Frontier reminds me a lot of the legacy carriers. They have assigned seating, you have to pay to check a bag, and they board by zones. I've not had any troubles yet, and I've flown them about five times. They offer something called "Stretch" seating you can buy on the day of the trip, and it's like United's Economy Plus or Delta's Economy Comfort. I don't believe they have a first class cabin. Price is based on the length of your trip. Most of my trips have been on Airbus 319s or 320s. TVs in the headrests, 6 dollars to watch DirecTV.

3. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frontier airline

Do they charge a cancellation fee?

Delta charged me $150. to cancel a flight.
    I like Delta a lot but I don't like paying that fee. I wish Delta would cut out the cancellation fee or cut it down to $50.

I have to fly Southwest because it doesn't have a cancellation fee?
    Sometimes I have emergencies so I need to fly with an airline that
    doesn't charge a cancellation fee. Lucy

4. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HI Lucy, we haven't flown with Frontier yet either, and have our late Sept flights booked with them, Louisville to Denver and then to Vegas. I got them a couple of months ago when they were running a special, for 300 each total.
    We got the middle class purshase, think it is called classic. For 15 dollars more, we got the middle seats, 2 free bags to check in each, and it said if we have to cancel or change flight, they would charge 50 dollars each.
    Thought for 15 each, it was a good deal to pay the extra.
    I just checked and the exact flights we are taking are now 135 more per person, so glad I booked early.
    Let us know how your flight goes and we will on ours too. I always fly southwest, so not sure how I will like them either. I just couldn't pass on the price because it was over 100 each cheaper at the time I booked, and we don't mind stretching our legs a little while in Denver as the SW flights we take are direct for four hours, and that is a little long to sit in the same place. So we'll see how it goes and hope your experience is good too!

5. bsf436

bsf436 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew Frontier from Kansas City in January. I snagged a non-stop there, but had a layover in Denver. I've always been impressed with them when I have flown them to Denver and this was no exception. The crew was friendly and the flight was on time. The counter agents in Las Vegas were fantastic. Is there still the non-stop available?

More than likely you will be on an Airbus 320 (or 318/319). The seats are all leather and they offer DirecTV in all seats. I've never had a problem with their planes at all. Depending on what Republic does, however, you could end up on regional jet and I can't speak for those.

In terms of them being better or worse than Southwest, I really can't say. Southwest is one of those that people either love or hate. I personally don't have an opinion one way or another and will be taking Southwest in November from STL. I know there is a difference, but I go for whoever is cheaper.

6. g-didi

g-didi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have taken Frontier and Southwest. I didnt mind either. If you need the cancellation flexibility you should look into Frontiers different fare rates - each step up buys you a little extra something here and there - like seats, tv, checked bags, cancel rates etc.

Frontier has TV. Southwest doesnt.
    Frontier cancellation fee depends of fare. Southwest $50
    Frontier baggage fee depends on fare. Southwest includes 2 checked bags.
    Frontier you select your seat. Southwest you choose the seat once you board.
    I remember each provided a snack and drink.

Overall I had good service on both airlines. Frontier boards people onto the aircraft without carryone bags first - that kind of stood out. I appreciated Frontier enforcing carryon bag limits and telling people to put one bag overhead and one under the seat so everyones items fit. Denver airport seemed decent - had a bite to eat and used their free wi-fi.

We left on time, arrived on time, did not have any untoward weather etc. I would fly either of these two airlines again.

7. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    exactly why I like Frontier, sometimes I just want to watch a ballgame on the day of my flight...well part of it anyway before stopping in Denver LOL

I'm kind of a little-time-as-possible-on-the-aircraft guy so usually I try to board dead last when I have no carryons. I know everyone loves SWA for their different boarding process but I don't like having to wait next to my number, then wait again while everyone stuffs their carryon luggage on board

+1

8. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    T.V. screens on airlines

I like the individual t.v. screens on Frontier and the fee of $50. per person cancellation fee is acceptable for me.
    I am planning a long flight next summer for my two grand-kids out of Atlanta, Ga. I want the t.v. idea to keep the teens busy on the plane.

Southwest still doesn't have the t.v. screens yet. Lucy

9. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To LucyR and everyone else,

I REALLY appreciate the info about Frontier. Right now, they are 200.00 cheaper than SW, but they don't have the great flight times that SW has. However, I am highly going to consider to book with them, if SW doesn't lower their fares by tomorrow. A girl I work with told me SW usually drops rates on Monday. We will see.

