1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

no more roasted bird at el co

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by chef, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Happened to notice the Flame took one of my favorite items off the menu - roasted chicken. Finding a properly-cooked moist bird is hard to find and the Flame was one of the few places that did it right. You got a whole small bird, with roasted potatoes and carrots in a savory broth. With a garbage salad on the side and ElCo's bread basket, what more does guy need.
    Sorry to see it go. And, unfortunately, it was replaced by the less-flavorful, albeit easier to prepare, boneless chicken breast.

2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just thinking of my first dinner at the El Cortez back in 1997 or more likely, in 1998. I stood in line for a little while in what was Roberta's. It wasn't quite as fancy with an upscale atmosphere but very comfortable where I enjoyed my first 20oz. Porterhouse Steak dinner with salad, baked potato, carrot and celery sticks etc. for not a lot of money. It was a bit smokey but I did enjoy the meal more than the Flame.

I miss a lot of the things that are no longer a part of the new Las Vegas, and, perhaps that's what is appealing about staying downtown, it seems more down to earth and catering to the working man. The Strip just seeks more pretentious.

Jimbo338

PS I miss the old Bay City Diner too!

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jimbo, I had this $24, 18 oz porterhouse, many times at the Redwood and it is good. Includes sides.

For some reason the link won't copy correctly but if you go the Cal and dine link:
    http://www.thecal.com/dine/redwood-bar-and-grill
    Then click on the more info tab on the poterhouse special.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahh, poulet roti. Such a simple pleasure, so easily botched by so many. If a place can't do a whole roasted bird properly it should not be allowed to put anything else on the menu. It's like a proper Mother Sauce, a basic but essential and time-honored skill.

Try it at Bouchon in Yountville some time.

5. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at the online menu, it appears that the Lamb Chops are gone as well. :cry: Best Lamb Chops we ever had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.