1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by kel3420, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, so I have promised hubbie I would quit smoking for, oh, 20 years or so. :rolleyes2:

He has been telling me that we can't afford another vegas trip this year. I've been there once this year, but that trip was a flop and our last trip together was last October. I go 2-3 times a year for 20 years, so this is killing me.

He told me last night that if I quit smoking, I could afford to go. THEN he added, if I really quit, BY the end of August (he's giving me till then to 'get my crazy out' LOL) then we will go in October. BUT if I go back to smoking, like I always have, then we aren't going to Vegas for three years. HAHAHA

But seriously, I do want to quit and I hate smoking so I will probably do this.

But it's hard for me to imagine going to VEGAS and not smoking. I know non smokers will totally not get this, but I have been smoking for a very long time and this will be very difficult. I quit several years ago and had a bad reaction to Chantix and ended up in the hospital, so that's not an option. Any suggestions?

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quitting isn't hard, I did it 20 times:wink2:

My only advice is you have to be the one that wants to quit, a Vegas bribe probably isn't going to work long term.

When I finally did quit for the final time, I would sit next to smokers for the aroma & smoke. That lasted about a year.
    Now I can't stand it.

That being said, I don't know how I could go to Vegas and not drink. Similar dilemma.

3. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every night when you go to sleep you have effectively quit smoking for several hours. It's the choices you make in the morning that matters.
    I used to smoke about 2 packs a day and had quit on a number of occasions. I think the last time I smoked was around 1980. I'm now 56 years old.
    Contrast that to my older brother who was a heavy drinker and smoker and died from heart failure 2 years ago at the age of 55. Very sad.

Cigarettes cost maybe .75 cents a pack when I quit. I have no clue what they cost now but it must be a lot to affect the outcome of a family vacation.

Now let me share something personal with you. April 12th 1984 is my sobriety date. Clean and sober - No drugs or alcohol since then.

Quitting bad habits is hard but if you are committed then it can be done. And after a while you will find things to do to fill the void.
    I know because the same questions popped into my head 28 years ago. What will I do all day if I'm not getting drunk or high? And after awhile you
    will learn to live without these things. You can do it if you want it bad enough and you will be healthier and happier for quitting.

4. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quitting a bad habit is about setting priorities. Smoking is now a high priority in your life. Make it a lower priority.

Putting health, money, and Las Vegas a higher priority will help kick the bad habit.

5. smac

smac Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree here with Joe that you really have to want to quit. I smoked for 30+ years and quit the second time 4 years ago. The first time I tried I did it for all the wrong reasons. The second time I really didn't want to smoke anymore and because of that quitting wasn't overly difficult. I used a nicotine aid (lozenger rather than gum) for the first 3 or 4 days just to take off the edge. Everyday I would wake up and start my day by saying "I'm a non-smoker" and I did that for the first couple of months.

After a bit I started to realize that days would go by and I hadn't been to an ATM or used my debit card. I started to calculate the $9+ bucks a day (that's what they were then in Ontario Canada) per pack I was not spending on smokes and that got me feeling really good about my choice. I go around people who smoke all the time and I never stopped doing that. I wanted to give up smoking, not living. At first I would notice them light a smoke or watch as they would take a drag and over time I just simply stopped noticing.

6. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True. If you REALLY wanted to quit it would be much easier. You could calculate how much you spend on smokes then add it to your Vegas fund.

When in Vegas and drinking (which will be your hardest test) simply sit down next to a smoker and take in some second hand smoke. Even though 2nd hand smoke isn't good for you it just may curb the urge. And in the morning you will be happy you didn't break down.

Once again nothing will work if really don't want to quit.

7. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was really well put. Choices, habits, all the consequences - it requires a great deal of insight to see it all when in the thick of it.

When we Were Young
  8. Aero

Aero Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have friends who have had luck using the electric cigarettes as an aid to quit and have been successful. Don't know the cost, but it worked for them.

9. ebuzz7

ebuzz7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is going to sound odd but I had a friend/co-worker who had to quit due to a surprise pregnancy. She took one of those pens (clear housing skinny at one end) they came in either black or blue with a colored cap. She stuffed a small wadded up bit of paper in there and would drag on the skinny end. She said the biggest thing she missed was being able to "pull" on something so that really really helped her. She couldn't do the sitting next to smokers because of the pregnancy but I would think the two things combined might help?

10. nitc

nitc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, you MUST want to quit. I did, and I was able to quit. My girlfriend didn't really want to, and failed in her efforts. But quitting isn't the hard part...staying quit it.

I got on the patch in August 2010 and was done in just over 4 weeks. I haven't even wanted one since. Get with your doctor and get some help to quit. You can do it.

And a big CONGRATS! to those who have successfully quit smoking, drinking or anything else.

11. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My friend at work has been using one for two months and hasn't touched a regular cigarette since. It's the only thing that has worked for her.

12. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank You!

kel3420
    I was speaking to a Certified Master Addictions Counselor and she told me that withdrawal from Nicotine only last 72 hours. Just 3 Days!
    Being able to modify a learned behavior over the past 20 years is the hardest part of the process. In other words what do you do with your hands?

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish you luck, but I'd be skeptical of the odds of success. Not only because quitting permanently is difficult (I don't smoke but my father does and has never managed to quit), but because even if you've quit by the time you go, Vegas is very likely to be the wrong sort of trigger.

I know that when my dad would quit, men's league golf the next year would rope him back in. Being around smoking in a social setting, as well as a setting you have memories of enjoying while smoking is a strong pull.

14. MissinOH

MissinOH Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sister quit after smoking for 30+ years. I tried and made it over 3 weeks. But I was packing on the pounds like crazy! So started up again. :nono: We both used SafeCig www.safecig.com. Do alot of research of what amount of nicotine you need. I have met up with her in Vegas twice since she quit (Jan and May) and she said she has no desire for the real thing anymore, but does still like the smell. I know if this is something she can do, most anyone can! I plan on trying again once we get back from Vegas (4 more days) :drunk: Best of luck to you!

15. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks SO much everyone for all the replies! It is greatly appreciated, especially all of the private and personal stories! Congrats to all who have quit any bad habit!

Kelly

16. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your efforts are for all the right reason you WANT to Quit, my problem was I HAD to Quit, I used to smoke, then I started having problems walking up a flight of stairs, and it was not breathing it was cramps in my lower calfs walk 5 steps have to stop etc. Come to find out I had PAD, and a 7 centimeter blockage in femoral artery ! so Im told by my Doctor this was related directly to smoking and being 48 yrs old at the time kind off the wake up call. Anyways quit on the spot cold turkey Dec 2007 and (4 stents later)
    So dont wait till it too late hopefully I dodged the bullet this time :ssst:

17. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The incentive necessary to quit is probably different for all of us. And, there's also the possibility an addictive personality may be involved (which puts the habit/addiction at a whole different level).

My incentive to quit presented itself when my girlfriend moved in with me. She basically announced I was no longer a smoker (and gave me a look that said the issue was a deal breaker). I married her many years ago - and I still don't smoke.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.