Frontier sounds nice and it is cheaper. Just wish I could leave Kansas City a little earlier than 3:00 p.m.

Thanks again,
    K-9treatbaker

10. dbueler

dbueler High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just returned yesterday from vacation with my family in LV and we flew on Frontier's direct flight from Kansas City and also returned on the direct flight. I'm a huge SW fan, but not at double the price of Frontier! For the 5 of us, flying Frontier saved us $1250 total, we still had direct flights, and the flight times were good.

I was very pleased with Frontier. We paid the $5 extra for the preferred seating, the front 5 rows of the plane were "Stretch seating" for $25 more pp which we didn't do. However, on the flight out, they upgraded my daughter and I to the stretch seating (don't know why) and it was fantastic. I could stretch my legs straight out and not touch the seat in front of me. I would absolutely pay the $25 next time.

Neither of our flights had TV's in the back of the seat. There was wi-fi available for $9.99, which I thought was pretty high compared to SW. I bought it on the flight out and it was awful slow.

We did pay to check one large bag ($20 each way) and took a couple small carryons. So with the bag fee, I guess Frontier only saved us $1210 instead of $1250. SW is going to have to do more than free bags for that price difference!!

Enjoy your trip
    diane

11. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks dbueler for the report on Frontier. I am glad everything was fine and no glitches. And you are so right, they saved me over 200.00 from the fare that Southwest had. And that even included a seat upgrade, which I paid 5.00 a person for, both departing from KC and departing from Las Vegas.

And when I figured out the time difference from Southwest, I was only talking technically 2 hours so Frontier just made sense.

Our reservations are in and now we are counting the days. LOL

K-9treatbaker/Karen

12. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked Frontier for my December flight out of Akron/Canton. I did have a non-stop out of Cleveland on United but I wanted to try Frontier. I live, 10 mins from CAK therefore if Frontier works out it will be more convenient for me than CLE. I did upgrade to the Stretch seating so I will see how that works out. Oh and my arrival in Las Vegas is at 8:54a.m. Local time, I leave CAK at 6:10 a.m. local time so Frontier definitely has good flight times for me.

13. Wyo351

Wyo351 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frontier has been my choice out of Denver for years. Price, schedule and service has always been favorable. The last few flights out of DIA with Southwest had too many issues for me (lost luggage, delays, scary landings).

That's not to say that Frontier hasn't had their share of issues as well, any airline will. The way Frontier addressed them is the reason I stay with them. They've always made it right (friendly apologies, vouchers, seat upgrades etc.)

14. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly frontier out of denver a lot -- always good. Love the TV in the seat so I can watch sports. Flying SW for the first time out of there tomorrow...you've got me scared!

15. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown SW about 5 times and then gave up on them....I want a preassigned seat, and the attitude of SW flight attendants as of late has been less than desirable. I know allot of people on here fly them....just not my cup of tea I guess.

16. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did pay the money for early boarding. I'm not a fan of unassigned seats either, but I figure if I've got to go that way, we're getting on first.

I haven't flown them in years. This trip will determine if I ever fly them again.

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't understand the hate for SWA, we fly them all the time. Just got back from Seattle and everything was fine. Flight attendants couldn't have been any nicer.

I don't have a problem w/o a pre assigned seat as long as you either pay the $10 for Early Bird or get on line 24 hrs ahead of time and get a boarding position.

Forgot one time coming back from Vegas :drunk: and ended up next to the shitters in C boarding, but that was my fault.

Last flight, they announced we were getting close to landing and there would be no more liquor served, but you could still get a water/soda etc. I heard the announcement, but still asked if I could get a wine. She says no, but when she came around with the soda, she had a wine for me and didn't take my drink ticket.:beer:

18. Wyo351

Wyo351 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha sorry! I don't mean to freak you out! SW just had a consecutive run of bad experiences for me out of Denver. If it makes you feel better, its been years since I've flown with them.

19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Frontier to LV several times. Lately they have been much higher in fare than Southwest or even Untied.

I used to like the display of the map of where you are, which used to be free, but now is a charge. :(

Big problem with Frontier is (at least from OMA) it's big-plane-little-plane roulette! For some reason I just don't care for those little toy planes!

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to add...SWA has basically chased Frontier out of Milwaukee. They are down to two daily flights now. The entire concourse is almost empty as we walk by to catch our SWA flight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.