1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Food for the Homeless

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Frisky, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frisky

Frisky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last week eight of us were in LV. After every meal we would put the left overs in to go boxes and take them out to the homeless. One guy was begging for money for a hot dog, we gave him two boxes of left overs from four steaks + other food. Before some of you say anything derogatory about what he wanted and what we did, forget it. The next night we gave the left overs from Hash House a go go to two other homeless. They were over joyed to have the food.
    Everyone who eats in Las Vegas, save the left overs and give them to the homeless.

2. MissinOH

MissinOH Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have also done this. It's a feel good thing I guess.

3. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also feed the homeless

I have always shared my food with the workers who pass out flyers to the tourists.
    I am not able to eat a whole meal so I always get part of it wrapped
    up in advance to give to the poor people on the streets of Vegas.

I know for a fact that I will not be able to eat it all in advance and I also
    know that saving it to eat later is foolish because I end up throwing out
    the saved food.
    On the last day in Vegas I have cans of sodas and bottles of juice left over.
    I think next time I will give them to the poor people instead of leaving
    them in the room when I leave.

Maybe we should also give the poor people some of our clothes and toiletres.
    I never use the small bottles of hotel shampoos, lotions, etc.
    I plan to give them away to the gals who work passing out flyers.
    Some women carry back-packs or they keep their things in a plastic bag near them. They do like the things that I give them.

Next time I go to Harrahs buffet I am taking a flower head-band for one of my favorite workers/servers there. The Buffet workers are really friendly there.
    I am so blessed to have so much in my life that I think we should share what we have. Instead of throwing our food and things away it is better to
    share with people who don't have what we have. Lucy

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your stats say you've been here for a year, in that time I am not sure where you got the impression that you can expect derogatory comments for something like this...

As for the idea: the hotels in Las Vegas already do this, sending leftovers from the restaurants and buffets to different meal programs around the Las Vegas area... there are similar programs in most cities in Canada and the USA.

LucyR mentioned toiletries: they also do that already too. Partially used soap is cleaned and repressed in to new bars and things like shampoo and conditioner are combined and distributed through various programs as well. IIRC CET won an award for spearheading that initiative in the Las Vegas area a few years ago.

5. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Auggie, love the Johnny Guitar reference. Outstanding!

I never give money but I have shared pizza more than a couple of times and will most likely do the same this August. Especially for the guys/gals who are sitting near Gold Spike and are not begging.

6. DK528

DK528 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frisky, I do this in NYC all the time -- there's a church across the street from my office and I bring any leftovers from dinner to those who stay there overnight before I head home. Haven't done it in LV yet but I will now -- thanks for the reminder.

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stay downtown and make it a point to hook these folks up every visit.

I dont usually give anything to people who are begging but will give it to someone who looks like no one has thought of them in a while.

There is a recycle center at the end of my street so of course homeless congregate there.

There use to be a lady who lived right on the corner under a tree. Some guy was killed an dismembered roght there too so it was a real scourge, hated them all. lazy, too drunk to look for work.

So one day i was driving to work and saw the lady smoking looking back at me.

That night i came home ans she was nowhere to be found. whatever.

The next day there were flowers under the tree. The foloowing days there were more flowers.

That lady dies right there in the middle of the day. I guess someone missed her but it certainly gave me a different outlook on them.

There are people on my street dying out in the cold, alone and forgotten.On my street, in my America.

This is nit what being an American is all about. So after that day i have looked at these people in a different light.

I want them to know that someone is thinking about them no matter how low the plummet.

8. thenuke1

thenuke1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    never done this but when i hit a nice jackpot i always tip the closest sanitary working near me.

9. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Homeless women don't last long on the streets

I used to see a real skinny lady with a dog and a bike with her things on it.
    I would give her money when I would see her and tell her it was for her dog.
    It was really for her to buy food for herself and share it with her dog.
    One day she was gone.

Many homeless people don't know where to go for free food and shelter in
    Vegas.
    In my community we have free food places. One year they decided to ask for I.D. from the homeless people and that eliminated a lot of people.

One time I was walking around Vegas and I saw a young girl just sitting in the sun and she looked like she needed someone to take care of her.
    I felt really sorry for her and if I lived in Vegas I would have found a shelter for her. I should have stopped and asked her if she needed help but I didn't know how to approach her and not offend her.

I have a friend who travels with me on cruise ships. When it is time to go home she starts to throw away some nice clothes and shoes. She tells me she wants to down-size her luggage stuff. I pack all the stuff and give it to some gal who may need it for her relatives in her country. My friend loves to buy new clothes all the time. She gets bored with her clothes real fast.

