1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

speeding from Vegas to LA

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by jhpa, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do you think is a reasonable speed heading from Vegas to LA? I assume the posted limit is 70. How much can I push it? 78? 83?

...leaving Vegas to LA on a Wednesday morning about 7 and leaving LA for the return trip about 4 the same day.

2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't matter. You are going to be at the whim of traffic, and it's could to be ugly-ish both ways. Leaving Vegas at 7am puts you at the pass around 9, which means "flying" down the 210 around 10. Could go either way. You ought to be clear of morning traffic most of the way through Pasedena. Coming back, you are going to be in the thick of rush hour. Get up to the 210 early and you ought to be back in Vegas by 8.

3. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fastest time between LA to Vegas with no delays of traffic is about 4-4.5hrs. All depends on what part of Socal you are going to.

Then you have to factor in which part of Socal and the time you will be in the area will determine where the delays will be at. Consider 1-2hrs of traffic time just in case. Thats just the Socal part. If there is traffic between Vegas and LA, then theres additional time on top of that too. This is rare but happens usually on the weekends.

Now leaving LA is a whole different story. All depends where you are leaving from. Lets say Downtown LA, it will take you about 1hr just to get out of the city limits out into San Bernardino area. If you leave after 3pm, you will run into traffic out of that area and will take 2hrs to get to San Bernardino area then another 3.5hrs to Vegas from there.

So realistically your day will consist of leaving Vegas at 7am, get to LA around 12. Leave at 4pm, you'll get to Vegas around 9-10pm.

4. matchu

matchu Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been able to push 80 with no problem multiple times. The key is to try and maintain the speed that everyone else around you is going. And there will always be somebody trying to go faster than that. Stay in the 75-80 range and you should be fine. This is for most of the 15.

5. GolferTrav

GolferTrav High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speed limit is 70. Between the state line and Baker I routinely hit 90+. I've definitely hit 100+ before. I'm pissed if my average speed drops below 85. Watch your speed 5-10 miles out of Baker, Barstow, etc. Anywhere there's a CHP post or a larger city.

Be careful between Las Vegas and CA state line. NHP likes to hide in the breaks in the center divider of I-15. You can spot the breaks by the signs that have blue reflective tape. Be aware the NHP drives 'different' vehicles, including navy blue F-150 type of pickup trucks.

6. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We will be heading to (and from) Dodger Stadium. And it will be on a Wednesday Morning (next week, July 18 to be exact)

7. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks - this is more of the kind of intell I was looking for. Traffic will be what it will be. But I assume there will be some open road at some point. Just wondering how much I can push the envelop. Will be in a rented Cadilac Escalade (Five guys in a car for 8 hours or more, I wanted some comfort) Not really a speed car, but I assume it will have some power.

8. worldtraveler661

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drive that route at least once a month and maybe its the age kickin in. LOL. but I hardly speed anymore. I usually just keep it at a 80mph pace as best as possible. Sometimes 82-83. But there will be areas where it'll be in the 70s just because of curves and traffic. you shouldnt have any issues with traffic coming in around noon to Dodgers Stadium. Its that 4pm departure that will get you.

I think you posted this in the past and asked the same question. I think I suggested to stay and eat in downtown area until 7pm. Then headout after that.
    You'll pretty much get to Vegas later in the night. It all depends if you're trying to get back to Vegas for some nightlife or gamble. But I would check out a restaurant nearby and leave after dinner. You'll get back to Vegas around midnight-1am.

9. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    79 has never drawn heat for me - but it's been two years now since I've driven it. I've seen someone roll by me @ 85 pulled over down the road...but no idea what he was doing when nailed.

Keep in mind that you might be fastest on the road on a Wednesday, at least inbound to SoCal. Afternoon/evening drive there should be enough racers to allow you to move pretty quick.

Take it easy up and down Cajon Pass - not only is it safer, but there's CHP from time to time looking for commercial truck enforcement, or just helping overheated vehicles on a hot day I suppose? Less about total speed, more about difference between you and the car(s) in your lane. With trucks hauling 15mph up the hill on the right, the cops can get touchy if you're flying by everyone I'm told. And I second the Barstow, Victorville comment above. Once you clear Barstow on the way home, it's just the one speed trap car to look out for.

4PM out of Chavez is going to be a royal pain, all directions. Maybe ask on a Dodgers forum the best way to get away after a weekday matinee?

Last but not least...see if you can get a Nevada plate for the rental. Probably won't help, but I've always thought that they give a little more leeway to out-of-state drivers out west. Anyone agree? Rural myth?

10. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My general rules:
    Where cops are expected to be (near cities and where there are hiding places) = Set cruise to 15 mph above limit.
    General cruising with open traffic = Set cruise to 20 mph above limit.
    Clear, open space AND paying full attention = 20+ over limit.

Setting cruise control is very important. If you just intend to go around 15 mph over the limit you will tend to go slower over hills and faster on straight roads and downhill. This exposes you to greater risk of a worse ticket, but you're not making as good a time because you are also slowing down in areas. Setting the cruise gives you the best speed for a fixed amount of risk. Of course this all depends on traffic. Also, setting the cruise at 15 or 20 mph over the limit actually sets your speed below this amount. By law, the speedometer in your car cannot be set to read less than the actual speed. Therefore, all auto manufacturers set the speedometer around 3 mph high at freeway speeds to make sure they are within specs. So I'm really setting my speed at 12 mph or 17 mph over limit. Not as likely to get a ticket for that.

I also try to use a "runner" when going greater than 20 over limit. A "runner" is someone driving 20+ over the limit. I will hang well behind them but match their speed. If they suddenly hit their brakes for no apparent reason, there's a cop ahead.

Now for my story:
    About 25 years ago (I was in my early 20's, with the usual feeling of invincibility for that age) and I left for Vegas after work at 11:30pm. Yes, pm. I was making very good time, trying to keep the average speed above 100 mph, including stop for gas and slowing down for suspicious vehicles (possibly cops). After a while I discovered that my fingers were getting numb from gripping the wheel and I was getting a headache. It takes a lot of focus to go that fast at night. So I let off the throttle and started cruising around 80 mph. It felt like I was just barely creeping along, but I really needed a break from the intense concentration. Well, not 2 minutes later it looks like a christmas tree lighting up in the center of the highway. The cop was just waiting for the next car to come along. Half of me was pissed that he could give someone a ticket on a straght stretch of road without any other cars in sight, and the other half of me was so very thankful that I happened to slow down at that time.

11. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Dodger Stadium it's a straight shot up Highway 2 to the 210. Take Stadium Way north to the 2, then north to the 210. You are going to hit traffic, but it should be moving rather than sitting.

12. GolferTrav

GolferTrav High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some added thoughts to what's been posted since mine...

I find it hilarious that most people are suggesting slower speed than what I routinely accomplish. If you think it's safer, etc. fine. But to suggest that those are the maximums is a laugh. My normal vehicle is an F350 dually. That's not practical for Vegas due to fuel and parking (although it has made the trip before). My normal Vegas car is a 2003 Pontiac Vibe with nearly 200k miles on it. It was my wife's car in college, is 100% paid off (had 0% interest) and I do all of the maintenance on the Toyota engine that's in there (did you know the Toyota Matrix = Pontiac Vibe). It's not as comfortable as my truck, but 35 MPG vs. 15 MPG is the selling point for a drive to Vegas. Plus, I swear it rides better at 100 MPH than it does at 75 MPH. It's the vehicle that makes 5+ trips per year to Vegas from SoCal.

With all that said, I did get clipped for speeding recently (in my F350). I wasn't hauling a trailer, so my speed limit was 70 (versus 55 with a trailer). Had cruise set at 85 and the cop got me at 84 on radar and 83 by pacing (???). Seemed to hesitate to write me a ticket and then wrote it for the full speed of 84. I thought 15 over was the major $$$ point, but it's 20 in CA. I still think they can get you for reckless at 15+ over if they want to. I don't get a lot of tickets, but it's the first time I've EVER been written for the full amount. FWIW, the cop that got me was an unmarked white CHP car in the opposite direction of traffic on the I-5 near Taft (where I didn't know they have a CHP station). Cost nearly $400 and I have to do traffic school.

I agree with the theory that 'local' plates can help. Just know that a majority of your travel will be in the state of California and not Nevada. Either way, there's usually indicators that it's a rental and not a local car. Plus, I don't think CHP is good enough to notice a plate before they notice a speed on the gun.

I live in SoCal, but not LA. Don't deal with the LA traffic too often, but I'd have to agree with the fact that your return trip has the greater chance of delays.

Best of luck and drive safe!

13. worldtraveler661

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Driving 85+ on a Friday early evening/nite(when I usually make the drive) is actually harder to do than during the week or late at night. I've tried to keep at a pace of 85+ but I would need to swerve in between cars very often. Too much work to do to save 20-30min. LOL.

You can probably average 85+mph on a Wed morning and even on a Wed evening. Totally different traffic on a Friday going to Vegas or a Sunday heading back to LA.

14. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CHP & NHP? Can you expect warnings @ 12 over if you're the only guy around, or is 12 over 99.99% safe from getting pulled over? Thanks, and thanks for the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.