1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Review: Restaurant Guy Savoy

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by sageblue, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sageblue

sageblue High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had accumulated some $1400 in reward credits between the two of us thanks to the various Caesars promotions over the past year, so we decided to blow the majority of it at Restaurant Guy Savoy. We had the super-duper menu at Joel Robuchon a couple years ago, and that meal took five hours; we decided we weren't up for that much of a commitment, so we went instead for the Signature menu, at a relatively less ridiculous nine courses. We began with two glasses of champagne ($50 each) that were quite tasty as well as a couple of amuse bouches and the bread cart. There was a bacon brioche. Well, duh.

[​IMG]

Our first course was the Lobster in Cold Steam, with avocado and espelette pepper (we also chose the wine pairing, which I highly recommend). This dish was full of drama, as they poured water on the side of the dish, resulting in the cold steam emanating from the holes in the plate. It was dramatic, but the taste didn't really match the visuals, though it was still tasty.

[​IMG]

The next course was the "Colors of Caviar"; I can't remember what all the layers were, but they were all composed of caviars in different preparations. This was excellent, but you'd better love caviar, natch.

[​IMG]

The next course was the Crispy Sea Bass with Delicate Spices, which was delicious, but, again, not life-changing.

[​IMG]

The next course was a delightful foie-gras with a "bitter infusion": the foie gras was lightly seared and placed in a delicate tea of slightly bitter spices (BTW, the last two wines were amazing pairings; indeed, the wine (along with the bread) might be the best part of the meal).

[​IMG]

The center of the menu and probably the meal was the famous asparagus and black truffle soup with a toasted mushroom brioche and black truffle butter. I loved this soup, but throughout the meal I couldn't help comparing the meal to the one we had at Joel Robuchon: the chestnut soup we had during that meal created a lasting impression with me, but I don't know that this soup will do the same. It was awfully good though.

[​IMG]

The next course was probably my favorite, as the American Prime Beef Tenderloin and Paleron "a la Francaise" might be the best beef I've ever had. The sauce was perfectly matched and the beef just as tender as possible. It was really lovely.

[​IMG]

Next came the cheese course and then a substitute dessert of pineapple variations since we both hate coconut, the standard first dessert. That red spray is a candied hazelnut. Lovely and fanciful.

[​IMG]

The last course was a richer chocolate fondant with a crunchy praline and chicory cream. It was a lovely dessert.

[​IMG]

If you cannot tell, this meal didn't transport me, though everything was very good, including the service, which was attentive without being cloying (oh, and they gave us a brioche to go for the next morning; it was delightful). The total cost of the meal was almost exactly $1000. Would I go back there again and spend that kind of money? No. Might I go back and spend that kind of money at Joel Robuchon? Yes. So, if you've done JR, I would recommend doing GS to compare and have a wonderful if not life-changing meal. I might go back to GS for an a la carte meal if I was a big winner.

2. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the review. I have to agree Joel Robuchon is superior to Guy Savoy - thankfully we ate at Guy Savoy before we ate at Joel Robuchon, though - Guy Savoy is also a great restaurant, but it just pales in comparison to Joel Robuchon - everything about Joel Robuchon - the setting, the food, the service - is just a few notches higher than at Guy Savoy - though really it's almost not fair to Guy Savoy, since the Vegas Joel Robuchon is arguably one of the very best restaurants on the entire planet.

[I'm also a little surprised by how little the menu at Guy Savoy seems to have changed over the years - seems like a lot of the same dishes we had there years ago - I distinctly remember the lobster in cold steam, that is a stellar presentation - But Joel Robuchon definitely seems to update their menus more frequently]

So for anyone out there who's never tried either, if you're only going to try one, go with Joel Robuchon - but if you're planning on trying both, definitely do Guy Savoy first LOL

3. sageblue

sageblue High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did the Signature menu, so that's likely why you tried many of the same dishes we did.

4. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

Thanks for the review. GS and JR are both in the upper echelon of fine dining and as much as I enjoy it, I haven't bit the bullet to try either. I appreciate your thoughts on both. JR remains on the top of my list.

5. Dela_CruzinI77

Dela_CruzinI77 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guy Savoy has the new inspiration/innovation menu for $350 which consist of all new dishes.

I have both GS and JR booked next week, GS first day JR 4th day. A very nice woman named Ilona helped me customize a chefs menu for the chefs table, they're very accommodating and will go over the top in making you happy.

I plan to have the 16 and my gf the 6 course at JR, while I'm excited for JR I feel the uniqueness of sitting at a chefs table in GS has the potential to be a much better experience than JR.

6. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're eating at JR, make sure you take advantage of their free limo transport to & from your hotel - I'm always surprised to hear/read how many people have eaten at JR & not taken advantage of or didn't know about this great freebie - I can't remember if they told me about it when I made the reservation when we ate there or if I already knew to ask going in, but figured I'd FYI just in case you didn't know and/or they didn't mention it.

7. Dela_CruzinI77

Dela_CruzinI77 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They never did mention about the limo service but it's probably because I didn't mention its a special occasion.

I did call JR though, and while they do offer it- you have to call at least a week before your reservations. I don't know any other restaurants that offer this kind of service, the limo and the carts make the price of the full degustation a lot more tolerable.

I will have GS to compare with so I will be walking in JR with very high expectations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.