1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Thrifty Deal

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by POPO2012, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just jumped online to check the rates for our Sept. 14 thru Sept. 17 trip. Yesterday rates were $45 per day, today they are $13 per day for the wild card. Those dates are actually for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so if anyone else is looking..............:beer::beer:

2. sikotyk

sikotyk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks scored a good rate for September as well. Just booked two days so I can hit the mall, downtown etc. Dollar has the same low rates as well.

3. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your very welcome and I'm.glad you were able to get that rate. It was still $13 per day this morning.

4. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't find a good rate on my Oct rental. Never had this problem before and its driving me nuts!!! :Þ

5. POPO2012

POPO2012 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try to check daily. The Thrifty rate fluctuated from.$45 to $13 a day within 24 hours.

6. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am checking daily. More than once a day. Trying diff times etc...still high.

7. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same for me. And the difference between picking up right away in the morning of the day we arrive to picking up later in the day is over $100. I can only assume there is a convention with a block of cars reserved that get returned in the middle of the day???

8. allustoms

allustoms Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Oct rates are a mystery to me as well. I started checking about a month ago and they were the highest I'd ever seen. Thinking I was just too early I've been watching. A small SUV was lower than the compacts. The prices did finally start to drop in the last few weeks, but still lowest on the SUV's and then convertibles dropped.

I booked a convertible for $168 for a week taxes in. I paid half that last year so I was assuming prices would go down.

This week everything has jumped up - $350 for the SUV and Convertible classes. The lowest I can find is compacts for the same price as I have the convertible booked for.

I'm glad I booked when I did.

9. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is odd. But like I mentioned a while back, most of our trips are not known this far ahead of time. Our last trip was finalized about 6 weeks prior to departure and the rates were best about 2-3 weeks before departure (for the car). I am holding out hope the same happens around the beginning of September.

10. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny I have a small SUV reserved too. It only added about $20 to the total amount. I will keep watching though..daily :)

11. monkey

monkey Low-Roller

Is picking up in the morning vs. in the afternoon creating an extra day rental? Here's what I noticed when I made my Thrifty reservation (for an economy, rates are not including taxes):

1) From Saturday @ 10am to Wednesday at 4pm, I was quoted a weekly rate of about $140.

2) From Saturday @ 10am to 4pm (1 day - $10.80), and a second reservation from Saturday @ 4pm to Wednesday at 4pm (4 days - $50.98). Total base $61.70.

For us, it was a no brainer, make 2 reservations. Pick up the car, bum around for a while, exchange cars then check-into the hotel. Inconvenient? Yes. Worth paying less than half the price? For us, yes.

I have no idea why Thrifty doesn't let me rent a car for 5 days and pay for 5 days!!!

12. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It very well be that, yes. I know in the past, it was actually a bit cheaper when combined with coupons to keep for at least 5 days versus 4 days. In this case, not at the moment. What we may do is take the bus from the airport to DT then come back on the bus later to pick up my sister-in-law and pick up the car then.

EDIT: Just did a quick search. A one day is still overpriced which means that inventory is the issue. I looked the convention schedule and one ends that day so perchance a large block of cars are reserved and may be unavailable???

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.