1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jalapeno, cayenne & anaheims

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by HoyaHeel, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband loves hot peppers. I do not. He has several plants of the above varieties that of course are producing oodles of hot things:confused2: In the past he's only grown jalapenos and eats them raw (sometimes) and pickles & cans a few pints every other year (that last him through the next 2 years...). So he's already thinking about making some hot sauce, and I know I'll roast/peel/chop some of the anaheims to freeze.

Any other ideas? I told him I'd put them in his food if he tells me what he wants (but I'm the chef in the family - he's light on ideas) So I'm seeking outside help:peace:

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    everything is better with hot peppers or hot sauce. there's very few things you could put them in that they wouldn't make better.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love chiles.

Make green chile sauce with the Anaheims. From there you can do all sorts of things, from sauce for enchiladas to a base for chile verde.

Do you dry and grind the cayenne?

Make your own chipotles with the jalapenos.

4. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do like some jalapenos on my hamburgers, spices them up real nice.

Has your husband had habanero chilies? Hmm, the best, imho.

5. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  6. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have tons of tomatillo plants this year, so I'm definitely planning on salsa verde - heavy on the tomatillo, light on the chile - for my preferences.

I'll pass on the other ideas to the Heatseeker I live with:evillaugh

Yes, we've had habaneros. And scotch bonnets. And all sorts of hot things. Hubby chose to grow what he wanted.....

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we started growing chiles we did the many-many array, then over time, with usage, we settled into planting fewer types, all of which we use frequently. Poblano and a variant on the Hatch/AZ/CA/Anaheim cultivar, something piquant like serrano and/or jalapeno, and Thai or cayenne for drying and grinding. But we don't have the space of the Hoya Family Farm.

8. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a good year so far at the Hoya Family Farm:thumbsup: 10 blueberry bushes producing very well. Dwarf cherry produced for the first time. Wild blackberries - first time we've ever been able to pick those. Peaches growing and smelling amazing on the tree (if we make it to harvest - will be our first peaches). Herbs, 5 varieties of tomatoes (~20 total plants...) plus beans, chard, zucchini, and so on. Some things I grow every year, and every year I try something new - to see if I like it, if I use it, and if it will grow well in our conditions. Since we had such a mild winter - I had scallions and leeks throughout the winter.

Hubby has his own areas - if he wants chiles, he chooses and grows them. He grows hops - I don't mess with that garden.

And I have hydrangeas and zinnias from the yard on my desk at work:peace:

I hate gardening, but I love what the garden produces:thumbsup: So I've become half-way proficient at the process.....

9. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a topic dear to my heart, I am a huge fan of foods that are too hot to eat, love that endorphin rush. Currently in my garden I have Jalapenos, Banana Peppers, Tabascos, Thai Chiles, Red Habaneros, Ghosts and for the first time ever the Trinidad Scorpion. Great suggestions all, salsa first and foremost, next would be dried and crushed/ground. One suggestion I didnt notice is to smoke the Jalapenos and make your own chipotle sauce and adobo sauces, if he already cans some this is another thing to use those Balls jars for.

10. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well as long a i have taken my heartburn pill--I love any hot spicey food--I love cuttin chiles and addin to my scrambled eggs while enjoyin a spicey tito's bloody mary--:peace:

11. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jalapenos

How about making Jalapeno jelly or jam? I am sure you can find a recipe
    on-line.

What about Jalapeno corn bread? Easy to make.

I like to put diced Jalapenos inside re-fried beans. I then make Tostadas.
    Taste great.

Tuna fish sandwiches. You add diced jalapenos to the tuna salad mix.
    It taste great. I think college students created that sandwich.
    You can do the same to chicken salad sandwiches too. It taste great too.

Add slices of jalapenos to hamburgers and pizza.

Add diced jalapenos to cream cheese and spread it on a toasted bagel. Yum.
    You can also add your favorite jelly.

Add jalapenos to a home-made Denver Egg Omlette.

Grilled cheese sandwich with added diced jalapenos.lol. Must taste good.
    I am starting to create new ideas now. I better quit now. Lucy

12. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I put a thread throw them and dry them out by hanging them in the window for 6-12 months.......then chop them up with my coffee grinder and put them in a jar.....use them for spaghetti sauce and on pizza, etc.........here are some before drying.....

[​IMG]

13. bigbooner

bigbooner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worked with a guy who bought the hottest hot sauce money can buy. Put it on everything. Hamburgers, hot dogs, fish, mac and cheese, baked potato. You name it and he put it on. Of course I also watched him eat chocolate cake with chili and beans on top of it so there's that.

14. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have food dehydrators so we'll definitely be dehydrating & grinding some. Probably roasting too.

What about smoking? Anyone ever used a smoker? (we borrowed my in-laws electric smoker - I've done meats, cheese & nuts - no veggies....)

(these recipes - I know my husband will enjoy some of them, but I am grimacing :ssst:) I actually like heat - wasabi or horseradish, or even something like a thai green curry. But I do not like the flavor of jalapenos or cayenne.....

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A chipotle is a dried, smoked jalapeno, often packaged in adobo.

16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was roasted. Learning a lot of new stuff - thanks:thumbsup:

17. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hungarian wax or banana peppers, Cut the top, clean out the seeds and stuff with kraut. Then canned with vinegar & water 50/50, the amount of salt you would use for pickles, and sugar 5x pickle amount. Process 20 min. Amazing how good they are. Even my wife likes these.

Small Jalapeno peppers split and stuffed with cream cheese, then smoked.

18. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct sir except it is a dried smoked RED jalapeno which has to fully ripen on the plant to turn red. You can buy chipotles (the dry variety) at Mexican or Hispanic markets and it is called "Chile Morita".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle

You can make a wonderful sauce from the dried Moritas which is much better IMO than the canned variety.

19. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cayennes growing like crazy. Haven't used any of them yet. Hubby had jalapeno on his crab & avocado quesadilla last night. This morning, we picked ~10 anaheims and I will roast/peel/chop/freeze them today.

I have a feeling that come mid-July, we'll be up to our eyeballs in a bunch of everything!

20. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those peppers I posted are not cayenne's but kind of look like them......they are Hungarian Hot's......MUCH larger then cayennes but not quite as hot but much better flavor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.