1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Gasoline Down--Air Fare Up

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DOUBLE B, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gas prices here is SC are now below $3 gal. Air fares continue to rise. Two years ago I could fly from East Coast to Vegas for around $200 buying tickets 8-10 months in advance. Now it is hard to find a fare under $425 (even booking into April/May 2013) regardless of how far out you price tickets. Sorry, I just don't get it!!!-

Yes! Someone will add on and say gas prices are not tied to jet fuel. Then what the h--- are air fare prices attached to??

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Supply and demand. As the economy slowly creeps back, more people are travelling. The more people wanting those seats, the higher the price for the seats.

3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hang in there and wait for the usual (and now a bit overdue) sales. At least that's what we're doing. This is one of the few 4th of July's we won't be in Vegas, though it probably has as much to do with last month's less than stellar results than high airfares. We're now looking around Labor Day and will be surprised if nothing more favorable shows up within the next few weeks.

4. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got to SC last night Conway to be exact and couldnt believe at how cheap gas is down here 2.85....

It is 3.35 back in Maryland... unreal

5. tapakip

tapakip Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boston to LAS has fares around $280-$335 at almost all times. I'd be surprised if your neck of the woods didn't have similar prices at some point or another.

The days of $200 R/T were great, but they only happened because of 9/11 and the economy crapping out. Not to mention the airlines had mostly huge planes in use, and tons of empty seats before things got bad. They've smartened up and now run 95% capacity.

The best part of those old days? Being able to sleep across 3 connecting seats on the redeye back home from Vegas. :snore::snore::snore:

6. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Indeed, that was nice. A few years back, I flew from Florida to Vegas with a sudden fever that hit while waiting to board. Was able to sleep the entire way across three seats in the front of the plane. It was as wonderful as you can hope for when feeling so awful.

7. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am starting to check for my annual trip to a trade show. Next year they moved the date back from the last week of february to the last week of january and from the LVCC to the Rio. I would prefer to stay downtown as I have for the last couple of years. Last 2 years there have been no across the board internet sales at SWA so prices have been high. They just finished their 72 hour sale and for fun I looked at what it would cost to leave sun to fri in November from NH staying at EL Cortez and it was under $500 even less at a couple of other places. I am hoping for something like that in january but they are going to extend their reservation system to about 1-13-13 in July so I guess it will be late august or sept util they get into the end of january and march. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jimbo338

8. theshaah

theshaah High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just pricing a regular ticket for my girlfriend to fly to las vegas to spend a few days with me 425 for the flight there and 225 for the flight back. After taxes it came to about 665 dollars for a round trip positive space flight.

Thats INSANE.

Thankfully I can get space available seats for her 4 times a year for nothing but therein the problem presents itself "Space Available" means there has to be SPACE AVAILABLE.....People are buying up these airfares even at the high prices. So there is NO space available.

Thank god I fly for free.

9. maximus56k

maximus56k Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Austin Southwest is $180 per person right now for me. I am going to fly my wife out but I drive from Austin in our van twice a year and last March 1300 miles and fuel costs were $267 one way. That was split between 4 of us that traded off for the 19 hours. Hope gas keeps going down until December!!!!:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.