1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I need some computer help NCPROT?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife’s hard drive crashed and I was able to do a successful restore. :thumbsup: One problem she is having is on every boot-up she gets the error message shown below. I’ve searched her computer for this file, with show hidden files enabled and get nothing.

I did the web service search and found nothing. I goggled the entire file line and got nothing, so I tried w/o the extension and got the North Carolina protection of marriage act. NCPROT.:evillaugh

We have some pretty knowledgeable computer people on VMB, just wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction. :confused2: She uses Win 7 Home Premium. Pm me or post here if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
    Joe

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  2. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully u can open it--after downloading run in safe mode and start program when its done reboot in normal mode

Code:
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But those are talking about an .exe file.

4. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes u are correct i missread ur post...

I am checking for u until i would run that malwarebytes like i stated and start there..Could be a hidden trojan causing this,,

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A .lnk file is usually just a shortcut to an exe.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have malwarebytes and she runs it once a week for the quick scan, but I have her running another full check now.

7. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes in some ways a exe has to execute from somewhere--Also try this

download it here:

Code:
    http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208283363
    this little free app is a must in your toolbox. i use it all the time to clean machines.

Something is causing that problem on ur pc to run--

8. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LNK files are shortcuts. So it seems that the association for LNK files has been lost. As to what the shortcut is for it seems. The last post mentioned running malwarebytes and I would second that suggestion. Download/install and run the free version of malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org Association for LNK files is a basic part of windows and it being lost leads me to believe you may have picked up some malware. If you continue to have problems this may not be the best place to ask questions. I would suggest http://www.techspot.com/vb/index.php

9. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    New link for above Joe--

Code:
    http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208283363

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys. Malware check still running and after I'll try the Kaspersky if nothing turns up.

I appreciate the help!:thumbsup:

Done for now, I'll let you know later this afternoon where we are at.

11. tapakip

tapakip Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Network Admin here.

2 Quick places you can check. Click start, then programs, then scroll down to the startup folder and look what's in there.

If it's not listed there, then it's in the boot up processes somewhere. Easiest way to check is to click start, run, type msconfig and hit enter. Click the Startup tab at the top, then look through the list for the one that matches, and uncheck it.

Let me know how you make out.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update

We ran Malwarebytes and Kaspersky and both found nothing. Interesting that Kaspersky found one suspicious item on my desktop.

Checked her "startup" in programs and she doesn't have such a folder. Is that odd? I do on mine, but all it contains is my wireless card stuff.

So I ran msconfig and under startup the last thing listed is NCProtray. I unchecked and now her boot up doesn't come up with the error message, but what have I actually done by un-checking that?

Program source is "unknown" and the file was in C:\programdata\microsoft and I didn't look at the rest of the directory tree. I probably should have, but her computer is off now and I'm too lazy at the moment to go upstairs and turn it on. If it's pertinent, I can report back.

Thanks all for your help, but I'm still concerned what I did by un-checking that box. Could I be screwing up another program down the road?:confused2:

13. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a guess here, but hopefully a decent guess from an IT Pro....

You own a Samsung monitor, correct? A SyncMasterXL? If so, did you install the software that came with the monitor?

The shortcut you mentioned, loaded in the startup folder, perhaps comes from the Natural Color Pro software. It's largely irrelevant to the operation of your computer:
    But if you want it back, just download and install from Samsung's web site. Then you'll know that you have all the files in all the right places...and of course the software will be loaded upon startup.

My recommendation: Be glad your computer is back up-and-running (sorry about the crash!) and leave it alone for a few days. If it's still bugging you next week, download and re-install. And remember, this advice could be 100% wrong.

P.S. The file path you mentioned just referenced the Startup folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\NCProTray.lnk). This suggests you lost the Startup folder after your crash. Don't sweat it too much - if you are concerned that a program should be running and isn't, reinstall the software. Like anti-virus. But very little ends up in the Startup folder these days; it's in the Registry which you viewed in the MSConfig step earlier. The executable itself should be in C:\Program Files\SEC\Natural Color Pro\NCProTray.exe Go ahead and see if you still have the folder (to ascertain how much data loss you have) but if you want it to run again, it is slightly better to reinstall the software.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you

That's it! Bought the Samsung a couple of months ago because she is doing all this picture and graphic work and needed a bigger monitor.

Again, thank you to all who took the time to respond.:thumbsup:

I know enough to just get myself in trouble sometimes, but the Acronis restore worked, so I'm not in the doghouse!

15. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well glad ya got it--I always start with a scan on rootkits and malware then proceed --Great ya got it fixed Joe

16. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Otherwise Joe you like your Samsung monitor??

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife loves it!:thumbsup: It's a 24" screen and she does a lot of work with Photoshop. It just makes it so much easier to work with on a bigger screen. $169 total from Newegg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.