1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Hotwire for car?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by djegators, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been searching rates high and low for a possible January trip, and have been disappointed so far. Then I tried Hotwire, and it is significantly lower. Am I missing something, or is this a legit way to go?

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've not booked a rental thru Hotwire before, but I have used their rates as a guideline on what to bid over at Priceline. They pretty much will have similiar rates (most time I can bid $1-2 a day lower on Priceline and get it. Both only deal with the big name car rental companies, so no worries there. Only drawbacks? You can't cancel the reservation and get your money back and you pay everything up front.

3. LAV

LAV Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is definitely a legit way to go. I have used them several times, and they have always been lower. Only drawback is no cancellation, no frequent flier miles, etc.

4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used HW several times in Florida, received Avis or Hertz. Yes, I don't get points or awards, but just remember folks, there is no free lunch. Rental car companies don't give those things away, you pay for them in the end.

5. mikewolf13

mikewolf13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used Hotwire for cars many times, never an issue...only drawback is if you care about loyalty points with car compnay...

excellent option

6. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rates are high because you are looking so far in advance. If you just want to get it done and over with, go with Hotwire - but just remember you are locked in. Rates will improve for January sometime in the fall.

7. djegators

djegators Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm...interesting. I had not thought of the rates going down, at least that much. Might be worth a wait, we'll see what the group decides.

8. tapakip

tapakip Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Use a site like rentalcars.com to book at the best price. You can cancel it if another one comes along. I've rebooked mine 3x now, as the price keeps dropping. It's a win-win.

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if you hotwire a car it should be free?

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only in Newark

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.