When I go on cruise ships I always take gifts to some of the workers.
    They don't make much money. Lucy

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate the compassion shown in these posts, though I can't agree with Lucy's quote. I know quite a bit about this topic in Las Vegas and can assure you, they ALL know where to go. The Rescue Mission, Salvation Army and Catholic Charities are all located in the downtown area. You'll notice an unusual number of folks in need in the Las Vegas Blvd. area just north of downtown as you enter N. Las Vegas, where many of these services are located. There's also plenty of satellite community center locations throughout the metro area.

The population now requesting services in Las Vegas now resembles a movie-theatre line more than a "homeless" line. Lot's of formally middle-class people have turned to these services for help. While this isn't unique to Nevada over the past few years, it has been worse here than most of the rest of the country.

My fear of "accomodating" the homeless in estabished tourist (strip and downtown) areas will cause more to locate there in hopes of food and what they really want money. More of them in those areas traditionally causes other issues that most of us aren't so aminable towards, like public urination/defication. While I think it's wonderful that so many indicate a desire to "share their good fortune" with others, there are better ways to do it, then just handing out food on the strip. I understand that a $50 donation to Salvation Army doesn't result in the same level of satisfaction of helping that providing a burger to someone does, I'm just saying there's more to all this then meets the eye.

Lastly, a bit of an "on topic" joke... A couple businessmen are walking the strip after their conference that day. A homeless man approaches and asks for some money. The first businessman starts to reach into his pocket and the other man grabs his arm and shakes his head. "No... He's just gonna use it for booze and drugs", say the first guy about the homeless man. They walk a few feet further and the second guy says, "what the hell do you think we're gonna use it for!"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2012
  11. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm curious... When you say leftovers is it from your plate or is it from serving containers like at a family style restaurant?

12. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I once gave my full beer to a homeless person while leaving the Golden Gate. Does that count?

13. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And do they eat it with their hands?

14. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When people are poor and hungry....

I don't think they care if the food was left-overs from a person's plate because it is better than eating food from a trash can.

Yes, they eat it with their hands. The left overs are always put in a container with napkins and plastic forks.

One time I ate a sandwich at the Mon Ami Gabi at the Paris Hotel.
    The waiter brought me a small whole loaf of french bread. I thought that was strange. I only ate half of my large sandwich and they packed my other half in a cute classy tiny take-out bag with handles on it.
    I gave it to a poor person on the streets of Vegas.

When I was a little girl.... my 6yr.old boy cousin had dirty hands and face and he was eating a fresh sandwich of jelly outside in the front yard.

A homeless young man was walking by and he asked my cousin if he could have a piece of his sandwich. My little cousin tore a piece of sandwich with his dirty little hand and gave it to the man. The man quickly ate it and walked away. I always remembered that incident.

Poor people will even eat canned dog food. I remember reading years ago that poor old seniors were buying dog food to eat because it was cheaper.

We are spoiled Americans. Yes, I always have to wash my hands everytime
    I eat. I am always washing my hands at home too because I am germ phobic.

If a food served from a restaurant looks spoiled or smells spoiled I will not eat it. If it tastes spoiled or strange I will not eat it.
    Yes, I am a spoiled American but I know how to share my food and things and money with poor people. Lucy

15. Ike

Ike Low-Roller

Canned dog food costs more than canned people food. You have to be an idiot to eat canned dog food. I think that has to be a myth.

16. Frisky

Frisky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was from our plates.

17. Aero

Aero Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The spirit behind these act of kindness is exactly what our society needs more of. Too often we rely on others(usually our govt.) to address issues that could be taken care of if more people felt compelled to actually step up and DO SOMETHING.
    IMO, there is a large difference between the guy selling water at the top of the corss-walk(actually trying) and the guy who is holding the "I need $ for beer" sign. Mama always said, "God helps those who help themselves."... and so do I. Good Job to all those on these boards who have decided to make a difference.:nworthy:

18. luvnvegas2

luvnvegas2 Guest

I had never considered this but will now tx for the idea'

19. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, I believe cat food is the way to go, it has much more nutrition and it has to taste better, since dogs eat poop while cats are pretty picky.
    Canned cat food is a little more than half the cost of tuna, sometimes its similar to human tuna but substandard, I recall an incident from a few years ago where people bought canned tuna and under the tuna label were cat food labels. :beer:

20. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Message for Ike

I am an old senior and I KNOW FOR A FACT that seniors did buy dog food. It used to cost 25cents a can. I don't think you were born yet unless you are a senior presently.
    You can't compare yesterdays prices from todays cost of foods.

Do your research because it was written up in the Los Angeles Newspapers.
    Lucy

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.