1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Get a gas receipt if you use Dollar for car rentals

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Kingbarkus, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kingbarkus

Kingbarkus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I topped off the tank of my compact car at the corner of Warm Springs when I returned my car but the receipt printer malfunctioned. Dollar did not check for a gas receipt the previous few times I had rented so I thought "No problem".
    The guy proceeded to give me hell and charged me for 2 gallons at a cost of $9 for each gallon! I called customer support the next day and read them the riot act. Charges will be reversed.

2. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had that happen and had to go inside to get a receipt. I have never been asked for one, but because of the stories I hear from people like you, I always get a receipt. Thanks for the heads up, good advice.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate when I have to go inside to get a receipt - I picked your freaking gas station because the tanks had printers in them:grrr: (Last time that happened to me was on the way back to O'Hare in a rain storm, of course....) But yes - I always get a gas receipt for rental car, just in case.....

4. zlanga

zlanga High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never been asked for a receipt either at Dollar but I have no doubt that it would happen for the first time if this same thing happened to me. Murphy's Law hard at work... Glad you got them to reverse the charges!

USBC Nationals
  5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The CSR checking in the car should be getting in, turning car on if it is off and getting your return mileage as well as checking the gas gauge. If it reads full, you shouldn't need a reciept. The reason they charge $9 a gallon is they give you the car full, return it full unless you take the gas service option. If they didn't charge $9 a gallon, everyone would just bring cars back with whatever in them and get away with it.

6. dunebug81

dunebug81 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had some place try to pull that crap on me last year. Ever since I buy a prepaid tank. I'd say about 90% of the time I use more then a full tank so it works out bringing it back running on fumes.

7. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We haven't rented a car in years, but will be on our September trip. Thanks for the reminder!

8. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Budget in Las Vegas also requires a same day receipt, or will charge you $16.99 (may have gone up).

9. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some unscrupulous people don't fill the car up if the gauge "still reads full" from when they rented the car. Or they fill it up far away from the rental car return. That's why a receipt nearby the rental car return is helpful. So they cannot pull any bs with you after the fact. And it is in some companies' contracts to have a receipt, so.....better safe than sorry in my experience.

The gauge reading full doesn't mean the tank is actually full.....

10. bukaty123

bukaty123 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much is gas in Vegas right now?? Thanks inadvance

11. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just checked, the high is 3.99 but the average is about 3.25. Always top off at Terribles

12. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last time I rented from Dollar they asked for the receipt. Luckily, I had it. BUT, I tentatively plan on hitting Vegas August 5th for a few days and the car rates just skyrocketed! Damn, I should have booked sooner. Now I'll wait and see.

13. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ran into that on my last trip (using Alamo). On the way out of the Rental Car facility I mentioned to the Czar of the Gate that the needle wasn't pointing on the F... it was a little below. She just kind of murmurred.

When I returned the car, I showed my gas receipt showing 8 gallons for about 100 miles. I had to go into the little hut, but they quickly and apologetically tool about $25 off the bill. It was very good customer service.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  14. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last two times I returned the car to Dollar they asked for the receipt (and I had it). Must be my shifty, middle aged woman look! :confused2:

15. kingpasty

kingpasty High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is not a "Dollar" issue but a rental car issue; some companies are more stringent about it than others (varies by location as well). If it's a huge concern for you, there are other modes of transportation.....

17. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree the last couple of times we were told to fill car up within 5 or 10 miles and bring receipt. I think it is common practice. I used advantage and Enterprise.

18. bighouse304

bighouse304 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, luckily I never had had to deal with that, but glad you got your charges reversed!

19. schwaiguy

schwaiguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A decent attendant may tell you just hold up a piece of paper for the camera to see. I may have lucked out in this situation. . .

If the car rental place is smart, they would provide some incentive for the attandants to get receipts. That may be why these guys are so adamant.

Schwaiguy

20. Frisky

Frisky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of times in LV I have refused the car because the gas was not full. One time I had to wait while an attendant filled it up, and he really filled it up. I think he might have been mad that the car was not full when I got it. Still a real pain.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.